Tartarus

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Underworld Of Lightly (& Logically) Moderated Discussion & Debate

+4
83T'na
____
Summoner
woody67
8 posters

Can anyone help me to explain plasma to a nine year old?

woody67
    woody67
    Nymph
    Nymph

Can anyone help me to explain plasma to a nine year old? Empty Can anyone help me to explain plasma to a nine year old?

Post  woody67 Tue May 18, 2010 12:09 am

So we did the whole (with a lot of 20 cent pieces) that tightly together if the 20 cent pieces were molecules then they would be a solid ...further apart a liquid , spread further a gas and even wider plasma.(he showed me this by the way!)And some of it is vaguely familiar but sue me I was a history geography kinda gal.....

So anyway he is now quite fascinated with plasma and the speed at which it travels??? fuck!

If anyone could give me a rundown on this I would much appreciate it.

And I figure I state the obvious when I request that you dumb it down for me.......

Also he has asked me
    "if molecules are made of atoms,and atoms are made of protons,neutrons and electrons....what are protons, neutrons and electrons made of?" ...double fuck!

I have had a go at google and fucked if I can sort it out..

It is fun to learn with him but if I had a wee bit extra up my sleeve it would be good for my self esteem as a mum to be honest.
    Summoner
    Summoner
    Nymph
    Nymph

Can anyone help me to explain plasma to a nine year old? Empty Re: Can anyone help me to explain plasma to a nine year old?

Post  Summoner Tue May 18, 2010 1:22 am

Hence why I have LCD TV's.

Oh yeah... feel the funny there.
    ____
    ____
    Nymph
    Nymph

Can anyone help me to explain plasma to a nine year old? Empty Re: Can anyone help me to explain plasma to a nine year old?

Post  ____ Tue May 18, 2010 4:31 am

Plasma is a gas which is ionised, meaning the numbers of protons or electrons it carries is inequal, giving it either a positive or a negative charge.

As for what protons and electrons are made of, Quarks. Two up quarks and a down quark for a proton, two down quarks and an up quark for a neutron, so protons and neutrons are baryonic (made of 3 quarks) hadrons which means they're quarks held together by the strong force. Electrons are a fundamental particle which means they're not able to be broken down further into constituent parts.

I think below the level of quarks, you have gluons which are differentiated by their color charge and stuff, but if your 9 year old is capable of understanding that, you should just sell him to the circus because he's a freak, enjjoy the money and give up on this fool's errand.
    83T'na
    83T'na
    Nymph
    Nymph

Post  83T'na Tue May 18, 2010 8:05 am

Surprised I understood most of that.
    woody67
    woody67
    Nymph
    Nymph

Post  woody67 Tue May 18, 2010 8:25 am

shit so did I !

Many thanks will talk with him about it on the drive into school.
    ____
    ____
    Nymph
    Nymph

Post  ____ Tue May 18, 2010 11:41 am

Huh, I thought I might have posted something in the middle of the night while kind of asleep.
    woody67
    woody67
    Nymph
    Nymph

Post  woody67 Tue May 18, 2010 12:48 pm

awesome drive to school! He did ask what quarks were made from and I had to tell him that yes they were made up of something but I couldnt remember the name ....bugga...and then I said how intricate and tiny these things are and something along the lines of not being able to see them....and he said"but we kinda can see them mum ,cos everything is made up of molecules and so look around you"....so I dropped him off at the circus.
    83T'na
    83T'na
    Nymph
    Nymph

Post  83T'na Tue May 18, 2010 12:50 pm

woody67 wrote:awesome drive to school! He did ask what quarks were made from and I had to tell him that yes they were made up of something but I couldnt remember the name ....bugga...and then I said how intricate and tiny these things are and something along the lines of not being able to see them....and he said"but we kinda can see them mum ,cos everything is made up of molecules and so look around you"....so I dropped him off at the circus.
    Laughing
    Waireka
    Waireka
    River-God
    River-God

Post  Waireka Tue May 18, 2010 12:53 pm

Is he missing his school Woody?

I imagine mainstream is odd for him after experiencing his last school.
    woody67
    woody67
    Nymph
    Nymph

Post  woody67 Tue May 18, 2010 1:11 pm

I took him out of mainstream and put him into discovery here in CH CH it was mainstream school that was not his thing....he has evolved so much since being at discovery....and as you can tell I am struggling to keep up!!!!!
    Waireka
    Waireka
    River-God
    River-God

Post  Waireka Tue May 18, 2010 1:31 pm

woody67 wrote:I took him out of mainstream and put him into discovery here in CH CH it was mainstream school that was not his thing....he has evolved so much since being at discovery....and as you can tell I am struggling to keep up!!!!!

Weird, why did I think you had moved?
    woody67
    woody67
    Nymph
    Nymph

Post  woody67 Tue May 18, 2010 3:57 pm

buggered if I know! lol
    ____
    ____
    Nymph
    Nymph

Post  ____ Tue May 18, 2010 4:00 pm

woody67 wrote:awesome drive to school! He did ask what quarks were made from and I had to tell him that yes they were made up of something but I couldnt remember the name ....bugga...and then I said how intricate and tiny these things are and something along the lines of not being able to see them....and he said"but we kinda can see them mum ,cos everything is made up of molecules and so look around you"....so I dropped him off at the circus.

