Tartarus

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Underworld Of Lightly (& Logically) Moderated Discussion & Debate

+2
____
Allan
6 posters

Mind Body Health

Allan
    Allan
    Nymph
    Nymph

Mind Body Health Empty Mind Body Health

Post  Allan Tue Apr 20, 2010 7:44 pm

Some of you might have seen my thread on SC about doing a training course through work and part of it was about this mysterious thing called an Enneagram. Well had day 3 of the course yesterday and we are now moving into quantum physics/mechanics etc. Basically the body been made up of little cells of energy that can be influenced by thought, both yours and others. We only spent a bit of time on it and have been encouraged to do some homework over the next couple of weeks before we meet again.

Know Im pretty sure there's a couple of members on here who would have an opinion on such things, does anyone believe this stuff?

We are also covering 'law of attraction' stuff etc

Names like Deepak Chopra are been thrown around, cant remember some others.
    ____
    ____
    Nymph
    Nymph

Mind Body Health Empty Re: Mind Body Health

Post  ____ Tue Apr 20, 2010 8:02 pm

Yeah it's all bullshit. Sounds like it's based on a rubbish new-age movie called "What the "£$£$(&* do we know" that came out a few years ago.

Deepak Chopra is himself a fucking charlatan, and I'd love to know what company you work for, because I'd be wary about being the customer of a business that is so easily taken in by rubbish like that Cool
    Allan
    Allan
    Nymph
    Nymph

Post  Allan Tue Apr 20, 2010 8:24 pm

The course is kinda broken up between about 50% 'normal' stuff - leadership skills, communication etc etc and about 50% is made up of this kind of stuff.

Kinda weird but hey what the fuck do I care, get to fly to brizzy and get on the piss and eat free steaks. werd.
    ____
    ____
    Nymph
    Nymph

Post  ____ Tue Apr 20, 2010 9:02 pm

Allan wrote:The course is kinda broken up between about 50% 'normal' stuff - leadership skills, communication etc etc and about 50% is made up of this kind of stuff.

Kinda weird but hey what the fuck do I care, get to fly to brizzy and get on the piss and eat free steaks. werd.

Pizza wasn't enough for Supermamma to get me to attend a church, booze and steaks wouldn't be enough for me to attend such absolute bollocks.
    Allan
    Allan
    Nymph
    Nymph

Post  Allan Tue Apr 20, 2010 9:24 pm

bullseye wrote:Whether the proponants of such courses are charlatans, a lot of the information you're getting can be quite useful. Using common sense to sort the chaff from the wheat is the best approach.

Just remember, run a mile when they ask you to do 'affirmations'.

Too Late, affirmations have already been tabled.

What's so bad with affirmations anyway?
    Allan
    Allan
    Nymph
    Nymph

Post  Allan Tue Apr 20, 2010 9:32 pm

____ wrote:
    Allan wrote:The course is kinda broken up between about 50% 'normal' stuff - leadership skills, communication etc etc and about 50% is made up of this kind of stuff.

Pizza wasn't enough for Supermamma to get me to attend a church, booze and steaks wouldn't be enough for me to attend such absolute bollocks.

you lie! what if a chick was thrown in.

besides, you would probably enjoy debating with the trainer.

You may be able to help me, the trainer mentioned something about electron microscopes been able to view cells? at a sub-atomic? level and been able to bascially see raw energy, though depending on the researching viewing it the behaviours of the cells/energy would change (due to that persons thoughts etc). Trying to read more about this but I think I have probably got the terminology wrong.
    ____
    ____
    Nymph
    Nymph

Post  ____ Tue Apr 20, 2010 9:50 pm

Allan wrote:
    ____ wrote:

you lie! what if a chick was thrown in.

besides, you would probably enjoy debating with the trainer.

You may be able to help me, the trainer mentioned something about electron microscopes been able to view cells? at a sub-atomic? level and been able to bascially see raw energy, though depending on the researching viewing it the behaviours of the cells/energy would change (due to that persons thoughts etc). Trying to read more about this but I think I have probably got the terminology wrong.

Sounds like some bullshit research done by a japanese "scientist" years ago about how if you send positive thoughts to a glass of water, then freeze it, the ice crystals will align in a fashion that is attractive, and vice versa.

Tis rubbish, look up the Apple experiment by Rebecca Watson on Youtube, she deals with it hilariously. Don't remember the guys name.

And I went to Parashite for a chick, couldn't get me there again no matter how much pussy is on offer. Well that's entirely untrue, but I said it anyway.
    Psalter
    Psalter
    River-God
    River-God

Post  Psalter Tue Apr 20, 2010 10:08 pm

____ wrote:Sounds like some bullshit research done by a japanese "scientist" years ago about how if you send positive thoughts to a glass of water, then freeze it, the ice crystals will align in a fashion that is attractive, and vice versa.

Tis rubbish, look up the Apple experiment by Rebecca Watson on Youtube, she deals with it hilariously. Don't remember the guys name.

And I went to Parashite for a chick, couldn't get me there again no matter how much pussy is on offer. Well that's entirely untrue, but I said it anyway.

Parachute isn't bad... I went twice, there was some good music that had Christian messages.

It's a huge event with many people having a good time.

What's wrong with that?
    Summoner
    Summoner
    Nymph
    Nymph

Post  Summoner Tue Apr 20, 2010 10:36 pm

My mate got laid at parachute... everytime he went.

