Tartarus

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Underworld Of Lightly (& Logically) Moderated Discussion & Debate

+4
izzi
dabiarch
83T'na
Waireka
8 posters

Marks (because I can never remember your T name)

Waireka
    Waireka
    River-God
    River-God

Marks (because I can never remember your T name) Empty Marks (because I can never remember your T name)

Post  Waireka Tue May 25, 2010 6:39 pm

markslovenzEnthusiast 300+ Exp
    25/05/2010 5:43:16 PM My sister's grandson (all of 17ish) and his girlfriend just had a baby today. A little boy, 8.5lbs. Everyone is healthy and doing well.

So, my sister is now a great grandmother at age 56 and I am a great great aunty at not quite 50.

Not sure if I should laugh or cry. Confused :S

Hehe, my MIL was a great-grandmother at 52.

I was a great-aunt at 21.

I'm likely to be in your shoes by 50.

Feels bizare huh?

Congratulations.
    83T'na
    83T'na
    Nymph
    Nymph

Marks (because I can never remember your T name) Empty Re: Marks (because I can never remember your T name)

Post  83T'na Tue May 25, 2010 6:48 pm

Thanks hon - that's really nice. Smile

Yes, odd is definately the word.

The grandfather in this case was born when I was almost 13 and he was a dad before he was 20 as well. He's now 37.

All I can say is thank Christ my two boys didn't follow my example. Laughing
    dabiarch
    dabiarch
    Nymph
    Nymph

Marks (because I can never remember your T name) Empty Re: Marks (because I can never remember your T name)

Post  dabiarch Tue May 25, 2010 6:58 pm

my daughter was a great aunt when she was born....she is now great, great aunt Smile
    Waireka
    Waireka
    River-God
    River-God

Post  Waireka Tue May 25, 2010 7:03 pm

Everyone thinks it's strange Jim and I are having babies so late in life... (23 and 29), bizare idea about ideal ages to make a family.

His siblings all had kids before 20.
    izzi
    izzi
    Nymph
    Nymph

Post  izzi Tue May 25, 2010 7:33 pm

You're not late, they're premature. Laughing
    ____
    ____
    Nymph
    Nymph

Post  ____ Tue May 25, 2010 7:54 pm

I find the idea of having kids before 30 to be odd. My parents waited til they had their careers sorted first, after more than 10 years of marriage before they had kids. Mum's hardly old at 50 something, but my oldest brother is 27, I'm 28, and I reckon our lives were much better because they waited before having kids.
    ydekm
    Nymph
    Nymph

Post  ydekm Tue May 25, 2010 7:59 pm

____ wrote:I find the idea of having kids before 30 to be odd. My parents waited til they had their careers sorted first, after more than 10 years of marriage before they had kids. Mum's hardly old at 50 something, but my oldest brother is 27, I'm 28, and I reckon our lives were much better because they waited before having kids.

My parents had my brother and I fairly young (21,27 when they had me). And like my Mum says, something's gotta give. Either you have kids young and start your career later, or have an established career and take time off to have kids. Both have their negatives in terms of career and career progression (as a woman).

That's assuming you want/can have a career I guess.
    ChelseaT
    ChelseaT
    Nymph
    Nymph

Post  ChelseaT Tue May 25, 2010 8:02 pm

ydekm wrote:
    ____ wrote:I find the idea of having kids before 30 to be odd. My parents waited til they had their careers sorted first, after more than 10 years of marriage before they had kids. Mum's hardly old at 50 something, but my oldest brother is 27, I'm 28, and I reckon our lives were much better because they waited before having kids.

My parents had my brother and I fairly young (21,27 when they had me). And like my Mum says, something's gotta give. Either you have kids young and start your career later, or have an established career and take time off to have kids. Both have their negatives in terms of career and career progression (as a woman).

Or want/can have children.

