Tartarus

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Underworld Of Lightly (& Logically) Moderated Discussion & Debate

+5
relict
Anjewel
Psalter
superarmy
Waireka
9 posters

Mining in conservation land

Poll

Which should prevail in this case? Please read article.

[ 7 ]
    Mining in conservation land Bar_left58%Mining in conservation land Bar_right [58%] 
    [ 5 ]
    Mining in conservation land Bar_left42%Mining in conservation land Bar_right [42%] 

Total Votes: 12
    Waireka
    Waireka
    River-God
    River-God

Mining in conservation land Empty Mining in conservation land

Post  Waireka Mon Mar 22, 2010 6:47 pm

The Government is proposing opening up more than 7000 hectares of conservation land to mining.

The land includes some areas in the Coromandel Peninsula, and the Inangahua sector of Paparoa National Park.

The proposal has just been released by Energy and Resources Minister Gerry Brownlee and Conservation Minister Kate Wilkinson.

Read more...
    superarmy
    superarmy
    Nymph
    Nymph

Mining in conservation land Empty Re: Mining in conservation land

Post  superarmy Mon Mar 22, 2010 6:57 pm

I'm okay with it for now. The government seems to be taking a slow and sensible approach to this.
    Waireka
    Waireka
    River-God
    River-God

Post  Waireka Mon Mar 22, 2010 8:19 pm

I don't care if it's mined, I do care if NZ reaps little financial gain from it (in scale with the potential profits) and I do care if they import workers to operate the mine (like they did in Martha Mine).

If there's significant benefits to NZ as a result, then I'm all for it.
    Psalter
    Psalter
    River-God
    River-God

Post  Psalter Mon Mar 22, 2010 8:45 pm

Conservation... knee-jerk reaction, but I am happy doing that on occasion.
    Anjewel
    Anjewel
    Nymph
    Nymph

Post  Anjewel Tue Mar 23, 2010 4:35 pm

I'm pretty much with Wai on this...Would hate to see some overseas company come in and take everything over...
    relict
    relict
    River-God
    River-God

Post  relict Tue Mar 23, 2010 8:44 pm

"It's only a small amount of land" is not a good argument in my opinion. It sets a precedent, and makes it easier to ask for a wee bit more. Those billions sound like a lot of money, but they are quickly gone up in smoke ... in the case of the coal deposits - literally! The money will be gone years before the land even begins to recover much. It makes a mockery of 'conservation' to be able to change one's mind about its status. Sure, people are more important than trees etc in one sense, and money can help people, but in reality, only the sustainable generation of money helps people in the long run.

Already we have too little 'conservation' land in that we have isolated pockets of saved land which doesn't allow for things such as kiwi migration, etc. We need more not less.
    ____
    ____
    Nymph
    Nymph

Post  ____ Tue Mar 23, 2010 8:58 pm

relict wrote:Already we have too little 'conservation' land in that we have isolated pockets of saved land which doesn't allow for things such as kiwi migration, etc. We need more not less.

Too little?

Mining in conservation land Attachment
    superarmy
    superarmy
    Nymph
    Nymph

Post  superarmy Tue Mar 23, 2010 9:21 pm

____ wrote:
    relict wrote:Already we have too little 'conservation' land in that we have isolated pockets of saved land which doesn't allow for things such as kiwi migration, etc. We need more not less.

Too little?

Mining in conservation land Attachment

Ha, suck it Sweden
    woody67
    woody67
    Nymph
    Nymph

Post  woody67 Wed Mar 24, 2010 12:28 am

Conservation gets my vote ...lets capitilse even more on our international branding ...we make billions as is and we can sure as hell make billions more....point in case the caving discovery just recently...Dase 2...A close personal friend runs the ONLY skydive tandem/freefall/any other freaky skydive jump you care to mention school in the world! there are students pouring in from everywhere and this school places them in full time employment all over the world
    I have spoken with these junkies and NZ to them is the adventure capital of the world.

They pay upwards of twenty thousand to come here, that doesn't include the economic boost to the methven community who get to accomadate these students ..nor their disposable income for local entertainment..I fucking HATE the idea of mining.
    ____
    ____
    Nymph
    Nymph

Post  ____ Wed Mar 24, 2010 2:39 am

woody67 wrote:Conservation gets my vote ...lets capitilse even more on our international branding ...we make billions as is and we can sure as hell make billions more....point in case the caving discovery just recently...Dase 2...A close personal friend runs the ONLY skydive tandem/freefall/any other freaky skydive jump you care to mention school in the world! there are students pouring in from everywhere and this school places them in full time employment all over the world
    I have spoken with these junkies and NZ to them is the adventure capital of the world.

They pay upwards of twenty thousand to come here, that doesn't include the economic boost to the methven community who get to accomadate these students ..nor their disposable income for local entertainment..I fucking HATE the idea of mining.

How much are they worth to NZ once they've gotten their training and left?
    Psalter
    Psalter
    River-God
    River-God

Post  Psalter Wed Mar 24, 2010 7:40 am

Heaps in word-of mouth advertising?
    ____
    ____
    Nymph
    Nymph

Post  ____ Wed Mar 24, 2010 10:24 am

Psalter wrote:

Heaps in word-of mouth advertising?

Perhaps, but I don't know that you can really compare potential future money generated through word of mouth advertising from what can hardly be a substantial people coming through and training in skydiving or something (And I'm well aware that there are other adventure sport industries that NZ could potentially be considered a leader in) to the tangible income derived from endeavours like mining.

And to be honest, I don't see why we're all upset that it's "Conservation" land. Not all protected land is lush native forest. A lot of it is just scrub that has been handed over to DOC because there's nothing else you can do with it.
    Donkeycheese
    Donkeycheese
    Nymph
    Nymph

Post  Donkeycheese Wed Mar 24, 2010 10:51 am

I say continue with the development of green-mining - once we have raped the soil, but kept it pretty, we can then export the technology overseas. The germans will gobble it up like a peeing lesbian!!
    Lynz
    Lynz
    Nymph
    Nymph

Post  Lynz Wed Mar 24, 2010 12:33 pm

Stupid move for short term gain. New Zealand's number one export earner is New Zealand. Our clean and green image. Now fine, we all know that in some respects it is an illusion. But you don't shit in your own nest. It is the perception that counts. And The Economist has not been slow to slate us for our hypocrisy.

Now it may seem somewhat two-faced of me to argue this line, I am after all employed by KiwiRail to unload coal trains at Lyttelton. But needs must. And I do not advocate a total moratorium on mining. Or not harvesting of our natural resources in a responsible way.

But at least as far as coal is concerned, the great majority of it is done by Solid Energy. A Government SOE. Which means all of the profits are returned to the owners. Us. This will not be the case with the Minister's proposals. We will get 1% royalties. And the jobs are bullshit. Modern mining is virtually entirely mechanised. And mining companies are allowed to depreciate it off up front.

We should preserve what we have. And sell it to the World. Because Tourism can be forever.

It is so much for National being Labour-lite. Their true colours are showing.

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu May 02, 2024 1:15 pm