Tartarus

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Underworld Of Lightly (& Logically) Moderated Discussion & Debate

+6
Lynz
Kosmick
Tikva
relict
the distant one
Waireka
10 posters

Maori Party pushes for separate prison

Waireka
    Waireka
    River-God
    River-God

Maori Party pushes for separate prison Empty Maori Party pushes for separate prison

Post  Waireka Wed Apr 15, 2009 9:50 pm

The Maori Party is promoting the concept of a separate Maori prison with a strong focus on rehabilitation, it was reported today.

The New Zealand Herald report said Maori Party co-leader Pita Sharples wants a 60-bed institution in an urban centre where inmates could prove they were serious about turning their lives around.

It would be run by a runanga, or committee, involving local iwi and inmates would be involved in the day-to-day operation of the prison.

Under the concept, inmates could go flatting and become involved in community projects.

Dr Sharples said there was no reason for public concern.

Corrections Minister Judith Collins said she was keen on the idea.
    Waireka
    Waireka
    River-God
    River-God

Maori Party pushes for separate prison Empty Re: Maori Party pushes for separate prison

Post  Waireka Wed Apr 15, 2009 9:51 pm

Assuming ethnicity wasn't an entry requirement (being govt funded) I think it's just another good rehabilitation program.
    the distant one
    the distant one
    Nymph
    Nymph

Maori Party pushes for separate prison Empty Re: Maori Party pushes for separate prison

Post  the distant one Wed Apr 15, 2009 9:55 pm

the whole idea is that maori and re habilitating maori so it would be based on ethnicity.

whilst there have been reports on there immersion units working I'm sire they dont have any greater success rate...
    Waireka
    Waireka
    River-God
    River-God

Post  Waireka Wed Apr 15, 2009 9:59 pm

the distant one wrote:the whole idea is that maori and re habilitating maori so it would be based on ethnicity.

whilst there have been reports on there immersion units working I'm sire they dont have any greater success rate...

It would be based on culture I'd say.

Much like Kura Kaupapa.

I don't know much about prison or rehabilitation programs.
    relict
    relict
    River-God
    River-God

Post  relict Wed Apr 15, 2009 10:40 pm

Waireka wrote:Assuming ethnicity wasn't an entry requirement (being govt funded) I think it's just another good rehabilitation program.

I got the impression anyone could choose the option.

Sounds like a great idea, though plenty of people will kick up a stink / misunderstand / waste time spouting off about it.
    Tikva
    Tikva
    Nymph
    Nymph

Post  Tikva Thu Apr 16, 2009 9:23 am

Due to it being called a "separate Maori Prison", I am of the understanding that it is for Maori only. I do wonder however if potential prisoners of have to prove their Whakapapa before being allowed to spend their 'time' there?

I think that as long as it held the same security as any other Prison, whether inside or outside in the community working on projects, it's not a bad idea.

However, I personally would like to see Individual Therapy (Psychotherapy, CBT, Gestalt, Psychology, etc.) an easily accessible part of every New Zealand Prison, particularly when it is recommended by the Judge at the time of sentencing. And yes, I freely admit that this is a pet project of mine at the moment!

Yes, the Prisoners are in Prison because they committed crimes, and that is where they should be. These days, whilst there, there are many Educational opportunities available, which is great, but there is very limited availability to Mental Health resources. My Son has been in some form of incarceration for a year now, and it is only last week that he finally (after a phone call by me to the Manager of the Prison) has started to see a qualified Therapist to help him work through his past issues, some of which no doubt led to his offending. When people are in Prison, they have a lot of 'time' ~ time that could be used to rehabilitate their minds and behaviours through access to Mental Health support.

I believe that this, along with the educational programs available in prisons today, would go a long way towards rehabilitation.

This part of my website is fairly new, and I still have much work to do on it, but the main content, which is the letters that my Son has sent me since his sentencing, is already there, and maybe those interested might see the same need that I have mentioned above. The URL is at this link, and this takes you to his first letter.
    Kosmick
    Giant
    Giant

Post  Kosmick Thu Apr 16, 2009 10:54 am

Tikva wrote:Due to it being called a "separate Maori Prison", I am of the understanding that it is for Maori only. I do wonder however if potential prisoners of have to prove their Whakapapa before being allowed to spend their 'time' there?

