Tartarus

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Underworld Of Lightly (& Logically) Moderated Discussion & Debate

+13
relict
Tara
the distant one
woody67
frup
ChelseaT
Anjewel
Psalter
ydekm
Waireka
izzi
____
83T'na
17 posters

Pet peeves - what are yours?

Donkeycheese
    Donkeycheese
    Nymph
    Nymph

Pet peeves - what are yours? - Page 3 Empty Re: Pet peeves - what are yours?

Post  Donkeycheese Tue Jun 08, 2010 11:10 am

Sassydot wrote:
    Donkeycheese wrote:
    Sassydot wrote:people that indicate WRONG at roundabouts (don't indicate right when you're just going straight through, you fuckstick. I just sat there waiting for nothing!)

unfortunately, they changed the rules re: roundabut indication, and whilst I agree with you, the law is on their side, not yours

Nope

You don't signal on if you're going straight through.
    You signal off (which has always been the case), but not on.
    Only signal on if you're turning left, or signal right if going more than 1/2 way around

If you are going 'straight' through a roundabout:

* don't signal as you come up to the roundabout
    * signal left as you pass the exit before the one you wish to take. At some small roundabouts it may not be possible to give three seconds warning, but it is courteous to give as much indication as you can.

I stand corrected !
    83T'na
    83T'na
    Nymph
    Nymph

Post  83T'na Tue Jun 08, 2010 11:12 am

If I'm going straight through a roundabout, I make sure I'm in the right lane to do so. If there is only one lane, I indicate right (just so everyone knows I'm NOT going left) and then indicate left so they know I'm leaving the roundabout.

If there are two lanes, I'll get into the right hand lane and indicate left so the people on my left know they can't move yet.

Does that make sense? scratch
    Sassydot
    Sassydot
    Nymph
    Nymph

Post  Sassydot Tue Jun 08, 2010 11:20 am

No, it doesn't

All that does is cause confusion, because people don't know WTF you're doing, delays as they have to stop and wait and see what's happening, only to discover they needn't have waited at all as there was no need to give way, and accidents as people see you indicate left and take that to mean you're actually going left, when in actual fact you're not.

Evil or Very Mad

Go get a road code.
    ChelseaT
    ChelseaT
    Nymph
    Nymph

Post  ChelseaT Fri Jun 11, 2010 8:21 am

Ultimo pet peeve: Every single thing my asshole flatmate does. Like loud as fuck prayer shit at 7am. I just casually like to hear a bit of screamo death metal at 7am too! Loud. Guts for you, mother fucker.
    Kissme
    Kissme
    Mortal
    Mortal

Post  Kissme Fri Jun 11, 2010 9:55 am

The biggest peeve I have is those who eat with their mouth open. CLOSE YOUR FUCKING MOUTH YOU ANIMAL! Grrr! The MIL does it, I silently rage to keep the peace.

People that scuff their feet. I'm sorry life is so fucking hard for you but fuck, take your lazy arse elsewhere.

The whole Twilight saga. Are you fucking serious? It is so shithouse it's not funny. Actually, the movies are funny but I think they are not meant to be.

And another one, which is probably wrong of me but ah well... Mothers who claim that being a mother is a full time job but who talk about it in the sense that your actual job is nowhere near as hard as what they do. Fuck you, Im responsible for 100 people at the moment, half who act like kids anyway.

/rant
    83T'na
    83T'na
    Nymph
    Nymph

Post  83T'na Fri Jun 11, 2010 10:10 am

Kissme wrote:

And another one, which is probably wrong of me but ah well... Mothers who claim that being a mother is a full time job but who talk about it in the sense that your actual job is nowhere near as hard as what they do. Fuck you, Im responsible for 100 people at the moment, half who act like kids anyway.

/rant

I hate you. Are you a mother? How dare you devalue me in that way.
    Sassydot
    Sassydot
    Nymph
    Nymph

Post  Sassydot Fri Jun 11, 2010 10:25 am

Kissme wrote:

Laughing
    Actually, I have to agree.
    Apart from the mental retardation it was causing me, and the lack of money, being a SAHM was a pretty sweet gig. I've never had a cruisier time.

