Tartarus

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Underworld Of Lightly (& Logically) Moderated Discussion & Debate

4 posters

Media Creating False Emotional Bonds With Their Topics

Waireka
    Waireka
    River-God
    River-God

Media Creating False Emotional Bonds With Their Topics Empty Media Creating False Emotional Bonds With Their Topics

Post  Waireka Sat Oct 17, 2009 10:35 pm

So... I had a similar topic in SC the other day that was modded for no obvious reason, possibly the moderator was one of those strangers attending Aisling Symes funeral to share in the grief.

More and more we see people getting overly emotional about the death of people who are ultimately 'strangers' to them.

Michael Jacksons death brought out hysterical, crying, depressed mourners, who have never met him. I felt a loss for the music industry, a loss of potential music and sympathy for his family and friends, but nothing more than I would muster for any other stranger.

Aisling Symes death was followed by people behaving in the same way, even on SC, suprise, suprise... Obviously sympathy for the family is felt amongst most and a sadness her life was cut short far too soon, but how many strangers showed up at her funeral. There were (according to Stuff) thousands of people at the funeral.

So why are people involving themselves so deeply in others grief, to go as far as borrowing their grief and taking it upon themselves?

Does the media involve our emotions too much when they're supposed to be reporting facts? With the Aisling media coverage, I understand it was to raise awareness, but following her death the media covered the funeral etc... when really the news was over and the family should've been left to grieve.
    Diaz
    Nymph
    Nymph

Media Creating False Emotional Bonds With Their Topics Empty Re: Media Creating False Emotional Bonds With Their Topics

Post  Diaz Sat Oct 17, 2009 11:55 pm

Blank

Last edited by Diaz on Tue Mar 30, 2010 10:16 pm; edited 1 time in total
    Wizz
    Wizz
    Nymph
    Nymph

Media Creating False Emotional Bonds With Their Topics Empty Re: Media Creating False Emotional Bonds With Their Topics

Post  Wizz Sun Oct 18, 2009 1:25 pm

I do think the media feeds public voyeurism. The Christchurch Press is particularly bad at it I think. On any given day this paper will have a huge photo of a grief-stricken person who has experienced personal tragedy on the front page.

The appetite for devouring other people's misfortune is there to be fed. It's hard to say who is responsible. We can blame the media for feeding what seems to be an unhealthy appetite but they can rightly respond that they lose viewers/readers if they don't feed it.

Personally, I look for balance. I find that I must search for news stories that are informative or amusing. I occasionally enjoy McDonalds but I generally have a healthy, balanced diet. I don't need to look far to find healthy, nutritious food when I need it. I expect to find sensible, balanced journalism just as easily.
    master5o1
    master5o1
    Cyclopes
    Cyclopes

Post  master5o1 Sun Oct 18, 2009 2:31 pm

tl;dr: People take things WAY TO FUCKING PERSONALLY!

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu May 02, 2024 9:54 pm