Tartarus

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Underworld Of Lightly (& Logically) Moderated Discussion & Debate

+8
Donkeycheese
____
Bardan
Diaz
master5o1
Anjewel
canterella
Waireka
12 posters

Is Homosexuality Family Friendly?

Poll

Would it be okay for a character on a childrens cartoon to have a gay couple as parents?

[ 15 ]
    Is Homosexuality Family Friendly? - Page 2 Bar_left83%Is Homosexuality Family Friendly? - Page 2 Bar_right [83%] 
    [ 3 ]
    Is Homosexuality Family Friendly? - Page 2 Bar_left17%Is Homosexuality Family Friendly? - Page 2 Bar_right [17%] 

Total Votes: 18
    Bardan
    Bardan
    Giant
    Giant

Is Homosexuality Family Friendly? - Page 2 Empty Re: Is Homosexuality Family Friendly?

Post  Bardan Tue Mar 23, 2010 10:50 am

Namely, that all healthy, safe and legal family sub-cultures should be represented in order that a child not be devalued by lack of representation.

If that's what you wanted to contribute from the start then, now you have said it, we are able to agree.

I'm sympathetic and I appreciate your being so open about that. Shows healing.

First, you are patronising fuck. Said, and done.

Not a bit of it. If I felt as secure as you I'd be willing to be more personal too in return. The sort of vulnerability you've shown isn't the sort of thing I can stomp on at the same time as having young children in my care.

The rest is knee-jerk sensitivity to a non-issue. "Two and a half men" is just another chauvinist sit-com in a long line of the same. It makes no judgements, it makes penis jokes. As does family guy.

I don't want to blow my own trumpet here but I have taken art theory and cultural studies at a tertiary level. So if you want to undermine that with serious discussion I'm here for you man.

I believe that art, including television, is a transmitter of values. There is no such thing as 'just another penis joke sit-com.'
    superarmy
    superarmy
    Nymph
    Nymph

Is Homosexuality Family Friendly? - Page 2 Empty Re: Is Homosexuality Family Friendly?

Post  superarmy Tue Mar 23, 2010 11:14 am

I believe that art, including television, is a transmitter of values. There is no such thing as 'just another penis joke sit-com.'

Transmitter of values? Please elaborate, just because I think Jack Bauer is awesome on 24, doesn't mean I think torture is justified. Just because I love Dexter doesn't mean I believe in capital punishment. I enjoy art for arts sakes, drama, atmosphere, character development, this is why I watch, I do, and many others would agree, watch fictional TV to reaffirm my values.
    master5o1
    master5o1
    Cyclopes
    Cyclopes

Post  master5o1 Tue Mar 23, 2010 11:16 am

Lynz wrote:I reckon the best cartoon was Captain Pugwash. What with Seaman Staines and all.

Couldn't care less about pooftery, male or female. So long as it's not made compulsory.

What consenting adults get up to, in private, is no ones business but their own. But I do note, the child prating the Libertarian line, is not so liberal as the philosophy he espouses. Why am I not surprised. Laughing

I heard about that. Sounds awesome.
    Lynz
    Lynz
    Nymph
    Nymph

Post  Lynz Tue Mar 23, 2010 12:40 pm

master5o1 wrote:
    Lynz wrote:I reckon the best cartoon was Captain Pugwash. What with Seaman Staines and all.

Couldn't care less about pooftery, male or female. So long as it's not made compulsory.

What consenting adults get up to, in private, is no ones business but their own. But I do note, the child prating the Libertarian line, is not so liberal as the philosophy he espouses. Why am I not surprised. Laughing

I heard about that. Sounds awesome.

Well actually, the sexual innuendo's surrounding the purported names of some of the characters is an urban myth. But so much more interesting than the real ones. After all, it amazes the modern youth, that in the 60's we had such riveting television. At least we had it, nationwide. Course it was run by the Government. And free of Ads.
    Bardan
    Bardan
    Giant
    Giant

Post  Bardan Tue Mar 23, 2010 2:28 pm

Transmitter of values? Please elaborate, just because I think Jack Bauer is awesome on 24, doesn't mean I think torture is justified. Just because I love Dexter doesn't mean I believe in capital punishment.

Without hitting you with the philosophy student stick, let's just say I'm appealing to the unchallanged principle of Psalter. That art affirms values and allows people to experience "representation."

I enjoy art for arts sakes, drama, atmosphere, character development, this is why I watch, I do, and many others would agree, watch fictional TV to reaffirm my values.

I don't think you do. And I apologise for doing this because I hate it when people do this to me.

But: http://aynrandlexicon.com/lexicon/art.html

I think your question involves more thinking on my part than people are prepaired to read in this thread. So I'll just assert that 'words never fail' and 'art never fails to leave an impression' and refer you to Ayn Rand. It's not that I'm unwilling to debate this but rather that I don't think anybody else really wants to go that deep.
    superarmy
    superarmy
    Nymph
    Nymph

Post  superarmy Tue Mar 23, 2010 8:49 pm

Bardan wrote:Transmitter of values? Please elaborate, just because I think Jack Bauer is awesome on 24, doesn't mean I think torture is justified. Just because I love Dexter doesn't mean I believe in capital punishment.

Without hitting you with the philosophy student stick, let's just say I'm appealing to the unchallanged principle of Psalter. That art affirms values and allows people to experience "representation."

I enjoy art for arts sakes, drama, atmosphere, character development, this is why I watch, I do, and many others would agree, watch fictional TV to reaffirm my values.

I don't think you do. And I apologise for doing this because I hate it when people do this to me.

But: http://aynrandlexicon.com/lexicon/art.html

I think your question involves more thinking on my part than people are prepaired to read in this thread. So I'll just assert that 'words never fail' and 'art never fails to leave an impression' and refer you to Ayn Rand. It's not that I'm unwilling to debate this but rather that I don't think anybody else really wants to go that deep.

>ayn fucking rand

Ahh yes the mother of the conservative movement, what a brilliant subjective example.

I watch Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann to watch robots 1/50th the size of the universe fuck shit up. I watch Neon Genesis Evangelion to engage in a Freudian style psychoanalysis about characters of varying tragic pasts. I watch Band of Brothers to appretiate the great sacrifices aand horrors of war. I play Narcissu for a unique look into euthanasia. I play Saya no Uta for an amazing story out of the goriest, most disturbing and haunting premise and actions I have ever seen. I would like to use Saya no Uta's extremity to case and point. If you are not okay with torture, mutilation, rape and cannablism (among others), YOU WILL NOT BE PHYSICALLY ABLE TO COMPLETE THIS. If you can stand them, you will be left with a profoundly unique horror with an amazing story, excellent characterization, and 3 brilliant yet independent endings. I experienced zero-dream fufilment from this game, mental torture and shit scaredness more accurately represents my feeling through this game. But what I got from it was an utterly unique experience, that I would never ever want to fufil in real life, yet feel as if viewing this perspective was at least worth while. I appretiate it for an unique perspective of a rare artform.

Current date/time is Thu May 02, 2024 10:03 pm