I have never been... I doubt I ever will though anyway.
    Allan
    Allan
    Nymph
    Nymph

Post  Allan Tue Apr 20, 2010 11:09 pm

bullseye wrote:Laughing I know people who use them. One of them is ok, the other is a complete cow.
    I also remember "Think and Grow Rich". Can't recall who wrote it though.
    I've never read such tripe. It's all about convincing yourself that you are already a success, thereby facilitating success. Daily affirmations of that were a big part of it.

To my way of thinking, if you haven't already convinced anyone else of your potential, that kind of self confidence cannot be self taught. It might seem defeatist, but you really do need to find a mentor. Even if only to learn how to put yourself across.

so you know two people who use affirmations and ones ok and ones a cow, so therefore affirmations are crap? hmm interesting logic.

I have no problems with affirmations. They are just thoughts, everybody thinks right? and if you don't believe the way that you 'think' has any bearing on your personality and actions then I would be interested in why you think that way.

Re 'Think and Grow Rich' is written by Napoleon Hill, I've read it years ago and it's still think it's good book. It's funny, you say that book is 'tripe' yet then go onto say people should get a mentor. From my recall that book also highly pushes mentors and building circles of influence.

Last edited by Allan on Tue Apr 20, 2010 11:16 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : marks screwed quote)
    ____
    ____
    Nymph
    Nymph

Post  ____ Wed Apr 21, 2010 8:21 am

Psalter wrote: music that had Christian messages.

What's wrong with that?

music that had Christian messages.
    Allan
    Allan
    Nymph
    Nymph

Post  Allan Wed Apr 21, 2010 9:03 am

bullseye wrote:Seems I don't remember Hill's book as well as I thought.

It's not self affirmation that inspires me. If it works for some, great. But I have found that most of those who use affirmations turn into ruthless, scheming back stabbers. One was an outright crook who talked himself into believing it was ok to lie about your product even to the expense of your employer. The two I spoke of earlier are more recent. Rick was always going to be a decent person simply because he was raised that way and his first daily affirmation was self written.
    "I'm going to have a great day and help make someone else's day great too", or something like that. Others applied only to how he felt about himself.
    Michelle, on the other hand, was more like "I don't mind having to push people over to get where I want to go".

I guess it all depends on how you use them. I don't happen to think they work for everyone. Definately write your own.

Am I rambling? Sorry - not quite awake yet.

Affirmations - I don't use them, but I think I should, maybe I will write my own or just use something else. I not all 'new age', though I do believe thought does have huge control over our lives. Waking up in the morning grumbling and saying/thinking "another shit day, I am not good at anything, there is no work out there for me, I am such a fucking loser", what kind of day do you think that person is likely to have? negative thought is very common and powerful and is generally accepted by society. Though it's very easy to suggest positive thought is just 'airy fairy' nonsense and can have no bearing on our lives.
    the distant one
    the distant one
    Nymph
    Nymph

Post  the distant one Wed Apr 21, 2010 10:02 am

1st year health science we did abit of study on th whole positive thought positive life kind of mantra.... I'll see what I can find alter on today.

I have to say I agree with the thinking personally... just from personal observation alone those that always look for the negative in something are always gona be in a shittier frame of mind which is most of the time going to lead to negative results.
    Anjewel
    Anjewel
    Nymph
    Nymph

Post  Anjewel Wed Apr 21, 2010 11:07 am

Affirmations - I don't use them, but I think I should, maybe I will write my own or just use something else. I not all 'new age', though I do believe thought does have huge control over our lives. Waking up in the morning grumbling and saying/thinking "another shit day, I am not good at anything, there is no work out there for me, I am such a fucking loser", what kind of day do you think that person is likely to have? negative thought is very common and powerful and is generally accepted by society. Though it's very easy to suggest positive thought is just 'airy fairy' nonsense and can have no bearing on our lives.

Nothing wrong with affirmations..I go to work affirming I am going to have a fabulous day, everything is going to run smoothly, noone is going to piss me off, and it works for me...I have a few workmates who come into work, tell me that the day is going to be shit, and they have only just walked in the door, and straight away they have set that thought up, and their day really is shit, then they want to know how come I don't have shit days at work..

On the other hand I have had the odd thought, driving in to work that I don't want to be there, everything will probably turn to crap, and it usually does...

Affirmations shouldn't be thought of as new age stuff..Affirmations are an everyday part of life, being they are thoughts you create, negative or positive..

My mother came to NZ poor, but educated, at the age of 19, and always affirmed to herself that she would be wealthy, and never want for anything..It has worked for her, and is still working...
    Allan
    Allan
    Nymph
    Nymph

Post  Allan Wed Apr 21, 2010 11:56 am

Anjewel wrote:

Nothing wrong with affirmations..I go to work affirming I am going to have a fabulous day, everything is going to run smoothly, noone is going to piss me off, and it works for me...I have a few workmates who come into work, tell me that the day is going to be shit, and they have only just walked in the door, and straight away they have set that thought up, and their day really is shit, then they want to know how come I don't have shit days at work..

On the other hand I have had the odd thought, driving in to work that I don't want to be there, everything will probably turn to crap, and it usually does...

Affirmations shouldn't be thought of as new age stuff.Affirmations are an everyday part of life, being they are thoughts you create, negative or positive..

My mother came to NZ poor, but educated, at the age of 19, and always affirmed to herself that she would be wealthy, and never want for anything..It has worked for her, and is still working...

Yeah, I hear that. Been in the same kind of workplaces and have at times allowed myself to think like that also.

Know someone who is very much like that, "my job sucks, works going to be shit, everyone at work are idiots etc etc" and they always came home in a bad mood bitching about what a shit day they had, their bosses sucked, they needed a new job etc. Of course when they found a new job things were exactly the same as it's not the job, but their own attitude.

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri May 03, 2024 4:51 am