The Underworld Of Lightly (& Logically) Moderated Discussion & Debate


    Is it just me...

    Share

    ydekm
    Nymph
    Nymph

    Re: Is it just me...

    Post  ydekm on Wed Jun 09, 2010 6:31 pm

    Tara wrote:
    ydekm wrote:But lately I've felt hesitant to post anything in here that could identify me IRL.
    I realise that anyone who has me on facebook, or is a friend of a friend on facebook could track me down easily.
    Just paranoia maybe.

    I've always been reasonably careful about what I put somewhere like SC because it's so public, though some people do know more personal details I suppose, just not really via SC.

    At first I just didn't really care to share too much because I just didn't feel the need, but later on discovered that there are a couple of SC members who do have a connection to my real life and as they were people I didn't want anything to do with (in real life or through the computer screen), I was kinda more aware of what I did and didn't post.

    I seem to end up with jobs at controversial workplaces...and I dont want to be seen as the spokesperson for an agency or company... and as my life pretty much revolves around work, it leaves me little to talk about.
    avatar
    frup
    Nymph
    Nymph

    Re: Is it just me...

    Post  frup on Wed Jun 09, 2010 6:33 pm

    ydekm wrote:
    frup wrote:
    ydekm wrote:
    izzi wrote:Did I ever tell you my first language is magenta. I don't always speak magenta but I was in this case.

    I didnt think you were being rude or anything. I've told frup this before... I might sound short because TARTARUS SUCKS ON MY PHONE.

    Seriously, piece of shit.


    Is this just the typing or is it the display?

    Typing is ok Razz - when my predictive text doesn't include spelling errors (picks up all the words ever texted to and from my phone and adds to dictionary so end up with the odd error).

    It is hideous to view - lots and lots of scrolling left and right.

    It certainly would be an interesting challenge to develop a forum that is perfect for mobile phones, though it would quickly become twitteresque do doubt. I wonder if anyone has created one specifically for that.

    Both the iphone and the linux android phones (of which 5o1 owns one and I have ordered after getting jealous of his Razz) have 320 × 480px screen resolution, which isn't a lot to work with. The new iphone4's that will be released in the US near the end of july will have 960 x 640px resolution so the problems will be largely removed. I despise apple products however.
    avatar
    ____
    Nymph
    Nymph

    Re: Is it just me...

    Post  ____ on Wed Jun 09, 2010 6:34 pm

    ydekm wrote:
    Tara wrote:
    ydekm wrote:But lately I've felt hesitant to post anything in here that could identify me IRL.
    I realise that anyone who has me on facebook, or is a friend of a friend on facebook could track me down easily.
    Just paranoia maybe.

    I've always been reasonably careful about what I put somewhere like SC because it's so public, though some people do know more personal details I suppose, just not really via SC.

    At first I just didn't really care to share too much because I just didn't feel the need, but later on discovered that there are a couple of SC members who do have a connection to my real life and as they were people I didn't want anything to do with (in real life or through the computer screen), I was kinda more aware of what I did and didn't post.

    I seem to end up with jobs at controversial workplaces...and I dont want to be seen as the spokesperson for an agency or company... and as my life pretty much revolves around work, it leaves me little to talk about.

    I got lectured for like half an hour once about how much ACC sucks when I told the haircut person where I worked.

    I was like "Sounds like your partner was in breach of his responsibilities to ACC, they have those you know, that's why it gets declined".
    avatar
    frup
    Nymph
    Nymph

    Re: Is it just me...

    Post  frup on Wed Jun 09, 2010 6:35 pm

    ydekm wrote:
    frup wrote:
    ydekm wrote:That frup is/pretends to be arogant. ie thinks highly of himself.

    I may be arrogant, like to be always right and think myself completely superior to most other beings (I am exaggerating somewhat Razz), but I don't mind when I'm wrong or when people take the piss out of me. I'm perfectly happy for people to treat me the way I treat them Smile

    The main thing is I would rather talk about things/topics/issues than people (though may occasionally engage when I'm in the mood). I'd rather talk about what I've been doing than feeling and I really don't care if people think things I do or think are strange.

