Tartarus

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Underworld Of Lightly (& Logically) Moderated Discussion & Debate

+4
83T'na
____
Summoner
woody67
8 posters

Can anyone help me to explain plasma to a nine year old?

woody67
    woody67
    Nymph
    Nymph

Can anyone help me to explain plasma to a nine year old? - Page 2 Empty Re: Can anyone help me to explain plasma to a nine year old?

Post  woody67 Wed May 19, 2010 12:54 pm

So in a way 96% of the universe isnt actually missing as such it just that we havn't figured out the right equation to account for it?
    ____
    ____
    Nymph
    Nymph

Can anyone help me to explain plasma to a nine year old? - Page 2 Empty Re: Can anyone help me to explain plasma to a nine year old?

Post  ____ Wed May 19, 2010 12:57 pm

I guess you could put it that way, but it's actually missing in that we don't know what it is, and considering it's 96% of the universe, that's a tad embarrassing.

We know it's "there", because we can observe the speed of distant galaxies and stuff, and we can measure the mass that they should have by what's around them, how fast they're moving, plus the light emitted and stuff, and basically everything is moving much faster than it should be, which means there's a shit-ton (Approximately 30 metric assloads) of mass that we can't account for. That is stuff we call dark matter and dark energy, because what else do you call stuff you can't find?
    83T'na
    83T'na
    Nymph
    Nymph

Post  83T'na Wed May 19, 2010 1:03 pm

____ wrote:
    83T'na wrote:What are you studying for, Kieran? Did you ever consider teaching physics? You should.

Would be kind of difficult, since I hate kids.

They're not 'kids'. Well, most of them are over 15, aren't they? They must be almost human by then. Laughing
    ____
    ____
    Nymph
    Nymph

Post  ____ Wed May 19, 2010 1:15 pm

83T'na wrote:
    ____ wrote:
    83T'na wrote:What are you studying for, Kieran? Did you ever consider teaching physics? You should.

Would be kind of difficult, since I hate kids.

They're not 'kids'. Well, most of them are over 15, aren't they? They must be almost human by then. Laughing

Under 18, as a general rule, equals idiot.

Can anyone help me to explain plasma to a nine year old? - Page 2 Spiral10

However, observations show the following:

A) is what we predicted, showing that the outer edge of the galaxy slows according to distance from the galactic core.
    B) is however what observational evidence shows, that the outer edge rotates the same as the inner edge regardless of distance from the core.

Can anyone help me to explain plasma to a nine year old? - Page 2 800px-GalacticRotation2.svg

What this means is that there is a huge, huge amount of material in the galactic haloes that we can't see, and it applies to the vast majority of spiral galaxies. I can't recall the number, but I believe spiral galaxies make up the vast majority of galaxies in the observable universe, which means there's a ton of stuff we can't see. There's a similar issue with the makeup of elliptical or irregular galaxies but that's more complicated to explain.

And that's just one of the ways we know the universe is hiding stuff from us.
    Donkeycheese
    Donkeycheese
    Nymph
    Nymph

Post  Donkeycheese Wed May 19, 2010 2:10 pm

____ wrote:what else do you call stuff you can't find?

my date?
    Psalter
    Psalter
    River-God
    River-God

Post  Psalter Wed May 19, 2010 2:25 pm

Donkeycheese wrote:

my dick?

fix'd
    Donkeycheese
    Donkeycheese
    Nymph
    Nymph

Post  Donkeycheese Wed May 19, 2010 2:47 pm

Psalter wrote:
    Donkeycheese wrote:

my dick?

fix'd

my dick is easy to find

you struggle to find it because it is behind you
    ____
    ____
    Nymph
    Nymph

Post  ____ Wed May 19, 2010 2:48 pm

Take your juvenile theatrics elsewhere, I'm explaining the universe you goddamn cretins!
    Donkeycheese
    Donkeycheese
    Nymph
    Nymph

Post  Donkeycheese Wed May 19, 2010 2:58 pm

____ wrote:Take your juvenile theatrics elsewhere,

No you

____ wrote:I'm explaining the universe you goddamn cretins!

what do you think I'm explaining? It's Psalter's fucking arse!!!

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Wed May 08, 2024 8:06 pm