Tartarus

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Underworld Of Lightly (& Logically) Moderated Discussion & Debate

+9
relict
83T'na
woody67
Sassydot
Tara
____
ChelseaT
ydekm
Spooky_Child
13 posters

Depression: Unconventional Ideas

Spooky_Child
    Spooky_Child
    Mortal
    Mortal

Depression: Unconventional Ideas Empty Depression: Unconventional Ideas

Post  Spooky_Child Wed Jun 09, 2010 6:47 pm

OK so I suffer from depression I'm not afraid to admit and hey even I take the piss out of it. I was wondering if anybody had any unconventional ways of helping with it? I tried the meds and found they made me feel like a zombie and found nothing exciting, funny or sad, basically I lost all emotion and I hated that. I used marijuana as I found it helps but I got to a point where it started affecting my work and making me feel like crap the next morning so I stopped for awhile an now use it again but its a hell of a lot less than it use to be. I find it helps a lot but I don't want to get reliant on it or just have it to much since it also quite expensive and I know its not good for my health.

Any help?
    ydekm
    Nymph
    Nymph

Depression: Unconventional Ideas Empty Re: Depression: Unconventional Ideas

Post  ydekm Wed Jun 09, 2010 6:49 pm

My friend recommends sunbeds and exercise.

She was suffering from depression and anxiety and it really helped.
    ChelseaT
    ChelseaT
    Nymph
    Nymph

Post  ChelseaT Wed Jun 09, 2010 6:51 pm

Lists.

Glorious lists.
    ____
    ____
    Nymph
    Nymph

Post  ____ Wed Jun 09, 2010 6:52 pm

I don't actually know, or can't remember what I did when I had my bout with depression. Basically spent about a year in my room, in the dark, being emo with the curtains closed, leaving only to eat, shit, shower and school.

I'm a big fan of the Barney Stinson school of Depression treatment though:

Whenever I get sad, I stop being sad and be awesome instead. True story.
    Spooky_Child
    Spooky_Child
    Mortal
    Mortal

Post  Spooky_Child Wed Jun 09, 2010 6:53 pm

I go to the gym every morning and that helped for awhile but now its just another part of life for me unfortunately. Also I don't do well with sunbeds I'm very white even have ranga facial hair...(maybe that's why I'm so sad lol)

Joking is one way I choose to get round it which is why I take the piss a lot but turns out some people get really offended and it makes them sad...
    ydekm
    Nymph
    Nymph

Post  ydekm Wed Jun 09, 2010 6:54 pm

Spooky_Child wrote:I go to the gym every morning and that helped for awhile but now its just another part of life for me unfortunately. Also I don't do well with sunbeds I'm very white even have ranga facial hair...(maybe that's why I'm so sad lol)

Joking is one way I choose to get round it which is why I take the piss a lot but turns out some people get really offended and it makes them sad...

Hmm what about outdoor exercise? I know it's shitty as weather but cycling or some shit?
    ____
    ____
    Nymph
    Nymph

Post  ____ Wed Jun 09, 2010 6:55 pm

The ranga-ness could be an issue you need to deal with.
    Tara
    Mortal
    Mortal

Post  Tara Wed Jun 09, 2010 6:56 pm

ChelseaT wrote:Lists.

Glorious lists.

Elaborate?

I adore lists. Well, over planning in general actually. It's kind of weird.

Original topic, sorry no helpful advice from me at all, but I hope you do find something that helps.
    Sassydot
    Sassydot
    Nymph
    Nymph

Post  Sassydot Wed Jun 09, 2010 6:58 pm

cut out caffeine (and chocolate, if you eat it, there's a decent amount of caffeine in cocoa) if you haven't already
    B6 supplements - I found the exec stress B ones good, too be honest, but I think B6 is the main one if you don't want to choke down a horse pill every day.
    There's a book around, fucked if I can remember who it's by now, Andrew someone or someone Andrews... called Being Happy. Take it with a grain of salt, it's a bit self-love-y, but there is some decent stuff in there.
    ChelseaT
    ChelseaT
    Nymph
    Nymph

Post  ChelseaT Wed Jun 09, 2010 7:03 pm

Tara wrote:
    ChelseaT wrote:Lists.