    I'm a self-professed nerd and perfectly happy. To make a point, some of my highest enjoyment levels are when I discover I have over 50 tabs open on wikipedia or there is some new development in open source software Razz

    The point is that if someone offended me I wouldn't take it personally, I would not hold a grudge and I wouldn't hunt them down and speak to their employer or harass them. I think that kind of behaviour is shocking and I wouldn't stoop to that level.

    I just like to blabber and give my 2cents and pretend the world cares what I have to say. I'm in my own little world and everyone else is just fun accessories. I rarely pay attention who I'm even talking to.


    I hope that was just a natural rambling and not because you thought you had to justify something.

    blabber blabber blabber.

    ydekm
    Nymph
    Nymph

    Re: Is it just me...

    Post  ydekm on Wed Jun 09, 2010 6:38 pm

    frup wrote:
    ydekm wrote:
    frup wrote:
    ydekm wrote:
    izzi wrote:Did I ever tell you my first language is magenta. I don't always speak magenta but I was in this case.

    I didnt think you were being rude or anything. I've told frup this before... I might sound short because TARTARUS SUCKS ON MY PHONE.

    Seriously, piece of shit.


    Is this just the typing or is it the display?

    Typing is ok Razz - when my predictive text doesn't include spelling errors (picks up all the words ever texted to and from my phone and adds to dictionary so end up with the odd error).

    It is hideous to view - lots and lots of scrolling left and right.

    It certainly would be an interesting challenge to develop a forum that is perfect for mobile phones, though it would quickly become twitteresque do doubt. I wonder if anyone has created one specifically for that.

    Both the iphone and the linux android phones (of which 5o1 owns one and I have ordered after getting jealous of his Razz) have 320 × 480px screen resolution, which isn't a lot to work with. The new iphone4's that will be released in the US near the end of july will have 960 x 640px resolution so the problems will be largely removed. I despise apple products however.

    While I think the iphone is sexy as fuck, I am going to get the LG android on Telecom... I think. Link to the phone you've ordered??

    ydekm
    Nymph
    Nymph

    Re: Is it just me...

    Post  ydekm on Wed Jun 09, 2010 6:40 pm

    ____ wrote:
    ydekm wrote:
    Tara wrote:
    ydekm wrote:But lately I've felt hesitant to post anything in here that could identify me IRL.
    I realise that anyone who has me on facebook, or is a friend of a friend on facebook could track me down easily.
    Just paranoia maybe.

    I've always been reasonably careful about what I put somewhere like SC because it's so public, though some people do know more personal details I suppose, just not really via SC.

    At first I just didn't really care to share too much because I just didn't feel the need, but later on discovered that there are a couple of SC members who do have a connection to my real life and as they were people I didn't want anything to do with (in real life or through the computer screen), I was kinda more aware of what I did and didn't post.

    I seem to end up with jobs at controversial workplaces...and I dont want to be seen as the spokesperson for an agency or company... and as my life pretty much revolves around work, it leaves me little to talk about.

    I got lectured for like half an hour once about how much ACC sucks when I told the haircut person where I worked.

    I was like "Sounds like your partner was in breach of his responsibilities to ACC, they have those you know, that's why it gets declined".

    Ha! I used to tell people I worked for ACC or IRD when I was on the plane to Wellington for my old role.... I got less shit that way.

    Tara
    Mortal
    Mortal

    Re: Is it just me...

    Post  Tara on Wed Jun 09, 2010 6:50 pm

    ydekm wrote:
    Tara wrote:
    ydekm wrote:But lately I've felt hesitant to post anything in here that could identify me IRL.
    I realise that anyone who has me on facebook, or is a friend of a friend on facebook could track me down easily.
    Just paranoia maybe.

