Tartarus

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Underworld Of Lightly (& Logically) Moderated Discussion & Debate

4 posters

Sex ( ... and some extra characters to make my heading range between 10 and 255 characters)

relict
    relict
    River-God
    River-God

Sex ( ... and some extra characters to make my heading range between 10 and 255 characters) Empty Sex ( ... and some extra characters to make my heading range between 10 and 255 characters)

Post  relict Wed Sep 23, 2009 10:20 am

In common English usage, 'gender' is often used to mean 'sex' - almost like a euphemism for people who want to avoid using the 's' word. I am not criticising those who do this - as I said - it is common usage, and it is not wrong since dictionaries acknowledge the use. It is understandable that people have a reluctance to use the 's' word in some contexts. I remember once using the word 'sex' for the meaning of 'male or female' when talking with some children, and the adults in the room stopped what they were doing and looked at me with shocked expressions as if I'd said something really really inappropriate!

The specific meaning of 'gender' is more to do with masculinity and femininity rather than male and female. Some of gender has to do with biology, but much of it is socially constructed. And while I have written in Tikva's feminism thread that I think that there are more than just physical differences between males and females in general, I do see some advantages (as well as disadvantages like the situation described above) of using the word 'sex' when meaning 'male or female'. One advantage is that it acknowledges the validity of people who don't fit all the masculine or feminine stereotypes.

Thoughts?
    Psalter
    Psalter
    River-God
    River-God

Sex ( ... and some extra characters to make my heading range between 10 and 255 characters) Empty Re: Sex ( ... and some extra characters to make my heading range between 10 and 255 characters)

Post  Psalter Wed Sep 23, 2009 10:46 am

In a class of 130 adults and 5 university tutors/lecturers (as distinct from adults)I was the only person able to define the difference between gender (as a social construct/personal affiliation) and sex (biology) when the question was asked by another student. It concerned me at the time.
    relict
    relict
    River-God
    River-God

Sex ( ... and some extra characters to make my heading range between 10 and 255 characters) Empty Re: Sex ( ... and some extra characters to make my heading range between 10 and 255 characters)

Post  relict Wed Sep 23, 2009 11:13 am

Psalter wrote:In a class of 130 adults and 5 university tutors/lecturers (as distinct from adults)I was the only person able to define the difference between gender (as a social construct/personal affiliation) and sex (biology) when the question was asked by another student. It concerned me at the time.

You must be kidding!
    relict
    relict
    River-God
    River-God

Post  relict Wed Sep 23, 2009 11:51 am

But yeah, I know you aren't.

Time has passed, and I'm still rather shocked. Perhaps 100-level psychology should be a compulsory paper in teaching degrees? You are talking about your teaching degree? The students I can forgive, as they come from diverse backgrounds ... but the lecturers? Shocked No
    master5o1
    master5o1
    Cyclopes
    Cyclopes

Post  master5o1 Wed Sep 23, 2009 12:17 pm

this is why transsexual is not the same as transgender.

transgender is born male, with penis, feels like a female (and vice versa).
    transsexual is born male, with penis, surgically changed to female (and vice versa).

this is all in the school health curriculum at high school
    Psalter
    Psalter
    River-God
    River-God

Post  Psalter Wed Sep 23, 2009 12:22 pm

relict wrote:But yeah, I know you aren't.

Time has passed, and I'm still rather shocked. Perhaps 100-level psychology should be a compulsory paper in teaching degrees? You are talking about your teaching degree? The students I can forgive, as they come from diverse backgrounds ... but the lecturers? Shocked No

See, this was a literacy paper... and we do have to do a 100 level psych paper and a 200. I don't know why... maybe they just didn't feel like explaining it? The lecturer says to the rest "can you explain the difference to her?" and they just shrug... the silence was palpable so I spoke up.

In literacy this year we watched an apple advert that has the end catch phrase "see why 1984 won't be like 1984"... the lecturer (to clarify) says "that's a reference to Orwell and his book Animal Farm"... I screamed on the inside.
    izzi
    izzi
    Nymph
    Nymph

Post  izzi Wed Sep 23, 2009 3:44 pm

Psalter wrote:

In literacy this year we watched an apple advert that has the end catch phrase "see why 1984 won't be like 1984"... the lecturer (to clarify) says "that's a reference to Orwell and his book Animal Farm"... I screamed on the inside.

1984 refers to Animal Farm?

I think you should have screamed on the outside Surprised
    Psalter
    Psalter
    River-God
    River-God

Post  Psalter Wed Sep 23, 2009 3:51 pm

izzi wrote:
    1984 refers to Animal Farm?

I think you should have screamed on the outside Surprised

Naw, I went and corrected her after the lecture in the hope she would remedy her mistake at some point... she didn't.
    izzi
    izzi
    Nymph
    Nymph

Post  izzi Wed Sep 23, 2009 5:43 pm

All for the good really. I has kept me reading about Mr Blair/ Orwell for over an hour now.

Current date/time is Sat Apr 27, 2024 12:30 am