Glorious lists.

Elaborate?

I adore lists. Well, over planning in general actually. It's kind of weird.

Not weird at all.

Write a list of things you want to do and do them.

Write a list of things that suck and their solutions and then work through them.

List of awesome things in your life.
    Spooky_Child
    Spooky_Child
    Mortal
    Mortal

Post  Spooky_Child Wed Jun 09, 2010 7:04 pm

Well, over planning in general actually. It's kind of weird.
    I over plan things and end up doing a shit load of maths while I do my normal job including working out I spend roughly 6 and a half weeks a year washing my machine up at work.

Hmm what about outdoor exercise? I know it's shitty as weather but cycling or some shit?
    Is something I could try, maybe going for a run. Just have to work round my partner with her working and having a kid can make it difficult as the time she finishes its dark.
    ____
    ____
    Nymph
    Nymph

Post  ____ Wed Jun 09, 2010 7:05 pm

Spooky_Child wrote:
    Well, over planning in general actually. It's kind of weird.
    I over plan things and end up doing a shit load of maths while I do my normal job including working out I spend roughly 6 and a half weeks a year washing my machine up at work.

Is something I could try, maybe going for a run. Just have to work round my partner with her working and having a kid can make it difficult as the time she finishes its dark.

I can vouch for the running thing actually, it does make me feel particularly good for quite a long time afterwards, mentally anyway. Physically I hurt.
    Sassydot
    Sassydot
    Nymph
    Nymph

Post  Sassydot Wed Jun 09, 2010 7:07 pm

Spooky_Child wrote:

Running is awesome.
    Do you mean you have to look after the kid? Put him/her in a pushchair - they love it. Or one of those backpack thingies and do a hard walk.
    Spooky_Child
    Spooky_Child
    Mortal
    Mortal

Post  Spooky_Child Wed Jun 09, 2010 7:09 pm

Sassydot wrote:cut out caffeine...
    B6 supplements - I found the exec stress B ones good, too be honest, but I think B6 is the main one if you don't want to choke down a horse pill every day.

I have one coffee in the morning and one at lunch any more makes me feel sick and I only do that during the week weekends I only have one. As for the B vitamins I eat a crap load of vegemite go through a medium jar by myself every fortnight but from what I just read on the jar I don't think it has B6 though.
    Spooky_Child
    Spooky_Child
    Mortal
    Mortal

Post  Spooky_Child Wed Jun 09, 2010 7:11 pm

Do you mean you have to look after the kid?
    Oh yea I mean look after him. I guess I am just going to have to try and get out after work even if all I feel like doing is relaxing and bumming round. Will try though.
    ____
    ____
    Nymph
    Nymph

Post  ____ Wed Jun 09, 2010 7:14 pm

I tend to find a run in the morning, first thing before work, is much better than after work. You start with more energy and wind up feeling good for most of the morning, rather than being drained at the end of a potentially shitty day.
    Sassydot
    Sassydot
    Nymph
    Nymph

Post  Sassydot Wed Jun 09, 2010 7:14 pm

Spooky_Child wrote:
    Do you mean you have to look after the kid?
    Oh yea I mean look after him. I guess I am just going to have to try and get out after work even if all I feel like doing is relaxing and bumming round. Will try though.

Strangely enough, once you get into it, it usually stops feeling like something you 'have' to do and something you actually want to go do!