    I've always been reasonably careful about what I put somewhere like SC because it's so public, though some people do know more personal details I suppose, just not really via SC.

    At first I just didn't really care to share too much because I just didn't feel the need, but later on discovered that there are a couple of SC members who do have a connection to my real life and as they were people I didn't want anything to do with (in real life or through the computer screen), I was kinda more aware of what I did and didn't post.

    I seem to end up with jobs at controversial workplaces...and I dont want to be seen as the spokesperson for an agency or company... and as my life pretty much revolves around work, it leaves me little to talk about.

    Yeah, more difficult. None of my work places have ever been even slightly controversial, or even remotely interesting really, so not an issue even if I wanted to talk about it. I was kind of surprised when it happened to Wai, I find it fairly bizarre that people involve themselves in another persons life like that when they only know them via the internet, so SC has opened my eyes somewhat. Razz

    ydekm
    Nymph
    Nymph

    Re: Is it just me...

    Post  ydekm on Wed Jun 09, 2010 6:50 pm

    'tis fucked.
    avatar
    izzi
    Nymph
    Nymph

    Re: Is it just me...

    Post  izzi on Wed Jun 09, 2010 6:55 pm

    [/quote]I seem to end up with jobs at controversial workplaces...and I dont want to be seen as the spokesperson for an agency or company... and as my life pretty much revolves around work, it leaves me little to talk about.[/quote]

    You are more interesting talking about nothing than most people talking about something.

    ydekm
    Nymph
    Nymph

    Re: Is it just me...

    Post  ydekm on Wed Jun 09, 2010 6:58 pm

    izzi wrote:
    I seem to end up with jobs at controversial workplaces...and I dont want to be seen as the spokesperson for an agency or company... and as my life pretty much revolves around work, it leaves me little to talk about.

    You are more interesting talking about nothing than most people talking about something.

    Haha... it's an illusion. I just keep talking and talking and the quantity makes up for the quality.
    avatar
    frup
    Nymph
    Nymph

    Re: Is it just me...

    Post  frup on Wed Jun 09, 2010 6:59 pm

    ydekm wrote:
    frup wrote:
    ydekm wrote:
    frup wrote:
    ydekm wrote:
    izzi wrote:Did I ever tell you my first language is magenta. I don't always speak magenta but I was in this case.

    I didnt think you were being rude or anything. I've told frup this before... I might sound short because TARTARUS SUCKS ON MY PHONE.

    Seriously, piece of shit.


    Is this just the typing or is it the display?

    Typing is ok Razz - when my predictive text doesn't include spelling errors (picks up all the words ever texted to and from my phone and adds to dictionary so end up with the odd error).

    It is hideous to view - lots and lots of scrolling left and right.

    It certainly would be an interesting challenge to develop a forum that is perfect for mobile phones, though it would quickly become twitteresque do doubt. I wonder if anyone has created one specifically for that.

    Both the iphone and the linux android phones (of which 5o1 owns one and I have ordered after getting jealous of his Razz) have 320 × 480px screen resolution, which isn't a lot to work with. The new iphone4's that will be released in the US near the end of july will have 960 x 640px resolution so the problems will be largely removed. I despise apple products however.

    While I think the iphone is sexy as fuck, I am going to get the LG android on Telecom... I think. Link to the phone you've ordered??

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HTC_Hero

    I have been wanting a Linux phone for about 4 years. I used to want one running maemo ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maemo ) Maemo was one of the more promising environments for the cellphone about 4 years ago and was led by Nokia, but it didn't really turn in to what I want. It has merged with intels moblin project in to Meego ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MeeGo , http://meego.com/devices/netbook/netbook-screenshots) which is nice, but that is because Moblin was really nice. I don't see it as much of a mobile interface but more something for tablets and netbooks.

    Android is awesome. I've liked it for a long time and the only thing I don't like about it is it isn't pure Gnu/Linux, it is the Linux kernel with a custom java like environment built on top of it but from trying 5o1's that I discovered he had bought today I decided I couldn't resist, despite having a perfectly good symbian phone and having decided I should get a new phone as I had lost about 5 in the last 3 years (3 of them last year).

