Tartarus

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Underworld Of Lightly (& Logically) Moderated Discussion & Debate

+12
frup
master5o1
Waireka
woody67
Lynz
dabiarch
Sassydot
____
izzi
Psalter
83T'na
ydekm
16 posters

Is it just me...

ydekm
    Nymph
    Nymph

Is it just me... Empty Is it just me...

Post  ydekm Wed Jun 09, 2010 11:06 am

But lately I've felt hesitant to post anything in here that could identify me IRL.
    I realise that anyone who has me on facebook, or is a friend of a friend on facebook could track me down easily.
    Just paranoia maybe.
    83T'na
    83T'na
    Nymph
    Nymph

Is it just me... Empty Re: Is it just me...

Post  83T'na Wed Jun 09, 2010 11:07 am

ydekm wrote:But lately I've felt hesitant to post anything in here that could identify me IRL.
    I realise that anyone who has me on facebook, or is a friend of a friend on facebook could track me down easily.
    Just paranoia maybe.

It's not just you.
    Psalter
    Psalter
    River-God
    River-God

Post  Psalter Wed Jun 09, 2010 11:08 am

Why, because of people on "that other site" being cock-gobbling fucktarded cowards?

Yeah, I get that.
    ydekm
    Nymph
    Nymph

Post  ydekm Wed Jun 09, 2010 11:11 am

Lots of people are cock-gobbling fucktarded cowards. But yeah combination of things.
    I like the fact this site is open, but makes me think twice about posting about my job etc.
    Psalter
    Psalter
    River-God
    River-God

Post  Psalter Wed Jun 09, 2010 11:15 am

I used to post my address online so if anyone had a problem with me, we could sort it out Kanohi ki te kanohi (face to face)... When no-one took me up on this offer, I started to realise that people like the ones common on the SC forum like to strike form anonymity like the spineless fucking jellyfish they are.

But hey, I beat them with words, I could likely beat most of them with my fists, I guess the only way they can beat me is with sideline character assassination (or a troop of ninja bears with machine guns).
    ydekm
    Nymph
    Nymph

Post  ydekm Wed Jun 09, 2010 11:18 am

Psalter wrote:I used to post my address online so if anyone had a problem with me, we could sort it out Kanohi ki te kanohi (face to face)... When no-one took me up on this offer, I started to realise that people like the ones common on the SC forum like to strike form anonymity like the spineless fucking jellyfish they are.

But hey, I beat them with words, I could likely beat most of them with my fists, I guess the only way they can beat me is with sideline character assassination (or a troop of ninja bears with machine guns).

Yeah I remember you posting your address on more than one occasion.
    I guess having had someone SC related contact my work before is making me paranoid.
    83T'na
    83T'na
    Nymph
    Nymph

Post  83T'na Wed Jun 09, 2010 11:22 am

Psalter wrote:I used to post my address online so if anyone had a problem with me, we could sort it out Kanohi ki te kanohi (face to face)... When no-one took me up on this offer, I started to realise that people like the ones common on the SC forum like to strike form anonymity like the spineless fucking jellyfish they are.

I have to confess I looked up your name in the white pages. But then you moved so now I don't know where you are. scratch
    izzi
    izzi
    Nymph
    Nymph

Post  izzi Wed Jun 09, 2010 11:29 am

I don't exactly worry about it. I think that where I live makes me very identifiable but where I live also makes me very secure. My job is such that no one could adversely affect it.

It was quite a moment when I 'crossed over' between forums , a game and facebook allowing people who only knew me as izzi to know my real name. I'm sure most of you could name me if you so desired ( that include you, lurkers)but meh, why would you bother.

Last edited by izzi on Wed Jun 09, 2010 12:39 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : It was quite a moment but not traumatic enough to be a quit moment.)
    Psalter
    Psalter
    River-God
    River-God

Post  Psalter Wed Jun 09, 2010 11:32 am

There was one guy, I still have all the emails from him.

He said that he was going to find out where I lived at "cut me up". So I gave him my home address.

He never showed, but I was fucken shit scared for a couple of weeks. He was saying shit about creeping up on me with my back turned and burying a knife in me and shit.

Anyway, I was thinking about this yesterday; we men are just as stupid as we have always been. In the west, someone would accuse you of being scared, and because you were scared you would fight to the death to not appear scared. This has been true for all eternity... that was really the same shit.

