Tartarus

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Underworld Of Lightly (& Logically) Moderated Discussion & Debate

+9
relict
83T'na
woody67
Sassydot
Tara
____
ChelseaT
ydekm
Spooky_Child
13 posters

Depression: Unconventional Ideas

____
    ____
    Nymph
    Nymph

Depression: Unconventional Ideas - Page 2 Empty Re: Depression: Unconventional Ideas

Post  ____ Wed Jun 09, 2010 9:36 pm

I feel it's worth pointing out also that there is an association between depression and marijuana use.
    relict
    relict
    River-God
    River-God

Depression: Unconventional Ideas - Page 2 Empty Re: Depression: Unconventional Ideas

Post  relict Wed Jun 09, 2010 9:40 pm

Good nutrition can be one factor in reducing depression.

That is, a wide range of high quality fresh vegetables and fruit, nuts, seeds, and also products made from whole grains, for example, freshly stone-ground flour. Supermarket flour is just white flour with some bran added back, missing most of the nutrients (because the germ shortens the shelf life), and also flour oxidises once it is ground and left sitting on the shelf.

Well, you did ask for unconventional. Wink

All the best for rediscovering joy!
    relict
    relict
    River-God
    River-God

Post  relict Wed Jun 09, 2010 9:41 pm

ChelseaT wrote:Isn't it B12 in marmite?

Those yeast based spreads usually have a range of B vitamins.
    Anjewel
    Anjewel
    Nymph
    Nymph

Post  Anjewel Wed Jun 09, 2010 9:42 pm

____ wrote:I feel it's worth pointing out also that there is an association between depression and marijuana use.

Agreed. It can take the problem away immediately, but after the high, the problem is more enhanced.

Have you tried Citalopram from the Doctor? It may take from 2 - 8 weeks to kick in, but I have seen it make some positive changes in people suffering from anxiety and depression.
    83T'na
    83T'na
    Nymph
    Nymph

Post  83T'na Wed Jun 09, 2010 9:42 pm

ChelseaT wrote:Isn't it B12 in marmite?

On the label it says 'five B vitamins, B12 and Iron', ChelseaT.

Kieran is correct as well - wacky backy may well be exaserbating(sp?) your depression. I would knock it off altogether.

Last edited by 83T'na on Wed Jun 09, 2010 9:43 pm; edited 1 time in total
    relict
    relict
    River-God
    River-God

Post  relict Wed Jun 09, 2010 9:43 pm

83T'na wrote:... are you getting enough sex?

No, that's not a joke.

... You can't do a 'feast or famine' thing though. It has to be a regular thing with someone you care a lot about. Check with your GP - they might be able to suggest something.

You really sure you wanted the 'check with your GP' in the same paragraph, 83T'na? Razz
    83T'na
    83T'na
    Nymph
    Nymph

Post  83T'na Wed Jun 09, 2010 9:45 pm

relict wrote:
    83T'na wrote:... are you getting enough sex?

No, that's not a joke.

... You can't do a 'feast or famine' thing though. It has to be a regular thing with someone you care a lot about. Check with your GP - they might be able to suggest something.

You really sure you wanted the 'check with your GP' in the same paragraph, 83T'na? Razz

Embarassed I meant, 'something else', as in an alternative?
    ChelseaT
    ChelseaT
    Nymph
    Nymph

Post  ChelseaT Wed Jun 09, 2010 9:53 pm

Anjewel wrote:
    ____ wrote:I feel it's worth pointing out also that there is an association between depression and marijuana use.

Agreed. It can take the problem away immediately, but after the high, the problem is more enhanced.

Have you tried Citalopram from the Doctor? It may take from 2 - 8 weeks to kick in, but I have seen it make some positive changes in people suffering from anxiety and depression.

