Tartarus

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Underworld Of Lightly (& Logically) Moderated Discussion & Debate

+2
Lynz
Waireka
6 posters

Should They Be Punished?

Waireka
    Waireka
    River-God
    River-God

Should They Be Punished? Empty Should They Be Punished?

Post  Waireka Mon Oct 19, 2009 12:52 pm

A group of Auckland Grammar School students are facing disciplinary action after photos of them bowing down in front of Nazi regalia appeared on Facebook.

The images showed the boys, in school uniform, kissing a swastika, making a Nazi salute, and kneeling in homage before a Nazi flag at an Auckland War Memorial Museum exhibition, Radio New Zealand reported.

The photos were posted on social networking website Facebook, but have now been taken down.

Returned and Services' Association national president Robin Klitscher said the boys' actions were disgusting.

"Above all it's profoundly ignorant and I think that is probably what causes the greatest offence," he said.

"Would these young folks have done the same thing in front of the holocaust exhibition, for example."

Auckland Grammar School principal John Morris said there was absolutely no justification for the immature and unthinking actions of the boys.

All the students involved had been interviewed after the school became aware of the photos on Friday, and their families would be informed today, he said.

Sauce
    Lynz
    Lynz
    Nymph
    Nymph

Should They Be Punished? Empty Re: Should They Be Punished?

Post  Lynz Mon Oct 19, 2009 2:07 pm

I've always held the opinion that the men who went away to fight, went for, among other things, Freedom. That includes the right for people to act as morons.

Held up to public ridicule? Yes.

Punished? No.
    Diaz
    Nymph
    Nymph

Post  Diaz Tue Oct 20, 2009 1:17 am

Blank

Last edited by Diaz on Tue Mar 30, 2010 10:15 pm; edited 1 time in total
    Waireka
    Waireka
    River-God
    River-God

Post  Waireka Tue Oct 20, 2009 1:21 am

Diaz wrote:I think they should be educated on a few facts and on critical thinking for that matter, this is just sheer ignorance on their part.

Maybe a compulsary history lesson or three...
    Diaz
    Nymph
    Nymph

Post  Diaz Tue Oct 20, 2009 1:40 am

Blank

Last edited by Diaz on Tue Mar 30, 2010 10:15 pm; edited 1 time in total
    Waireka
    Waireka
    River-God
    River-God

Post  Waireka Tue Oct 20, 2009 11:44 am

Diaz wrote:
    Waireka wrote:
    Diaz wrote:I think they should be educated on a few facts and on critical thinking for that matter, this is just sheer ignorance on their part.

Maybe a compulsary history lesson or three...

Problem was they were in a museum......

You'd think they would have grasped the significance of what they were learning there, but obviously not.

Kids will be kids, look at all the colours, ignore all the signs, walk in thinking they know it all therefore ignoring any new information.
    canterella
    canterella
    Nymph
    Nymph

Post  canterella Tue Oct 20, 2009 12:58 pm

They have been punished already by this 'non-news' being plastered all over the media.
    Donkeycheese
    Donkeycheese
    Nymph
    Nymph

Post  Donkeycheese Tue Oct 20, 2009 2:23 pm

canterella wrote:They have been punished already by this 'non-news' being plastered all over the media.

not yet they haven't - they remain anonymous!

I reckon make them front up to their own grandparents to explain their actions. Surely they have someone in their family who was a soldier??

public ridicule & education
    relict
    relict
    River-God
    River-God

Post  relict Tue Oct 20, 2009 2:56 pm

Depends on the 'punishment', though probably not.

Perhaps whatever it is that they need is something that should be given to everybody (their age) so therefore it would not be a punishment, but education/whatever.

If I were their principal, I wouldn't name or shame them, but I'd address all the children via assembly talk and class discussions involving their peers.

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu May 02, 2024 1:30 pm