It is what makes teens (myself included) car-surf with a drunk-driver or any number of stupid things. Fuck, we used to play "hillbilly roulette" all the time when we were younger... you chuck live ammo in the fire and then see who moves away first. It always ended up being a tie between Bevan and I.

Massive tangent, but it is just interesting to think what I was once willing to do in order to prove a lie... namely, that I wasn't scared.

You never feel more alive than after a game of hillbilly roulette though.
    ydekm
    Nymph
    Nymph

Post  ydekm Wed Jun 09, 2010 11:35 am

Psalter wrote:There was one guy, I still have all the emails from him.

He said that he was going to find out where I lived at "cut me up". So I gave him my home address.

He never showed, but I was fucken shit scared for a couple of weeks. He was saying shit about creeping up on me with my back turned and burying a knife in me and shit.

Anyway, I was thinking about this yesterday; we men are just as stupid as we have always been. In the west, someone would accuse you of being scared, and because you were scared you would fight to the death to not appear scared. This has been true for all eternity... that was really the same shit.

It is what makes teens (myself included) car-surf with a drunk-driver or any number of stupid things. Fuck, we used to play "hillbilly roulette" all the time when we were younger... you chuck live ammo in the fire and then see who moves away first. It always ended up being a tie between Bevan and I.

Massive tangent, but it is just interesting to think what I was once willing to do in order to prove a lie... namely, that I wasn't scared.

You never feel more alive than after a game of hillbilly roulette though.

RDR? Smile
    Psalter
    Psalter
    River-God
    River-God

Post  Psalter Wed Jun 09, 2010 11:37 am

ydekm wrote:

RDR? Smile

Yep... games stimulate thought.
    ____
    ____
    Nymph
    Nymph

Post  ____ Wed Jun 09, 2010 11:48 am

My facebook settings are locked down as tight as they can be, anyone who isn't a friend can't search me, I'm pretty sure, googling my name comes up with the "[My name] Sucks" Facebook group, which I ought to do something about, but there's not a hell of a lot there when googling my name. Stuff I should get around to removing though, either way.
    Sassydot
    Sassydot
    Nymph
    Nymph

Post  Sassydot Wed Jun 09, 2010 11:53 am

I never used to have a problem with being quite open about who I was online, but

I was quite a prominent member on another forum until early this year.
    The rules of the forum meant that I had to have my job details in my profile, for transparency in case of any conflict of interest being accused.
    So everyone knew who I was, and where to find me.
    Not a problem until someone, and I've never figured out who, faked some posts from me calling someone out as a design copier, passed them on to the person in question (who wasn't and has never been a member of that forum), who then came into my work, and started having a go at us... When that got her nowhere she got someone to call me from a law firm.
    I was fucking beside myself, I had no idea why anyone was doing this or what I was supposed to do about it... All I had was assurance from the admins of the forum that those posts were never written as we couldn't delete posts and they could see none from that date were edited.
    Until some sleuthing (public facebook profiles ftw) led me to the knowledge that this "lawyer" was in fact just a glorified secretary at the firm, and on top of that this girl's MOTHER.

So I took some good advice, and went straight to the partners of the firm with all this.
    Got a verbal and written apology from them, and assurances that it had been dealt with internally.
    Lodged everything with the Police, just in case. If it happens again apparently it can be treated as harassment.
    Haven't heard from that girl, or her mother, since.
    If she wants to continue with her little sideline business, we are the only place she can get her materials from unless she wants to buy it by the bolt from overseas, so it will be interesting to see what she does.
    I should add that I had the full support of my employers throughout the whole thing.

Because of the information on my profile, I was an easy target, unfortunately. I think a lot of it comes down to that. Also apparently this girl had applied for a job here but was turned down a while beforehand.
    I left that forum, partly because of that and partly because the people there were starting to fuck me off with their neurotic-housewife-ness.

I'm a lot less open now. I tightened up my facebook profile, and I no longer have anything about my job in my information anywhere. I don't anticipate ever hearing from those women again, but who knows what might happen in the future.
    I could tighten things up further again, not using the same username everywhere would help, but things are OK for now, as they are...
    Sassydot
    Sassydot
    Nymph
    Nymph

Post  Sassydot Wed Jun 09, 2010 11:55 am

____ wrote:My facebook settings are locked down as tight as they can be, anyone who isn't a friend can't search me, I'm pretty sure, googling my name comes up with the "[My name] Sucks" Facebook group, which I ought to do something about, but there's not a hell of a lot there when googling my name. Stuff I should get around to removing though, either way.