I've seen of some pretty awesome results from Citalopram. Sometimes it might take a few goes to get the right medication. Not all of them will have the 'numb' side effect.
    83T'na
    83T'na
    Nymph
    Nymph

Post  83T'na Wed Jun 09, 2010 10:36 pm

ChelseaT wrote:
    Anjewel wrote:

I've seen of some pretty awesome results from Citalopram. Sometimes it might take a few goes to get the right medication. Not all of them will have the 'numb' side effect.

I have used Citalopram myself. As with the marijuana though, it worked for a while and the effects lessened over time. Although, I was lucky to miss out on most of the withdrawl effects some get.
    woody67
    woody67
    Nymph
    Nymph

Post  woody67 Wed Jun 09, 2010 10:51 pm

____ wrote:
    woody67 wrote:Fuck as far as I'm concerned if you can see the humour in your depression your awesome!...It's a part of life IMO was it kahil gibram (sp is fuckd) that said how can you feel truly happy if you have never felt truly sad?

Another important thing to do IMO is to dump shit and move on ..I have actually had a wee toke and mentally packed up crap from my childhood or ex relationship etc put it in a suitcase (size of, dependant on amount of down) and imagined walking down an empty road and leaving it on the curb and then walking onwards.....works for me.

A good rogering is handy as well.

As an aside can anyone tell me at which part in our history did feeling low become taboo?

That stuff's all well and good for feeling sad, but for actual, proper depression, it's just not good advice at all.

I have had life experiences that doctors have suggested I should take antidepressants for, I have always believed that my depression /anxiety stems from an event in my life as opposed to a serotonin imbalance and therefore have never taken medication (as such) for it. life throws curve balls at us all....child abuse/molestation/rape/suicide of a loved one etc.... I do not believe "medication" can help in these scenarios I believe solving how we personally deal with the curve ball is the answer...mine is the visualisation of a suitcase and leaving it behind and at times a good rogering and as I recall the thread topic was Alternative or "different" ways to deal with the shit that is life at times.

And BTW what the fuck is "proper depression"??

Does this mean that some people have "improper depression? or that what they consider to be depression isn't really depression at all?
    83T'na
    83T'na
    Nymph
    Nymph

Post  83T'na Wed Jun 09, 2010 11:03 pm

[quote="woody67"]
    ____ wrote:
    woody67 wrote:That stuff's all well and good for feeling sad, but for actual, proper depression, it's just not good advice at all.

I have had life experiences that doctors have suggested I should take antidepressants for, I have always believed that my depression /anxiety stems from an event in my life as opposed to a serotonin imbalance and therefore have never taken medication (as such) for it. life throws curve balls at us all....child abuse/molestation/rape/suicide of a loved one etc.... I do not believe "medication" can help in these scenarios I believe solving how we personally deal with the curve ball is the answer...mine is the visualisation of a suitcase and leaving it behind and at times a good rogering and as I recall the thread topic was Alternative or "different" ways to deal with the shit that is life at times.

Does this mean that some people have "improper depression? or that what they consider to be depression isn't really depression at all?

Perhaps what Kieran means is there a difference between having a month in a funk and a full blown, clinical depression where your physiology is affected?

Your approach is great, except for some people it doesn't work as well without some chemical back up.
    woody67
    woody67
    Nymph
    Nymph

Post  woody67 Wed Jun 09, 2010 11:16 pm

purely as an aside why do you call savant by his real name in here? when to my mind if he wanted to be called by his real name he would post under it?
    83T'na
    83T'na
    Nymph
    Nymph

Post  83T'na Wed Jun 09, 2010 11:28 pm

woody67 wrote:purely as an aside why do you call savant by his real name in here? when to my mind if he wanted to be called by his real name he would post under it?

I can never remember how many ____________ are in his screen name. He hasn't objected yet - if he does, I'll stop.
    relict
    relict
    River-God
    River-God

Post  relict Thu Jun 10, 2010 5:09 am

83T'na wrote:
    woody67 wrote:purely as an aside why do you call savant by his real name in here? when to my mind if he wanted to be called by his real name he would post under it?

I can never remember how many ____________ are in his screen name. He hasn't objected yet - if he does, I'll stop.