Well if he's so smart, maybe he can tell me where the missing 96% of the universe is.
    Donkeycheese
    Donkeycheese
    Nymph
    Nymph

Post  Donkeycheese Tue May 18, 2010 4:16 pm

____ wrote:

Well if he's so smart, maybe he can tell me where the missing 96% of the universe is.

judging by the required void, I would say in Psalter's arse
    woody67
    woody67
    Nymph
    Nymph

Post  woody67 Tue May 18, 2010 4:48 pm

god but your funny DC ...dont go changing.

Savant I asked him where the rest of the universe was and he said "probably in a Black hole".....so maybe he agrees with DC?

He was informing me today that there a millions upon milliions of atoms in a pinhead....we were going down an escalator at the time and he started to speculate on how many atoms would be in one of the stairs and then (praise the sweet lord!!!) he said..."this is ridiculous I'm pysching myself out now!"
    ____
    ____
    Nymph
    Nymph

Post  ____ Tue May 18, 2010 5:16 pm

Nah it's not in a black hole, it's genuinely missing.

Download a series called "Wonders of the solar system". If your kid doesn't enjoy it, I'll eat my hat. I don't have a hat but I'll buy one and then eat it.

woody67
    woody67
    Nymph
    Nymph

Post  woody67 Tue May 18, 2010 5:27 pm

Hey cheers for that, have started to watch it and it looks bloody good.
    ____
    ____
    Nymph
    Nymph

Post  ____ Tue May 18, 2010 8:09 pm

It is bloody good.

But at the same time, I watched it with a friend of my flatmate's who expressed amazement at the size of stars when explained in the show. She actually thought they were just tiny little specks of light, not gigantic nuclear fireballs.

I was like "WTF? Who let you in my house?"
    woody67
    woody67
    Nymph
    Nymph

Post  woody67 Tue May 18, 2010 11:05 pm

once I got home and re read your original post about gluons(sp) and told eli he was wrapped! liked the idea of colour identity and just the fact that he was going to school tommorow to regale the resident class "science leader" about them lol

I personally really need more info on the whole 96 percent universe disappearing info....when did we realise this was the case?
    has it always been the case?
    or has it disappered in our lifetime so to speak?
    ____
    ____
    Nymph
    Nymph

Post  ____ Wed May 19, 2010 10:54 am

woody67 wrote:once I got home and re read your original post about gluons(sp) and told eli he was wrapped! liked the idea of colour identity and just the fact that he was going to school tommorow to regale the resident class "science leader" about them lol

I personally really need more info on the whole 96 percent universe disappearing info....when did we realise this was the case?
    has it always been the case?
    or has it disappered in our lifetime so to speak?

4% of the universe is made of stuff we can see, stars, nebula, planets, us, etc... The rest, we don't know what or where it is.
    woody67
    woody67
    Nymph
    Nymph

Post  woody67 Wed May 19, 2010 12:11 pm

When I was at school were told that the universe was infinite
    then in my early twenties I was told that our universe is just one of many
    A science buff mate of mine explained one night that they believe (scientists)that at the edges of our universe there is a ring of all the particles and debris that go back to the big bang.
    I was curious to know how they worked out that we only know about 4% of the universe .....and then realised it is probably some majorly complex equation that I could never comprehend anyway.
    ydekm
    Nymph
    Nymph

Post  ydekm Wed May 19, 2010 12:13 pm

woody67 wrote:When I was at school were told that the universe was infinite
    A science buff mate of mine explained one night that they believe (scientists)that at the edges of our universe there is a ring of all the particles and debris that go back to the big bang.
    I was curious to know how they worked out that we only know about 4% of the universe .....and then realised it is probably some majorly complex equation that I could never comprehend anyway.

That's kinda what I was thinking... like how do you know how much we know if we don't know how big it is.

Simple links if you are going to bother educating me thanks.
    ____
    ____
    Nymph
    Nymph

Post  ____ Wed May 19, 2010 12:15 pm

woody67 wrote:When I was at school were told that the universe was infinite

The reason we know most of the universe is missing is because we have large-scale maps of the structure of the universe, made by things like WMAP. Using maps like that we can work out the approximate mass of the universe and things like that, and see how well the measured mass works out when compared to other things.

When you do all the math you realise that, according to the way the universe is behaving according to known rules, there is an awful lot of universe missing. Turns out most of it. It's also one of the most embarassing facts in Physics, that most of the universe is unaccounted for.

Will find some links now because I don't think I'm explaining it well enough.
    83T'na
    83T'na
    Nymph
    Nymph

Post  83T'na Wed May 19, 2010 12:25 pm

What are you studying for, Kieran? Did you ever consider teaching physics? You should.
    ____
    ____
    Nymph
    Nymph

Post  ____ Wed May 19, 2010 12:33 pm

83T'na wrote:What are you studying for, Kieran? Did you ever consider teaching physics? You should.

Would be kind of difficult, since I hate kids.

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Mar 29, 2024 2:34 pm