    I guess I'll be making use of that 2degrees sim card I have now if I have two phones, but as someone on my facebook once was complaining about someone else saying to them, only prostitutes carry around two phones Sad
    avatar
    ____
    Nymph
    Nymph

    Re: Is it just me...

    Post  ____ on Wed Jun 09, 2010 6:59 pm

    ydekm wrote:
    izzi wrote:
    I seem to end up with jobs at controversial workplaces...and I dont want to be seen as the spokesperson for an agency or company... and as my life pretty much revolves around work, it leaves me little to talk about.

    You are more interesting talking about nothing than most people talking about something.

    Haha... it's an illusion. I just keep talking and talking and the quantity makes up for the quality.


    I remember that time I advised somebody not to ask you about your day. They did, and I spent the next 45 minutes in a fugue state.

    ydekm
    Nymph
    Nymph

    Re: Is it just me...

    Post  ydekm on Wed Jun 09, 2010 7:02 pm

    ____ wrote:
    ydekm wrote:
    izzi wrote:
    I seem to end up with jobs at controversial workplaces...and I dont want to be seen as the spokesperson for an agency or company... and as my life pretty much revolves around work, it leaves me little to talk about.

    You are more interesting talking about nothing than most people talking about something.

    Haha... it's an illusion. I just keep talking and talking and the quantity makes up for the quality.


    I remember that time I advised somebody not to ask you about your day. They did, and I spent the next 45 minutes in a fugue state.

    You just wanted to keep me all to yourself so we could have more heart-to-hearts.

    ydekm
    Nymph
    Nymph

    Re: Is it just me...

    Post  ydekm on Wed Jun 09, 2010 7:04 pm

    frup wrote:
    ydekm wrote:
    frup wrote:
    ydekm wrote:
    frup wrote:
    ydekm wrote:
    izzi wrote:Did I ever tell you my first language is magenta. I don't always speak magenta but I was in this case.

    I didnt think you were being rude or anything. I've told frup this before... I might sound short because TARTARUS SUCKS ON MY PHONE.

    Seriously, piece of shit.


    Is this just the typing or is it the display?

    Typing is ok Razz - when my predictive text doesn't include spelling errors (picks up all the words ever texted to and from my phone and adds to dictionary so end up with the odd error).

    It is hideous to view - lots and lots of scrolling left and right.

    It certainly would be an interesting challenge to develop a forum that is perfect for mobile phones, though it would quickly become twitteresque do doubt. I wonder if anyone has created one specifically for that.

    Both the iphone and the linux android phones (of which 5o1 owns one and I have ordered after getting jealous of his Razz) have 320 × 480px screen resolution, which isn't a lot to work with. The new iphone4's that will be released in the US near the end of july will have 960 x 640px resolution so the problems will be largely removed. I despise apple products however.

    While I think the iphone is sexy as fuck, I am going to get the LG android on Telecom... I think. Link to the phone you've ordered??

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HTC_Hero

    I have been wanting a Linux phone for about 4 years. I used to want one running maemo ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maemo ) Maemo was one of the more promising environments for the cellphone about 4 years ago and was led by Nokia, but it didn't really turn in to what I want. It has merged with intels moblin project in to Meego ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MeeGo , http://meego.com/devices/netbook/netbook-screenshots) which is nice, but that is because Moblin was really nice. I don't see it as much of a mobile interface but more something for tablets and netbooks.

    Android is awesome. I've liked it for a long time and the only thing I don't like about it is it isn't pure Gnu/Linux, it is the Linux kernel with a custom java like environment built on top of it but from trying 5o1's that I discovered he had bought today I decided I couldn't resist, despite having a perfectly good symbian phone and having decided I should get a new phone as I had lost about 5 in the last 3 years (3 of them last year).