I think that as long as it held the same security as any other Prison, whether inside or outside in the community working on projects, it's not a bad idea.

However, I personally would like to see Individual Therapy (Psychotherapy, CBT, Gestalt, Psychology, etc.) an easily accessible part of every New Zealand Prison, particularly when it is recommended by the Judge at the time of sentencing. And yes, I freely admit that this is a pet project of mine at the moment!

Yes, the Prisoners are in Prison because they committed crimes, and that is where they should be. These days, whilst there, there are many Educational opportunities available, which is great, but there is very limited availability to Mental Health resources. My Son has been in some form of incarceration for a year now, and it is only last week that he finally (after a phone call by me to the Manager of the Prison) has started to see a qualified Therapist to help him work through his past issues, some of which no doubt led to his offending. When people are in Prison, they have a lot of 'time' ~ time that could be used to rehabilitate their minds and behaviours through access to Mental Health support.

I believe that this, along with the educational programs available in prisons today, would go a long way towards rehabilitation.

This part of my website is fairly new, and I still have much work to do on it, but the main content, which is the letters that my Son has sent me since his sentencing, is already there, and maybe those interested might see the same need that I have mentioned above. The URL is at this link, and this takes you to his first letter.

Agree

Why not have the above advantages for all prisoners, not just Maori. In some instances Maori go too far with their demands and are seen as activist and all for aparthied (sp)
    Waireka
    Waireka
    River-God
    River-God

Post  Waireka Thu Apr 16, 2009 11:01 am

Like I've said already, I doubt it will be race based, it will be culture based, I doubt they'll exclude anyone based on race and IF they do, then they can't claim govt funding.
    Lynz
    Lynz
    Nymph
    Nymph

Post  Lynz Thu Apr 16, 2009 1:00 pm

Hmmm, I see the success rate over present Institutions is claimed to be 7%. That's got to be close to the margin of error.

In principal, if improved outcomes are the result, then I'd be in favour. But I think it would have the potential to become just another gravy train for those running it.
    Tikva
    Tikva
    Nymph
    Nymph

Post  Tikva Thu Apr 16, 2009 3:25 pm

Waireka wrote:Like I've said already, I doubt it will be race based, it will be culture based, I doubt they'll exclude anyone based on race and IF they do, then they can't claim govt funding.

Yeah, I know I'm a bit thick, but I don't quite understand the difference when it comes to Maori. They are a Race, and they are also a Culture, or have I got that wrong?
    Waireka
    Waireka
    River-God
    River-God

Post  Waireka Thu Apr 16, 2009 5:04 pm

Tikva wrote:
    Waireka wrote:Like I've said already, I doubt it will be race based, it will be culture based, I doubt they'll exclude anyone based on race and IF they do, then they can't claim govt funding.

Yeah, I know I'm a bit thick, but I don't quite understand the difference when it comes to Maori. They are a Race, and they are also a Culture, or have I got that wrong?

Race based means it's exclusive to those with the right skin colour/family tree.

Maori culture is not race based... You can speak Maori, adhere to Maori traditions etc... without being Maori.
    master5o1
    master5o1
    Cyclopes
    Cyclopes

Post  master5o1 Thu Apr 16, 2009 5:24 pm

Waireka wrote:
    Tikva wrote:

Race based means it's exclusive to those with the right skin colour/family tree.

Maori culture is not race based... You can speak Maori, adhere to Maori traditions etc... without being Maori.

I am not a plug!
    the distant one
    the distant one
    Nymph
    Nymph

Post  the distant one Fri Apr 17, 2009 2:21 pm

not true. unless ou are saying that applies only for corrections. my old job was all about government funded education for specific ethnicities mostly ikslanders but also maori
    Waireka
    Waireka
    River-God
    River-God

Post  Waireka Fri Apr 17, 2009 2:35 pm

the distant one wrote:

not true. unless ou are saying that applies only for corrections. my old job was all about government funded education for specific ethnicities mostly ikslanders but also maori

So the people participating had to provide proof of ethnicity?