Bold bit made me pull my wtfface.
    ydekm
    Nymph
    Nymph

Post  ydekm Tue May 25, 2010 8:04 pm

ChelseaT wrote:
    ydekm wrote:

Indeedy. As it was a coversation re age of great-aunty-dom or grandparent-ness, I figured it was a given we were talking about breeders.

hahah Yeah, typo there Kieran?
    ____
    ____
    Nymph
    Nymph

Post  ____ Tue May 25, 2010 8:04 pm

ydekm wrote:

I'll agree with this only provisionally, in that my mum took bugger all time off, as far as I can recall, because she was working when I was about 4 after my little brother was born and we were in playcentre, etc... But then, for about the last 10 years or so she's only ever worked part-time because that's all she's had to.
    ____
    ____
    Nymph
    Nymph

Post  ____ Tue May 25, 2010 8:05 pm

Not a typo, I've had 3 extra birthdays in the last 3 weeks.
    ChelseaT
    ChelseaT
    Nymph
    Nymph

Post  ChelseaT Tue May 25, 2010 8:06 pm

ydekm wrote:
    ChelseaT wrote:
    ydekm wrote:

Indeedy. As it was a coversation re age of great-aunty-dom or grandparent-ness, I figured it was a given we were talking about breeders.

Oh right. My bad.
    ydekm
    Nymph
    Nymph

Post  ydekm Tue May 25, 2010 8:07 pm

____ wrote:
    ydekm wrote:

I'll agree with this only provisionally, in that my mum took bugger all time off, as far as I can recall, because she was working when I was about 4 after my little brother was born and we were in playcentre, etc... But then, for about the last 10 years or so she's only ever worked part-time because that's all she's had to.

Time off is time off. My brother and I are less than 2 years apart. So my mum was off for 2 years from my birth, to his birth. Then another 2.5 years until we were in kindy & school. So that's 4.5 years. Plus all the time off for school holidays, sick kids etc. It all adds up.
    ChelseaT
    ChelseaT
    Nymph
    Nymph

Post  ChelseaT Tue May 25, 2010 8:12 pm

ydekm wrote:
    ____ wrote:
    ydekm wrote:

Time off is time off. My brother and I are less than 2 years apart. So my mum was off for 2 years from my birth, to his birth. Then another 2.5 years until we were in kindy & school. So that's 4.5 years. Plus all the time off for school holidays, sick kids etc. It all adds up.

I was in creche at six months, school holiday programmes and before/after school care. My dad was the one who stayed home for sick days.
    ydekm
    Nymph
    Nymph

Post  ydekm Tue May 25, 2010 8:14 pm

Yeah see while staying home all day talking to a baby, or no one, sounds painful. I dont think I could chuck my baby in daycare. Guess we'll see!

My dad took time off later - when Mum really couldnt because she was working on building her career and couldnt afford the time off progression wise... while Dad had more flexibility being a snr manager I guess. His career was already built.

Anyway - the point is something has to give... whether it's the bank balance with daycare, or career progression due to staying at home with your kids.

Fuck the quotes all fucked up for no apparent reason.

Last edited by ydekm on Tue May 25, 2010 8:17 pm; edited 2 times in total
    ____
    ____
    Nymph
    Nymph

Post  ____ Tue May 25, 2010 8:16 pm

My dad didn't take time off. He took us into work if there was nobody to look after us, and my older brother and I took that opportunity to lock my younger brother in a giant vault. It was fucking awesome.
    ydekm
    Nymph
    Nymph

Post  ydekm Tue May 25, 2010 8:20 pm

____ wrote:My dad didn't take time off. He took us into work if there was nobody to look after us, and my older brother and I took that opportunity to lock my younger brother in a giant vault. It was fucking awesome.