    I guess I'll be making use of that 2degrees sim card I have now if I have two phones, but as someone on my facebook once was complaining about someone else saying to them, only prostitutes carry around two phones Sad

    http://store.telecom.co.nz/mobile/pay-monthly/htc-touch-2
    So it is the new version of this?
    avatar
    frup
    Nymph
    Nymph

    Re: Is it just me...

    Post  frup on Wed Jun 09, 2010 7:14 pm

    It's running windows mobile which is horrible, better staying with the iphone.

    The HTC touch would be a hardware downgrade from the model I am getting.

    This is a one up model http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HTC_Desire
    so is this http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HTC_Legend (Hero 2)
    avatar
    Donkeycheese
    Nymph
    Nymph

    Re: Is it just me...

    Post  Donkeycheese on Wed Jun 09, 2010 7:54 pm

    ydekm wrote:
    Of course... it's practically in my genetic makeup to be contrary. I dont think I ever argue passionately about something I believe in.... I just argue with people to see them get pissed off.

    I have never found you like this, which means 1 of 2 things
    1) you are scared that you will hurt my feelings if you argue with me, and think I am a pussy
    2) you are scared of me, and are therefore a pussy

    Come on ! Which is it?
    avatar
    Summoner
    Nymph
    Nymph

    Re: Is it just me...

    Post  Summoner on Wed Jun 09, 2010 11:08 pm

    ydekm wrote:Lots of people are cock-gobbling fucktarded cowards. But yeah combination of things.
    I like the fact this site is open, but makes me think twice about posting about my job etc.


    Especially with farmass lurking.We all know what she is like for emailing bosses and such

    ydekm
    Nymph
    Nymph

    Re: Is it just me...

    Post  ydekm on Thu Jun 10, 2010 11:13 am

    frup wrote:It's running windows mobile which is horrible, better staying with the iphone.

    The HTC touch would be a hardware downgrade from the model I am getting.

    This is a one up model http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HTC_Desire
    so is this http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HTC_Legend (Hero 2)

    Yeah I know it's on windows mobile (and thus inferior)- I was asking if your version was the next step up. Razz
    avatar
    canterella
    Nymph
    Nymph

    Re: Is it just me...

    Post  canterella on Thu Jun 10, 2010 11:56 am

    I had a mighty scare when I found out, by Googling their names, that opne of my daughters (Miss 11) posted her personal details, full name, address and all, on her Gmail account for all to see, despite being told a million times not to do it. I had to contact Google to delete the entry as well, and I must say that did it promptly after I mentioned that she's a minor.
    She had a mighty lecture from me and dad, and got punished by not being able to go on the computer for a month and had her gmail account deleted.
    I'm not actually scared of someone trying to get to me through the net, but I'm scared for my daughters. They are just starting to venture into the net thing and this was a good lesson for me and hubby that we must keep a very tight control over what they do on the net.
    avatar
    Waireka
    River-God
    River-God

    Re: Is it just me...

    Post  Waireka on Thu Jun 10, 2010 12:52 pm

    canterella wrote:I had a mighty scare when I found out, by Googling their names, that opne of my daughters (Miss 11) posted her personal details, full name, address and all, on her Gmail account for all to see, despite being told a million times not to do it. I had to contact Google to delete the entry as well, and I must say that did it promptly after I mentioned that she's a minor.
    She had a mighty lecture from me and dad, and got punished by not being able to go on the computer for a month and had her gmail account deleted.
    I'm not actually scared of someone trying to get to me through the net, but I'm scared for my daughters. They are just starting to venture into the net thing and this was a good lesson for me and hubby that we must keep a very tight control over what they do on the net.

    Very scary.

    Found 7 yo nieces full name and details on a Justin Bieber site, asking him to come visit them for dinner... Was easy to get them to remove it, but scary that she had that kind of unsupervised access.

    Sponsored content

    Re: Is it just me...

    Post  Sponsored content


      Current date/time is Thu Sep 21, 2017 5:13 pm