Tartarus

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Underworld Of Lightly (& Logically) Moderated Discussion & Debate

3 posters

Gran Turismo 5 due this year

superarmy
    superarmy
    Nymph
    Nymph

Gran Turismo 5 due this year Empty Gran Turismo 5 due this year

Post  superarmy Mon Aug 24, 2009 10:28 pm

IGN

YUSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS
    Psalter
    Psalter
    River-God
    River-God

Gran Turismo 5 due this year Empty Re: Gran Turismo 5 due this year

Post  Psalter Mon Aug 24, 2009 10:46 pm

And a little boy waits.

I love GT... but I don't know if I will buy it... too many micro-transactions I bet.
    superarmy
    superarmy
    Nymph
    Nymph

Post  superarmy Mon Aug 24, 2009 10:48 pm

I doubt they will. They will want this as casual as possible, so they can take on the 360 over Christmas.
    Konata
    Mortal
    Mortal

Post  Konata Wed Aug 26, 2009 2:48 pm

superarmy wrote:so they can take on the 360 over Christmas.
    Laughing they can try but it will never happen.
    superarmy
    superarmy
    Nymph
    Nymph

Post  superarmy Wed Aug 26, 2009 2:50 pm

Konata wrote:
    superarmy wrote:so they can take on the 360 over Christmas.
    Laughing they can try but it will never happen.

In europe they should come of nicely, Japan too. US it will be very close.
    Konata
    Mortal
    Mortal

Post  Konata Wed Aug 26, 2009 7:51 pm

Well of course they will come out nicely in Japan. Anyone that thinks the 360 has a chance isn't worth talking to. Japanese has a strange adversion to the Xbox brand, despite it containing the most JRPG's.

The PS3 might beat out the 360 in Europe, that is true. GT5 will not be the cause of that. The Playstation brand is better supported in Europe than the xbox brand.

The PS3, despite having superior exclusives, and a very competitive price point, will not beat out the 360 in America. This generation in America is largely about online gaming. You game on the system your friends are so they can play you online. Most people have 360's. So they will keep being sold. Sony should gain some ground with all of their new updates and games, but they will definitely not surprass the 360 in America.
    superarmy
    superarmy
    Nymph
    Nymph

Post  superarmy Wed Aug 26, 2009 11:06 pm

Konata wrote:Well of course they will come out nicely in Japan. Anyone that thinks the 360 has a chance isn't worth talking to. Japanese has a strange adversion to the Xbox brand, despite it containing the most JRPG's.

The PS3 might beat out the 360 in Europe, that is true. GT5 will not be the cause of that. The Playstation brand is better supported in Europe than the xbox brand.

The PS3, despite having superior exclusives, and a very competitive price point, will not beat out the 360 in America. This generation in America is largely about online gaming. You game on the system your friends are so they can play you online. Most people have 360's. So they will keep being sold. Sony should gain some ground with all of their new updates and games, but they will definitely not surprass the 360 in America.

It is nice to speak to somebody who understands the market for once. Though, what do you mean that the playstation brand is better supported, all publishers treat Europe like shit, always have and always will. Notable offenders, Bandai-Namco and Capcom. Microsoft has however made serious in-roads and is very rapidly gaining a major stronghold. However Gran Turismo always sell massive amounts so it will work out to just about be a moot point.

With America, the PS3 has demonstrated it can sell large numbers when the right exclusives are released correctly, MGS4 demonstarted this quite well. But Gran Turismo has this appeal to a far more casual level, somewhat close to Halo. Therefore, if utilized properly, it could surpass the Wii(for a week, when the stars allign). I think Sony still can appeal to it's glory days of when the PS2 launched, which is clearly what the rebranding of the slim is attempting to do.
    Konata
    Mortal
    Mortal

Post  Konata Mon Aug 31, 2009 2:33 pm

I think the PS3 is better supported in Europe because it gets more Europe features (Such as Play TV and VidZone). A lot of what makes the 360 a popular console in America are features which no one else gets. Things like Netflex. The PS3 is advertised in Europe better too. It being region free will also be a boost to some especially savvy individuals as well. Plus, their internet over in Europe ain't as strong as it is in America, so the online is less of a concern. To me, thats where I see most of the 360's strength. It lies in its online capabilities. Without those, it has weaker (and less) exclusives than the PS3 and also has an extrodinarily large failure rate and a lot less features. On the other hand, the PS3 has free online, which while not as good, is good enough for people who only play occassionally online due to their poor connection. There is also the strength of the Buzz and SingStar brand!

Thats how I see it anyway!

Regardless, the price point probably (unfairly) turned many people off because the PS3 is more expensive than the 360. The Playstation products and the Nintendo Produects are priced by doubling their RRP in America for New Zealand, which isn't in line with the exchange rate at all. The 360 didn't have that, it was priced in line with the exchange rate. Plus in the beginning it had more exclusives and came out faster, so the PS3 will still struggle with that barrier to overcome even in Europe I think.

While developers treat Europe like shit, this doesn't effect the way console makers treat Europe.

I think you're on to something in regards the casual gamer. I think the price point is getting there for casual gamers. GT5 could very well get that market. On the other hand, the Playstation brand has to contend with the Wii. I know in the Oceania market the Wii has not hit it off. Unsure about Europe. In America it is nuts. I don't know if casual gamers will jump on games like GT5 like they might have once upon a time. I can see casual young men or young teenage boys doing that. Again though, in America, there is still a lot the PS3 has to fight off, namely the 360's online capabilities and the fact that their friends have one. Online gaming rules and people buy what their friends have, especially in America. Plus, the gap between the PS3 and the 360 is substantial. Sony would have to move an extra 7 million units or something over what the 360 moves this year, and keep in mind the 360 is also getting a price drop.

I could see Europe causal markets being pulled in by the strength of a lower price point and Buzz/SingStar, since those are brands Europe responds too.

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri May 17, 2024 4:04 pm