What about in the morning instead?
    lunch time?
    Spooky_Child
    Spooky_Child
    Mortal
    Mortal

Post  Spooky_Child Wed Jun 09, 2010 7:18 pm

I start work at 7 before that I'm at the gym starting from about 5:30-6am until work. Lunch time I only get half an hour as I have to finish at 3:30 to get home to pick my son up from day care.
    ____
    ____
    Nymph
    Nymph

Post  ____ Wed Jun 09, 2010 7:20 pm

Sounds like you're getting too much sleep. Get up at 3, be a champion.
    woody67
    woody67
    Nymph
    Nymph

Post  woody67 Wed Jun 09, 2010 8:15 pm

Fuck as far as I'm concerned if you can see the humour in your depression your awesome!...It's a part of life IMO was it kahil gibram (sp is fuckd) that said how can you feel truly happy if you have never felt truly sad?

Another important thing to do IMO is to dump shit and move on ..I have actually had a wee toke and mentally packed up crap from my childhood or ex relationship etc put it in a suitcase (size of, dependant on amount of down) and imagined walking down an empty road and leaving it on the curb and then walking onwards.....works for me.

A good rogering is handy as well.

As an aside can anyone tell me at which part in our history did feeling low become taboo?
    Spooky_Child
    Spooky_Child
    Mortal
    Mortal

Post  Spooky_Child Wed Jun 09, 2010 8:24 pm

Another important thing to do IMO is to dump shit and move on
    I just wish it was that easy at times I have a toke forget about it eat a shit load of food because of the toke then a few days sometimes weeks it all comes back and I remember what it was that started everything. If its a chemical imbalance like some depression can be might it could be a bit easier to just move on ( I say might I do not know for sure sorry) unfortunately mine is a fuck up from my child hood that continues to haunt me and it did take me right down to rock bottom right down to the slashing of the wrist and the tying of the noose while I have managed to get nowhere near as low as that again I do get worried that sometimes I might go there again and it scares the shit out of me.

Regards to the joking thing I even make jokes about the scar on my wrist and tell people I'm only allowed safety scissors. Laughing
    Sassydot
    Sassydot
    Nymph
    Nymph

Post  Sassydot Wed Jun 09, 2010 9:03 pm

have you looked at the new website that JK has been advertising on telly recently? http://www.thelowdown.co.nz/
    not sure what its like cos my net is being wanky so it won't load proper...
    ____
    ____
    Nymph
    Nymph

Post  ____ Wed Jun 09, 2010 9:07 pm

woody67 wrote:Fuck as far as I'm concerned if you can see the humour in your depression your awesome!...It's a part of life IMO was it kahil gibram (sp is fuckd) that said how can you feel truly happy if you have never felt truly sad?

Another important thing to do IMO is to dump shit and move on ..I have actually had a wee toke and mentally packed up crap from my childhood or ex relationship etc put it in a suitcase (size of, dependant on amount of down) and imagined walking down an empty road and leaving it on the curb and then walking onwards.....works for me.

A good rogering is handy as well.

As an aside can anyone tell me at which part in our history did feeling low become taboo?

That stuff's all well and good for feeling sad, but for actual, proper depression, it's just not good advice at all.
    83T'na
    83T'na
    Nymph
    Nymph

Post  83T'na Wed Jun 09, 2010 9:29 pm

Sassydot wrote:have you looked at the new website that JK has been advertising on telly recently? http://www.thelowdown.co.nz/
    not sure what its like cos my net is being wanky so it won't load proper...

I was also going to suggest JK and his website.

Aside from that, (from a regular victim of depression), are you getting enough sex?

No, that's not a joke.

Being female, it might be different for me, but I have found that the encouragement of particular hormones (don't ask me which ones) do relieve the symptoms for some days afterwards. You can't do a 'feast or famine' thing though. It has to be a regular thing with someone you care a lot about. Check with your GP - they might be able to suggest something.

If you want B6, try Marmite rather than that shit Aussie knock off.
    ChelseaT
    ChelseaT
    Nymph
    Nymph

Post  ChelseaT Wed Jun 09, 2010 9:36 pm

Isn't it B12 in marmite?

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Tue Mar 19, 2024 6:43 pm