Tartarus

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Underworld Of Lightly (& Logically) Moderated Discussion & Debate

+12
Lynz
the distant one
Jesus Christ
Tikva
Summoner
Kissme
relict
Linno
Waireka
Psalter
ChelseaT
canterella
16 posters

Should Maori language be compulsory in school

Wizz
    Wizz
    Nymph
    Nymph

Should Maori language be compulsory in school - Page 2 Empty Re: Should Maori language be compulsory in school

Post  Wizz Tue Sep 22, 2009 11:04 am

Summoner wrote:I'll say no... just to represent the inbred "deliverance" rednecks.

Too right. Inbred rednecks have a language too. It's time it was recognised!

As an adult I have struggled to learn a modest amount of Te Reo and I have little confidence in my pronunciation. I really envy the generation who have learned it in school. I love the sound of it and I think it's a very sensible language. There are not too many consonants and the short and long vowel sound rules make a lot more sense than the ones we have for English. I think it would be great if we were all bilingual but I don't think the learning should be compulsory.

I agree with psalter that the learning should be implicit. I have a couple of students in my adult literacy class who are fluent Maori speakers. For Maori Language Week I got them to do some teaching and we talked about transliterations (apple/aporo) and the way that languages change over time. Comparisons are useful for making sense of language.

I have also recently learned some NZ sign language. Our tutor is deaf from birth and he's able to effectively teach a room full of hearing students. A deaf student in a class at high school could educate fellow students and their teacher by demonstrating signs that go with the learning. Te Reo could be incorporated in a similar way as it already is in primary education.

I believe that if Maori language were made a compulsory subject it may become as repugnant to students as Latin once was ( although in retrospect I wish I'd learned that too).

Current date/time is Fri May 17, 2024 5:54 pm