Additionally to this: SAHMs who go on and on about how they're OH SO BUSY all the time, yet seem to have plenty of time for sitting on their asses on the internet all day... AND THEN insist that their partner, who has actually been WORKING all day, does half the housework during his free time, usually most of the outdoor work, and has to take charge of the kids after he gets home because ZOMG she has been doing it ALL DAY and needs some time off.

I could go on and on and on... I spent way too much time involved in TNN, which just crawls with people like that
    ydekm
    Nymph
    Nymph

Post  ydekm Fri Jun 11, 2010 10:41 am

Kissme wrote:

/rant

There are a lot of those Mother's around - especially in Auckland. Motherhood in general weirds me out - especially the feminazi (HATE that term but it's apt) type that hang on SC and judge everyone about nappies and breastfeeding (or not) and whether you let your baby cry itself to sleep (or not)... and what you describe is another form of that.

I don't devalue the role that a mother does and I appreciate it is really hard work, but how about you come do my job for a week successfully and then let's compare apples.

Last edited by ydekm on Fri Jun 11, 2010 10:57 am; edited 1 time in total
    Donkeycheese
    Donkeycheese
    Nymph
    Nymph

Post  Donkeycheese Fri Jun 11, 2010 10:43 am

ydekm wrote:Motherhood in general weirds me out - especially the feminazi

I am a father, and it pisses me off that I can't be a feminazi and tell mothers everywhere that they are doing it WRONG
    ChelseaT
    ChelseaT
    Nymph
    Nymph

Post  ChelseaT Fri Jun 11, 2010 10:51 am

Related.
    ____
    ____
    Nymph
    Nymph

Post  ____ Fri Jun 11, 2010 10:53 am

ydekm wrote:
    I don't devalue the role that a mother does and I appreciate it is really hard work, but how about you come do my job for a week successfully and then let's compare apples.

Oh c'mon, anyone can be a mother, they've been doing it for hundreds of thousands of years. Your job, I'd wager, is quite a bit harder.
    Sassydot
    Sassydot
    Nymph
    Nymph

Post  Sassydot Fri Jun 11, 2010 10:53 am

ydekm wrote:especially the feminazi (HATE that term but it's apt) type that hang on SC and judge everyone about nappies and breastfeeding (or not) and whether you let your baby cry itself to sleep (or not)...

Crunchys, like RR

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=crunchy%20mama
    ____
    ____
    Nymph
    Nymph

Post  ____ Fri Jun 11, 2010 10:56 am

Sassydot wrote:
    ydekm wrote:especially the feminazi (HATE that term but it's apt) type that hang on SC and judge everyone about nappies and breastfeeding (or not) and whether you let your baby cry itself to sleep (or not)...

Crunchys, like RR

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=crunchy%20mama

Huh, I didn't know there was a word for that that wasn't "Retard".
    Sassydot
    Sassydot
    Nymph
    Nymph

Post  Sassydot Fri Jun 11, 2010 10:57 am

ChelseaT wrote:Related.

LOLs
    ____
    ____
    Nymph
    Nymph

Post  ____ Fri Jun 11, 2010 10:58 am

Oh as for pet peeves, I hate being accused of close-mindedness, especially by people who demonstrate all the attributes of someone who is close-minded, and doesn't actually know what open-mindedness is.
    Sassydot
    Sassydot
    Nymph
    Nymph

Post  Sassydot Fri Jun 11, 2010 11:02 am

____ wrote:Huh, I didn't know there was a word for that that wasn't "Retard".

They're their own little sub-species of retard, but funner to play with than actual retards
    83T'na
    83T'na
    Nymph
    Nymph

Post  83T'na Fri Jun 11, 2010 11:09 am

____ wrote:
    ydekm wrote:

Oh c'mon, anyone can be a mother, they've been doing it for hundreds of thousands of years. Your job, I'd wager, is quite a bit harder.

Not everyone can be a successful mother. SAHD's often do a far better job.

But, if you want to compare apples, SAHMotherhood and working in an office don't really compare. As a teacher, Psalter qualifies as a better comparison.
    ydekm
    Nymph
    Nymph

Post  ydekm Fri Jun 11, 2010 11:15 am

83T'na wrote:
    ____ wrote:
    ydekm wrote:

Not everyone can be a successful mother. SAHD's often do a far better job.