If a white kid rolled up he'd be declined based on his ethnicity?
    the distant one
    the distant one
    Nymph
    Nymph

Post  the distant one Fri Apr 17, 2009 2:38 pm

Waireka wrote:
    the distant one wrote:

yes and yes, i would turn away white kids, indian kids, asian kids. There were two types of funding one based on marks at school which was open and one b ased on ethnicity
    Waireka
    Waireka
    River-God
    River-God

Post  Waireka Fri Apr 17, 2009 2:39 pm

the distant one wrote:
    Waireka wrote:
    the distant one wrote:

yes and yes, i would turn away white kids, indian kids, asian kids. There were two types of funding one based on marks at school which was open and one b ased on ethnicity

Ugh, that's so wrong.

I stand corrected. Thanks TDO.
    the distant one
    the distant one
    Nymph
    Nymph

Post  the distant one Fri Apr 17, 2009 2:45 pm

yeah in black and white it is. but i understand the reasons. maori and pi kids (and adults) are under represented in areas like healthcare. so these courses got them to a level where they could apply to MIT or somewhere to do their diploma or a degree. getting them their basic high school education but with a direction.

same with getting them into the miltary and police. those were the main three. which is why John Keys boot camp speechs are a bit boring. there is heaps of funding out there for individuals ready to be tapped but not alot fo support for the places that run the courses.
    Waireka
    Waireka
    River-God
    River-God

Post  Waireka Fri Apr 17, 2009 3:09 pm

the distant one wrote:yeah in black and white it is. but i understand the reasons. maori and pi kids (and adults) are under represented in areas like healthcare. so these courses got them to a level where they could apply to MIT or somewhere to do their diploma or a degree. getting them their basic high school education but with a direction.

same with getting them into the miltary and police. those were the main three. which is why John Keys boot camp speechs are a bit boring. there is heaps of funding out there for individuals ready to be tapped but not alot fo support for the places that run the courses.

If interest is shown for the 'special character' the culturally aimed programs provide, then I think acceptance should be there.

Speaking as a discriminated against little white girl.
    Don Speekingleesh
    Mortal
    Mortal

Post  Don Speekingleesh Sun Apr 19, 2009 12:57 pm

Saw the title and thought "yes. Lock up Turia, Horomia and Peters... and Tuku Morgan, while you are at it!"
    relict
    relict
    River-God
    River-God

Post  relict Sun Apr 19, 2009 1:03 pm

Don Speekingleesh wrote:Saw the title and thought "yes. Lock up Turia, Horomia and Peters... and Tuku Morgan, while you are at it!"

Why?
    Anjewel
    Anjewel
    Nymph
    Nymph

Post  Anjewel Sun Apr 19, 2009 2:07 pm

Why do we need more segretation in this Country...?...
    Summoner
    Summoner
    Nymph
    Nymph

Post  Summoner Sun Apr 19, 2009 11:45 pm

I have to agree with Anjewel. The reason why this country is on it's ass is due to the fact that in such a modern world it still comes down to them and us. Which creates the group we call feeblets who then cry about everything they feel is unfair to them.
    Tikva
    Tikva
    Nymph
    Nymph

Post  Tikva Mon Apr 20, 2009 12:03 am

And it always will come down to them and us. Whether it be male and female, rich or poor, strong or weak, straight or gay, CEO or Cleaner....................the possibilities of "them" and "us" are endless.
    Summoner
    Summoner
    Nymph
    Nymph

Post  Summoner Mon Apr 20, 2009 12:10 am

Tikva wrote:And it always will come down to them and us. Whether it be male and female, rich or poor, strong or weak, straight or gay, CEO or Cleaner....................the possibilities of "them" and "us" are endless.

Perhaps, but for this instance and in relation to the topic. The "them and us" I speak of is race related...

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu May 02, 2024 11:19 am