Tartarus

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Underworld Of Lightly (& Logically) Moderated Discussion & Debate

3 posters

Anyone who knows anything about linux *cough frup* I have questions.

superarmy
    superarmy
    Nymph
    Nymph

Anyone who knows anything about linux *cough frup* I have questions. Empty Anyone who knows anything about linux *cough frup* I have questions.

Post  superarmy Mon Oct 05, 2009 9:05 pm

How is 9.10 shaping up? I'm looking to fresh install my main ubuntu computer as it is so agonizingly slow. Also are there any other linux offsets worth looking into, mainly which act as a good server?
    master5o1
    master5o1
    Cyclopes
    Cyclopes

Anyone who knows anything about linux *cough frup* I have questions. Empty Re: Anyone who knows anything about linux *cough frup* I have questions.

Post  master5o1 Mon Oct 05, 2009 9:28 pm

Server? Depends what you're going to use it for.

9.10 is fine right. As for the server -- just install the desktop version and use mark-packages-by-task in synaptic to install server packages (or so)
    superarmy
    superarmy
    Nymph
    Nymph

Anyone who knows anything about linux *cough frup* I have questions. Empty Re: Anyone who knows anything about linux *cough frup* I have questions.

Post  superarmy Mon Oct 05, 2009 9:37 pm

What about linux alternatives?
    master5o1
    master5o1
    Cyclopes
    Cyclopes

Post  master5o1 Tue Oct 06, 2009 9:13 am

*BSD is a bitch to install, apparently.
    Most others aren't nearly as well supported as to be useful Neutral

Debian can support multiple kernels...
    superarmy
    superarmy
    Nymph
    Nymph

Post  superarmy Tue Oct 06, 2009 10:58 am

master5o1 wrote:*BSD is a bitch to install, apparently.
    Most others aren't nearly as well supported as to be useful Neutral

Debian can support multiple kernels...

Yes I've read all about that, but it seems godly fast, especially version 8. All I want it to do is run torrents fast and be able to run h264 mkv's well.
    superarmy
    superarmy
    Nymph
    Nymph

Post  superarmy Tue Oct 06, 2009 11:28 am

Might just go with Gentoo, FreeBSD sounds like days of work. Gentoo just sounds like hours.
    frup
    frup
    Nymph
    Nymph

Post  frup Tue Oct 06, 2009 9:54 pm

lol

gentoo takes days to configure and update

debian is ubuntu without the bloat, but it doesn't have all the drivers and codecs

fedora is like debian but RPM

mandriva or pclinuxos is almost like ubuntu is to debian to fedora

suse is ok but it smacks of MS.

Ubuntu 9.10 seems a bit like 8.10, I don't know whether it's worth the effort. they've changed the theme and it's even uglier (i don't mind the current one). It focuses mainly on adding cloud computing... all nonsense in my opinion.

I fell asleep.
    superarmy
    superarmy
    Nymph
    Nymph

Post  superarmy Wed Oct 07, 2009 6:02 pm

frup wrote:lol

debian is ubuntu without the bloat, but it doesn't have all the drivers and codecs

fedora is like debian but RPM

mandriva or pclinuxos is almost like ubuntu is to debian to fedora

suse is ok but it smacks of MS.

Ubuntu 9.10 seems a bit like 8.10, I don't know whether it's worth the effort. they've changed the theme and it's even uglier (i don't mind the current one). It focuses mainly on adding cloud computing... all nonsense in my opinion.

I fell asleep.

Gentoo is what I'm leaning towards at the moment, is it worth it for the long time to configure? it sounds super fast and relative to FreeBSD won't take as long or be as mind blowingly complex.
    master5o1
    master5o1
    Cyclopes
    Cyclopes

Post  master5o1 Wed Oct 07, 2009 10:27 pm

this is what happens when people complain about the colour scheme/theme -- it gets uglier Neutral

go try mint Neutral lolololol
    frup
    frup
    Nymph
    Nymph

Post  frup Thu Oct 08, 2009 12:57 am

superarmy wrote:
    frup wrote:lol

I fell asleep.

Gentoo is what I'm leaning towards at the moment, is it worth it for the long time to configure? it sounds super fast and relative to FreeBSD won't take as long or be as mind blowingly complex.

Ubuntu needs 512mb ram or 1gb ideally to be a good system
    A debian system can run on as little as 128mb ram... I think this is often what people talk about speed... conversely it could be considered lack of features by some.

Gentoo is actually configured to your individual machine... but all the dependency hell etc requires you to know quite a bit about what you are doing. The real speed bonus comes in that you selectively choose what you want on the system taking away "bloat"

A better option than Gentoo that seems to be really popular is Arch... or even give slackware a try, again not easy, you'll be reading documentation.

FreeBSD isn't fast. Some benchmarks I saw placed it slower than Ubuntu.

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Tue Apr 30, 2024 3:16 am