But, if you want to compare apples, SAHMotherhood and working in an office don't really compare. As a teacher, Psalter qualifies as a better comparison.

I dont "work in an office". I spend my day at a computer but there is more to it than that. I dont think working with children (as either a teacher or parent) automatically means your job is harder than anyone elses.

Staying at home in my pajamas all day sounds pretty sweet right about now.

And while my current job is taxing mentally, my previous roles in government and writing act reforms was much harder in a management sense.
    83T'na
    83T'na
    Nymph
    Nymph

Post  83T'na Fri Jun 11, 2010 11:19 am

I'm not saying that motherhood is any more difficult than your job, YDEKM. Just different. That's why they don't 'compare'.

Except, your job is valuable to you and mine is valuable to me and my family. If you want to compare the two, do it on that level.
    ydekm
    Nymph
    Nymph

Post  ydekm Fri Jun 11, 2010 11:21 am

To be fair, all of my roles have been about manipulating someone to do something I required.
    And I'm good at it. I identify the ego and work to it.

And I have worked and lived with children before. And it's the same deal to an extent.
    83T'na
    83T'na
    Nymph
    Nymph

Post  83T'na Fri Jun 11, 2010 11:22 am

ydekm wrote:To be fair, all of my roles have been about manipulating someone to do something I required.

And I have worked and lived with children before. And it's the same deal to an extent.

Very much so. You'll make a good mum, when you're ready.
    ydekm
    Nymph
    Nymph

Post  ydekm Fri Jun 11, 2010 11:26 am

83T'na wrote:I'm not saying that motherhood is any more difficult than your job, YDEKM. Just different. That's why they don't 'compare'.

Except, your job is valuable to you and mine is valuable to me and my family. If you want to compare the two, do it on that level.

I think they do compare. Anything can be compared.

There are obvious differences but you can transfer skills between any role and parenting.
    ydekm
    Nymph
    Nymph

Post  ydekm Fri Jun 11, 2010 11:28 am

83T'na wrote:
    ydekm wrote:To be fair, all of my roles have been about manipulating someone to do something I required.

Very much so. You'll make a good mum, when you're ready.

Hmmm not sure about that one. I think there is a level of selflessness required in my opinion that I dont have and maybe never will.
    Sassydot
    Sassydot
    Nymph
    Nymph

Post  Sassydot Fri Jun 11, 2010 11:29 am

83T'na wrote:

Then it goes both ways - SAHMs shouldn't be making out that their 'job' is any more meaningful, important, taxing, than anyone elses, but they do.

Well I've worked out of home, full time, part time, from home full time and part time, and been a SAHM with no other work commitments, and done all both while studying and while not, and hands down, being SAHM is the crusiest, least taxing job of the lot.

I don't know about any other jobs but I haven't yet found one that enables me to turn the tv on when I've had enough, or go for coffee for "something to do" or lie down on the couch and watch my work play when I get tired

To some degree I still sit on my bum and eat chocolate and play on the net, but i have to make it up later, rather than it just being a 'lazy' day.

Oh, to stay in pjs and a dressing gown half the day like many do...

Working, so that we can pay to heat the house in winter rather than freezing, and eat a decent diet, and buy the kids new shoes when they need them rather than having to budget for months to afford it, is more valuable to my family.
    Now, I'm not saying that you, personally, can't do those things, but many families where the mother stays at home rather than working, that is the sacrifice they make. And they claim they're staying at home for the "good" of the kids. Because living in a cold damp house, with laundry drying everywhere, eating crap food, and having stressed out about finances parents, is really good for them...
    IYGWIM
    83T'na
    83T'na
    Nymph
    Nymph

Post  83T'na Fri Jun 11, 2010 11:30 am

[quote="ydekm"]
    83T'na wrote:
    I think they do compare. Anything can be compared.

There are obvious differences but you can transfer skills between any role and parenting.

You can transfer a lot of 'mothering' skills to the work place too. Except, it's such a shame not many employers acknowledge that.

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu May 02, 2024 11:11 pm