Tartarus

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Underworld Of Lightly (& Logically) Moderated Discussion & Debate

+2
ChelseaT
Waireka
6 posters

Is That Fair?

Waireka
    Waireka
    River-God
    River-God

Is That Fair? Empty Is That Fair?

Post  Waireka Wed Oct 21, 2009 5:59 pm

In high school we had a boy, he was the Kapa Haka leader, spoke perfect English and Maori, captain of the basketball team, first fifteen rugby player, top in all his subjects every year, speech competitions winner, tutored junior students, lead role in the school musical, regional rep, sung the anthem for All Blacks matches, volunteered in the special needs unit and was a general do-gooder awesome representation of our school.

He won several awards from the council for his achievements, not to mention the awards he won through school and other avenues.

Come the end of my 7th form year (his 6th) we had to vote for prefects and head students, one would assume with a school resume like his he'd be a shoe in for head boy.

End of year prizegiving I was sitting with his and my families, the principal was announcing the prefects and head students. He didn't even make a prefect spot. The disappointment on his and his families faces was obvious.

The next day I mentioned how suprised I was to my friend who was the Head Girl for our year level, she then told me how she was there when they were selecting the head students and someone mentioned that he had a 1 year old son who lived with him, his partner and his family. Instant removal from the running.

Is that fair?
    ChelseaT
    ChelseaT
    Nymph
    Nymph

Is That Fair? Empty Re: Is That Fair?

Post  ChelseaT Wed Oct 21, 2009 6:06 pm

Not responsible enough to wear a condom?

I don't know, that was my first response but in reality it's a bit more tough than that because that's assuming all teen pregnancies are unplanned. Perhaps they were thinking from a different line, as in should we be giving this young man any more responsibilities in fear of overwhelming him?
    frup
    frup
    Nymph
    Nymph

Post  frup Wed Oct 21, 2009 6:07 pm

No, but then again life isn't fair. Small things can end careers, especially in environments where a person is a role model to others. I suppose we can effectively say teenage pregnancies get you no where in life Razz
    Waireka
    Waireka
    River-God
    River-God

Post  Waireka Wed Oct 21, 2009 6:08 pm

ChelseaT wrote:Not responsible enough to wear a condom?

I don't know, that was my first response but in reality it's a bit more tough than that because that's assuming all teen pregnancies are unplanned. Perhaps they were thinking from a different line, as in should we be giving this young man any more responsibilities in fear of overwhelming him?

Despite him having coped with a huge load of school responsiblity for a year after his son was born?

I think they saw him as a poor role model due to one bad decision (followed by a series of great decisions).
    woody67
    woody67
    Nymph
    Nymph

Post  woody67 Wed Oct 21, 2009 7:42 pm

Hmmm Can see both sides to this and yet on his side of it he owned up to his responsibilities as a dad and still continued to acheive highly at school, if say it had been that he had assaulted or harmed in some way then i would agree with not promoting him.
    Tikva
    Tikva
    Nymph
    Nymph

Post  Tikva Wed Oct 21, 2009 7:47 pm

Personally, I think it is very unfair! Takes me back to the days when you were kicked out of school if you were pregnant. TBH, if I was his family, I'd take it to the Media!
    Waireka
    Waireka
    River-God
    River-God

Post  Waireka Wed Oct 21, 2009 8:05 pm

He decided to start Uni a year earlier than he had planned. He's now a teacher with definite potential for more awesome in his future.

All to the schools loss though.
    the distant one
    the distant one
    Nymph
    Nymph

Post  the distant one Wed Oct 21, 2009 8:29 pm

Waireka wrote:In high school we had a boy, he was the Kapa Haka leader, spoke perfect English and Maori, captain of the basketball team, first fifteen rugby player, top in all his subjects every year, speech competitions winner, tutored junior students, lead role in the school musical, regional rep, sung the anthem for All Blacks matches, volunteered in the special needs unit and was a general do-gooder awesome representation of our school.

He won several awards from the council for his achievements, not to mention the awards he won through school and other avenues.

Come the end of my 7th form year (his 6th) we had to vote for prefects and head students, one would assume with a school resume like his he'd be a shoe in for head boy.

End of year prizegiving I was sitting with his and my families, the principal was announcing the prefects and head students. He didn't even make a prefect spot. The disappointment on his and his families faces was obvious.

The next day I mentioned how suprised I was to my friend who was the Head Girl for our year level, she then told me how she was there when they were selecting the head students and someone mentioned that he had a 1 year old son who lived with him, his partner and his family. Instant removal from the running.

Is that fair?

and how do ya know tht was the real reason?:
    the girl could have been mistaken on many levels...she was a 17yr old girl. it could have come from a good place ie the guy didnt have time for extra responsibilities when he had a young family.

but at the end of the dya shit happens and ya just gotta suck it up and do your best with your lot.

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu May 02, 2024 9:17 pm