Tartarus

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Underworld Of Lightly (& Logically) Moderated Discussion & Debate

5 posters

Should Sharples (as MMA) be flying gang leaders to meetings?

Waireka
    Waireka
    River-God
    River-God

Should Sharples (as MMA) be flying gang leaders to meetings? Empty Should Sharples (as MMA) be flying gang leaders to meetings?

Post  Waireka Sun Oct 18, 2009 6:46 pm

Article...

The government stands accused of sending mixed messages in its war on P-producing criminals following revelations senior Mongrel Mob and Black Power members were flown to Auckland at taxpayers' expense for a secret hui with a minister.

At least one drug kingpin, with convictions for manufacturing methamphetamine in a multimillion-dollar drug operation, was among those present at the meeting at Te Puni Kokiri's Auckland office in March, which Maori Affairs Minister Pita Sharples opened by telling the 16 assembled gang heads there were "new rules here – respect", and asking about their gripes in getting assistance from government agencies.

Sharples also congratulated the gangsters on decreasing gang violence. "I need to thank you for that. I want to acknowledge that. Parliament sure hasn't. They say `I'm not talking to a gang member'," he told the hui.

"Why are we fighting whakapapa against whakapapa? There's so much enemy that is not brown."

More than $6200 was spent on the hui, called in response to concerns about gang and community violence, including $4980 on airfares and $820 in petrol vouchers for the gang leaders from around the country. Details of the secret meeting, at which Te Tai Tokerau MP Hone Harawira was also present, were released to the Sunday Star-Times in response to an Official Information Act request.

Should Sharples (as MMA) be flying gang leaders to meetings? 2975814

Denis O'Reilly, a Napier-based Black Power spokesman and anti-P campaigner who was one of the delegates present, said Sharples' meeting with the gang leaders was "completely consistent" with the government's avowed war on P.

"There's always been a public face and a private face in these things," he said. Sharples had an influence with the men, whom he addressed "as Maori leaders, not gang members".

"That's not to say Sharples had everyone nodding their heads in agreement. It was more like being called into the headmaster's study."

"They [gangs] are Maori. They are our children and our nephews, whether we like it or not. While we don't think gangs are a good lifestyle, it doesn't mean to say we turn our back on our own children."
    the distant one
    the distant one
    Nymph
    Nymph

Should Sharples (as MMA) be flying gang leaders to meetings? Empty Re: Should Sharples (as MMA) be flying gang leaders to meetings?

Post  the distant one Mon Oct 19, 2009 2:33 pm

a multi pronged attack on P is good in any instance.

Even if 2 labs are shut down because of this he has acheived something. Gamg members I have talked wouldnt touch the stuff if you paid them its only the ignorant ones that use P.
    Waireka
    Waireka
    River-God
    River-God

Should Sharples (as MMA) be flying gang leaders to meetings? Empty Re: Should Sharples (as MMA) be flying gang leaders to meetings?

Post  Waireka Mon Oct 19, 2009 2:42 pm

the distant one wrote:a multi pronged attack on P is good in any instance.

Even if 2 labs are shut down because of this he has acheived something. Gamg members I have talked wouldnt touch the stuff if you paid them its only the ignorant ones that use P.

DB and the very few agreeing with him in SC seem to be under the delusion that all gang members are programmed the same way, all clones of one another without an independent thought or action.
    the distant one
    the distant one
    Nymph
    Nymph

Post  the distant one Mon Oct 19, 2009 2:44 pm

Waireka wrote:
    the distant one wrote:a multi pronged attack on P is good in any instance.

DB and the very few agreeing with him in SC seem to be under the delusion that all gang members are programmed the same way, all clones of one another without an independent thought or action.

yeah I saw that. I think very few of them have had an ounce to do with gang members apart from what has been seen on the news
    Donkeycheese
    Donkeycheese
    Nymph
    Nymph

Post  Donkeycheese Tue Oct 20, 2009 4:01 pm

the angle that the govt has followed so far hasn't helped, so why not try an inclusive approach

that said, the gangs could remove P from the landscape whenever they wanted to. BUT, the profits are too high, and the expense isn't born by them.

Mostly I like that gangs are just as selfish as the "non-brown" enemy they want to fight!!
    metcalfj
    metcalfj
    Nymph
    Nymph

Post  metcalfj Fri Nov 06, 2009 3:09 pm

Dr Sharples has his flaws (as do we all), but I certainly believe that his heart is in the right place. Communication with any group (even gangs) is the most effective tool that we have in a society which places such high value on individual human rights.

The Government could rid this country of Gangs tomorrow (well, within a few weeks) if they were willing/able to violate the basic human rights which we now take for granted. But that would make them no better than the gangs. Sharples actions may be unpopular, but that is democracy for you.....
    Summoner
    Summoner
    Nymph
    Nymph

Post  Summoner Sat Nov 07, 2009 7:43 am

I don't like gang members and think they are all a bunch of life wasters who need to learn to be men and stand on their own two feet... but I do know they are not all the same and some are not as evil/vile as they are made out to be.We have a few MM's here in Gisborne who are trying to put a stop to the drug problems here.... and for that I applaud their attempts and cleaning up the community

And Pita's for trying another avenue

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sat Apr 27, 2024 8:39 am