Copy pasta
    83T'na
    83T'na
    Nymph
    Nymph

Post  83T'na Thu Jun 10, 2010 8:13 am

I'm not the only one who does it.
    ydekm
    Nymph
    Nymph

Post  ydekm Thu Jun 10, 2010 8:52 am

I call him Kieran.... if he isn't going to be Savant, I will call him Kieran.

Just like I call Summoner, Kimarhi.
    Spooky_Child
    Spooky_Child
    Mortal
    Mortal

Post  Spooky_Child Thu Jun 10, 2010 11:26 am

woody67 wrote:
    ____ wrote:
    woody67 wrote:Fuck as far as I'm concerned if you can see the humour in your depression your awesome!...It's a part of life IMO was it kahil gibram (sp is fuckd) that said how can you feel truly happy if you have never felt truly sad?

Another important thing to do IMO is to dump shit and move on ..I have actually had a wee toke and mentally packed up crap from my childhood or ex relationship etc put it in a suitcase (size of, dependant on amount of down) and imagined walking down an empty road and leaving it on the curb and then walking onwards.....works for me.

A good rogering is handy as well.

As an aside can anyone tell me at which part in our history did feeling low become taboo?

That stuff's all well and good for feeling sad, but for actual, proper depression, it's just not good advice at all.

Yes Woody you are right it was an event which fucked me up which is why I know its not the depression and as for marijuana being able to cause it I know this but I also know that since I started smoking the moments of utter shittiness have not been as bad. Like I said earlier I went down the road of trying to end it all then a few years later discovered weed and it helped me I know with some people it doesn't and I respect that.

I just want other ways so I do not become reliant on any drugs what so ever. I mean I would still have the occasional toke but that would be more social than trying to forget shit.
    canterella
    canterella
    Nymph
    Nymph

Post  canterella Thu Jun 10, 2010 11:46 am

Spooky_Child,I don't know much about depression, but maybe a book "Taming the black dog" by Bev Aisbett may help a little. If you can't find it in your local library drop me a PM and I can send it to you.
    metcalfj
    metcalfj
    Nymph
    Nymph

Post  metcalfj Thu Jun 10, 2010 8:29 pm

Eat more turkey
    Spooky_Child
    Spooky_Child
    Mortal
    Mortal

Post  Spooky_Child Thu Jun 10, 2010 8:33 pm

metcalfj wrote:Eat more turkey
    I fucking LOVE turkey good idea! Laughing
    metcalfj
    metcalfj
    Nymph
    Nymph

Post  metcalfj Thu Jun 10, 2010 8:39 pm

I have been told (although I cannot back this up with any meaningful research) that turkey is actually high in a particular natural anti-depressant. Also, it is yummy.
    metcalfj
    metcalfj
    Nymph
    Nymph

Post  metcalfj Thu Jun 10, 2010 8:46 pm

Eating more Turks, however, may not have the desired result.
    ____
    ____
    Nymph
    Nymph

Post  ____ Thu Jun 10, 2010 9:51 pm

metcalfj wrote:I have been told (although I cannot back this up with any meaningful research) that turkey is actually high in a particular natural anti-depressant. Also, it is yummy.

Tryptophan, I think, and I believe it also makes you sleepy.
    Tikva
    Tikva
    Nymph
    Nymph

Post  Tikva Fri Jun 11, 2010 1:40 pm

To the original Poster of this thread:

As the depression you are experiencing is associated with a particular event/s, then the best option would be Psychotherapy, Gestalt Therapy, or Cognitive Behaviour Therapy, and the like.

There is an Online CBT Course available at http://www.depressioncenter.net, where you can also take the 'Depression Test'. You receive the results of the test in a format which you can present to your Doctor.

Every individual is different, and whilst CBT may work for some, it may not work for others. For me personally, I found Gestalt Therapy to be the most beneficial, but just can't afford it long term.

Hope that helps a little......

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Tue Mar 19, 2024 11:22 pm