Tartarus

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Underworld Of Lightly (& Logically) Moderated Discussion & Debate

3 posters

Kitten killer

canterella
    canterella
    Nymph
    Nymph

Kitten killer Empty Kitten killer

Post  canterella Tue Jan 26, 2010 3:15 pm

I haven't seen such an over the top reaction from the public to this sick deed in a long time, some are seeking death penalty for the guy. I guess if that sicko fed human babies to his dog there wouldn't be such an outcry.
    In no way I am condoning this vile act, but hey after all these kittens would one day grow up to kill our endangered native birds and foul up our vegie gardens. Smile
    I am a cat owner jsut in case you were wondering, and he is a bloody useless pet. But at least he cannot reproduce any more.
    relict
    relict
    River-God
    River-God

Kitten killer Empty Re: Kitten killer

Post  relict Tue Jan 26, 2010 6:19 pm

I agree with you.

A little perspective is required.

It reminds me of a video once referenced in SC that I watched, with difficulty, about the cruel treatment of dogs, etc in some third world countries where they were killed 'non-ideally' for profit (pelts, meat, etc). I read many of the comments below where the video was posted where people were in outrage, and calling for the people in the video to be tortured because of what they were doing.

I posted a comment that although I was very saddened by the treatment, and I agreed that a change was definitely needed, torturing the perpetrators would not help. They were trying to earn a small portion of a living wage for their families, and what was needed was a cultural shift that included education about viable alternatives.

People then directed their rage towards me and my post, and within a few minutes my unwelcome, though polite, post was deleted! They'd rather children starve in squalor, apparently, than re-educate adults who've been brought up with different animal treatment standards than we have.

We, in the first world, are not such a great deal better, though. Seen 'Food Inc'? The large-scale industrialisation of agriculture has resulted in inhumane treatment of farmed animals, and slavery-like conditions for workers, for the sake of big profit, rather than for the sake of human survival as portrayed in the video first mentioned.
    relict
    relict
    River-God
    River-God

Post  relict Tue Jan 26, 2010 6:26 pm

relict wrote:We, in the first world, are not such a great deal better, though. Seen 'Food Inc'? The large-scale industrialisation of agriculture has resulted in inhumane treatment of farmed animals, and slavery-like conditions for workers, for the sake of big profit, rather than for the sake of human survival as portrayed in the video first mentioned.

In defense of NZ farmers and meatworkers, we do things on a smaller scale (and in a different political and economic climate), so our animals (and workers) on average would be treated better than those in America.

In defense of America, I recognise there are some exceptions there, where a few smaller farms do things better.
    Wizz
    Wizz
    Nymph
    Nymph

Post  Wizz Wed Jan 27, 2010 7:46 pm

The SPCA bin at the supermarket always appears to have many donations of good quality pet food in it while the City Mission one nearby has a couple of packets of generic brand instant noodles.

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri May 17, 2024 6:54 pm