Yeah when I lost half of my facebook friends I had to wait for Kate to add me back before I could search for you and add you - so its friends of friends, unless you've tightened it more recently.
    izzi
    izzi
    Nymph
    Nymph

Post  izzi Wed Jun 09, 2010 12:03 pm

It's amazing how, over time. tiny pieces of information can add up and identify you.

Sassydot just dropped a big bit back there.

Like I say, I'm such a nobody I doubt anyone would bother. Then again, the ones that do bother are the ones you gotta look out for.
    dabiarch
    dabiarch
    Nymph
    Nymph

Post  dabiarch Wed Jun 09, 2010 12:47 pm

you jut have to look at what farmass did to Waireka when she was in Wainuiomata.that sort of shyte is scary....and what Sandy lardass did to me.....reporting me to WINZ.....
    Sassydot
    Sassydot
    Nymph
    Nymph

Post  Sassydot Wed Jun 09, 2010 12:52 pm

izzi wrote:It's amazing how, over time. tiny pieces of information can add up and identify you.

Like I say, I'm such a nobody I doubt anyone would bother. Then again, the ones that do bother are the ones you gotta look out for.

woops sorry

Let me know if you want anything more edited out of those posts. I did already take Ts name out once you'd seen it.

Embarassed
    Lynz
    Lynz
    Nymph
    Nymph

Post  Lynz Wed Jun 09, 2010 12:57 pm

It has never worried me. I live in a small town, which I've often named, and am reasonably well known. Plus, my nick is a derivative of my name - and also my real nickname.

I think honesty doesn't hurt my credibility - if any haha.

But I can see where those who might be subject to stalkers or such like, need to be more circumspect.

There are some of the SC's prolific posters, who in my opinion, are cowardly fuckwits. They use the anonymity of Forums to engage in pushing their particular hobby horses. And that's fine, because they also unwittingly demonstrating their vacuity and dishonesty.
    ydekm
    Nymph
    Nymph

Post  ydekm Wed Jun 09, 2010 1:00 pm

dabiarch wrote:you jut have to look at what farmass did to Waireka when she was in Wainuiomata.that sort of shyte is scary....and what Sandy lardass did to me.....reporting me to WINZ.....

I had an SC member call my work in 2007. It was pretty yuck but then sorta funny.
    woody67
    woody67
    Nymph
    Nymph

Post  woody67 Wed Jun 09, 2010 1:01 pm

I have let a few things out I s'pose and as my photo is on my sc profile someone may recognise me from ch ch I have never met any one in rl from either of these forums and they are the only two I belong to....Oh and I have a FB account but don't really go on there much unless it is to check out photos of friends etc.
    I spose if the shit ever were to hit the fan I would deal with it then.....Have friend on that nz dating site and I do worry that she may get herself in trouble meeting up with guys from there.....all a bit seedy IMO
    woody67
    woody67
    Nymph
    Nymph

Post  woody67 Wed Jun 09, 2010 1:03 pm

how bizzare that someone would call you at work! Sounds like it was out of the blue for you as well....that would spin me out majorly.
    ydekm
    Nymph
    Nymph

Post  ydekm Wed Jun 09, 2010 1:05 pm

Yeah it was fucking bizzare.
    izzi
    izzi
    Nymph
    Nymph

Post  izzi Wed Jun 09, 2010 1:21 pm

Sassydot wrote:
    izzi wrote:It's amazing how, over time. tiny pieces of information can add up and identify you.

woops sorry

Let me know if you want anything more edited out of those posts. I did already take Ts name out once you'd seen it.

Embarassed

Sorry, no it wasn't that. Was refering to your post about the work place incident you had. Although you don't name where you work there is enough info there to narrow it down considerably.
    izzi
    izzi
    Nymph
    Nymph

Post  izzi Wed Jun 09, 2010 1:33 pm

* disclaimer....I am not a psycho stalker*

Since I was bored, and it's raining I decided to do some stalking.

Thanks to Psalter initially I can link to _______, Summoner( I think, can never keep up with Sc name changers),ydekm and a couple more. I think with enough digging I would at least be able to find you all in the real world.

You can be as circumspect as you like but if your friends are more open it's not hard to put 2 and 2 together.

PS _______ you have left a big mess all over the internet and should clean it up!
    Waireka
    Waireka
    River-God
    River-God

Post  Waireka Wed Jun 09, 2010 1:37 pm

izzi wrote:* disclaimer....I am not a psycho stalker*

I'm your psycho stalker.

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu May 02, 2024 9:58 am