Yeah not really an option for us.. my Dad worked in a power station.
    ____
    ____
    Nymph
    Nymph

Post  ____ Tue May 25, 2010 8:22 pm

I've no idea what my dad's office building (at that time) used to be, but every floor had giant vaults on them. Like foot thick metal door vaults.
    ChelseaT
    ChelseaT
    Nymph
    Nymph

Post  ChelseaT Tue May 25, 2010 8:24 pm

ydekm wrote:
    ____ wrote:My dad didn't take time off. He took us into work if there was nobody to look after us, and my older brother and I took that opportunity to lock my younger brother in a giant vault. It was fucking awesome.

I got dragged along to the meat works that my dad worked at. That place fucking stinks.
    Waireka
    Waireka
    River-God
    River-God

Post  Waireka Tue May 25, 2010 8:29 pm

ydekm wrote:Yeah see while staying home all day talking to a baby, or no one, sounds painful.

It is!

But it wouldn't be financially viable for me to put him in daycare and forget leaving him with my MIL who thinks diet-coke in baby bottles is fine. Supervised visitation only.

My Dad was a stay-at-home-dad, much to my benefit. Mum works 2-3 jobs when they were together.

I'm pretty traditional, when I eventually go back to work, all kids will be in school and it will be a job, not a career, family will always be my main focus and knowing myself, a career would be pointless.
    83T'na
    83T'na
    Nymph
    Nymph

Post  83T'na Tue May 25, 2010 8:55 pm

I just want a JOB!!!!!! *sigh*

The reason I've been offline for so long is because a 'leading market research company' have been remotely installing software so I can be an at home interviewer. They said it should take about 40 minutes at most. Over an hour and a half later I've finally got my own desk top back.

I can't WAIT to get a real job. At least with this one after school care isn't an issue.
    woody67
    woody67
    Nymph
    Nymph

Post  woody67 Tue May 25, 2010 11:23 pm

My mum always worked when I was a kid....my dad was pretty ill and died at 45, mum had always owned her own hairdressing business and I think she instilled a work ethic in us that has stuck with me.....I was 33 when I had my son and chose the option of just one because I knew if I had to bring him up on my own (due to a break up or death/accidental handicap of my partner etc) I could give him a quality of life and education that I couldn't do if I had more.
    At 43 now and my son ten later this year, I am relieved to report that even on a single income (worst case scenario) I can confidently provide him with a secure lifestyle.

I always enjoyed other friends and families children before I had mine but have no regrets that I had major life experiences before having my own.

My man has a Daughter who is 24 years older than my son and she has a son who is 4 years younger than our boy so I am a stepnana.
    ydekm
    Nymph
    Nymph

Post  ydekm Wed May 26, 2010 7:50 am

ChelseaT wrote:
    ydekm wrote:

I got dragged along to the meat works that my dad worked at. That place fucking stinks.

Really! We were allowed in at weekends... but my Dad did literally work in the turbine area. So big OSH no no, even in the 80s.
    ChelseaT
    ChelseaT
    Nymph
    Nymph

Post  ChelseaT Wed May 26, 2010 9:22 am

ydekm wrote:
    ChelseaT wrote:
    ydekm wrote:

Really! We were allowed in at weekends... but my Dad did literally work in the turbine area. So big OSH no no, even in the 80s.

Yeh he worked in an office upstairs but you still had to walk through the factory floor bit to get to the lift. There were lanes painted on the ground that you had to walk along, I had my own pair of overalls and these giant white gumboots that I had to wear in that bit.
    83T'na
    83T'na
    Nymph
    Nymph

Post  83T'na Wed May 26, 2010 9:44 am

ChelseaT wrote:
    ydekm wrote:
    ChelseaT wrote:
    ydekm wrote:

Yeh he worked in an office upstairs but you still had to walk through the factory floor bit to get to the lift. There were lanes painted on the ground that you had to walk along, I had my own pair of overalls and these giant white gumboots that I had to wear in that bit.

Aaawwww - you MUST have a photo of THAT somewhere. You must have looked so cute. Laughing

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Wed May 15, 2024 7:51 pm