Tartarus

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Underworld Of Lightly (& Logically) Moderated Discussion & Debate

+2
Waireka
canterella
6 posters

For once I agree with what Judith Collins says

canterella
    canterella
    Nymph
    Nymph

For once I agree with what Judith Collins says Empty For once I agree with what Judith Collins says

Post  canterella Mon Sep 14, 2009 9:54 am

About the Undie 500 riots:

"They are rich little white kids. The event should be canceled".

At the risk of sounding like a bitter old grump, I totally agree with Jude on this one. I have nothing against students getting plastered and falling over in pubs and on the streets but when they start getting aggro, vandalising private property and get into fights with cops, I'm sorry but that is criminal behaviour. If these were your ordinary Maori or Polynesian kid in South Auckland creating mayhem in the streets, they would be dealt with very quickly and swiftly and get a conviction which would hang over their head for life. But these Otago rioters are our middle class brats studying to become lawyers and doctors etc, they are our country's future leaders (god save us!) so please go easy on them?
    Well it's time for the spoiled brats to learn what are the consequences of their moronic actions and to be tried like anyone else in our justice system.
    Waireka
    Waireka
    River-God
    River-God

For once I agree with what Judith Collins says Empty Re: For once I agree with what Judith Collins says

Post  Waireka Mon Sep 14, 2009 10:39 am

canterella wrote:About the Undie 500 riots:

"They are rich little white kids. The event should be canceled".

At the risk of sounding like a bitter old grump, I totally agree with Jude on this one. I have nothing against students getting plastered and falling over in pubs and on the streets but when they start getting aggro, vandalising private property and get into fights with cops, I'm sorry but that is criminal behaviour. If these were your ordinary Maori or Polynesian kid in South Auckland creating mayhem in the streets, they would be dealt with very quickly and swiftly and get a conviction which would hang over their head for life. But these Otago rioters are our middle class brats studying to become lawyers and doctors etc, they are our country's future leaders (god save us!) so please go easy on them?
    Well it's time for the spoiled brats to learn what are the consequences of their moronic actions and to be tried like anyone else in our justice system.

Commit a crime, be dealt with like a criminal.

I think it's bullshit what they've been getting away with, this year can be the year for change. Make an example of them.
    Waireka
    Waireka
    River-God
    River-God

For once I agree with what Judith Collins says Empty Re: For once I agree with what Judith Collins says

Post  Waireka Mon Sep 14, 2009 11:08 am

TAKEN FROM STUFF

Ex-CastleST-Resident #110 6 min ago
    "About 90 percent of those arrested were Otago University students." "But about 80 per cent of those arrested this year mostly for disorderly behaviour, liquor-ban breaches and obstruction were from Otago University, police said." Ummm okay....

So there were about 100 Otago Uni students arrested, so out of the 16000 or so Otago Uni students... approx 0.625% got arrested and now we're all good-for-nothing party animals who don't deserve our degrees? Thanks.

Exactly why these students should be made an example of, the actions of a minority is reflecting negatively on the majority of students attending Otago.

When I was in High School, I was involved in the redesign of our school uniforms. Our aim was to make a uniform that was difficult to wear incorrectly and had great aesthetics.

We chose a blouse that was to be worn untucked, a 3/4 skirt and a blazer.

The resulted in our students being seen around outside of school looking nice. Puting the idea into the communities mind that we were well presented, nice girls, making the community look more favourably upon us as a whole, therefore more likely to hire us in the future.

When your actions reflect negatively on any institute you represent, you do your peers a huge dis-service (sp?).

Another question, would you send your children to Otago if other Uni's offered the same courses at the same level? I'm sure some New Zealand parents are changing their mind about where they want their children to be students now, which is unfair as Otago is probably a great University and Dunedin a great city to be a student in.

I don't think the Undie should be banned. I think there should be an event organised by the organisers and that anyone who is out of line behaviour wise, should be made an example of.
    canterella
    canterella
    Nymph
    Nymph

Post  canterella Mon Sep 14, 2009 11:51 am

Sadly the event has been hijacked by louts who go out to cause trouble, and their behaviour has tarnished the reputation of the whole event. What I'd like to know, is the event about getting those old cars pimped up and having fun or is it just a good excuse for most to get totally off their face and cause all the trouble that comes from it?
    I don't know, it seems that every year it's getting worse and it'll continue until those morons realise that there's a price to pay for violent behaviour and vandalism. They are adults and should be treated as such.
    Would I want my kids to go Otago to study? I don't know, we have enough study facilities here in Auckland, I guess it would be their choice where to go anyway for they are the ones who will have to repay their student loans.
    Waireka
    Waireka
    River-God
    River-God

Post  Waireka Mon Sep 14, 2009 11:53 am

canterella wrote:Sadly the event has been hijacked by louts who go out to cause trouble, and their behaviour has tarnished the reputation of the whole event. What I'd like to know, is the event about getting those old cars pimped up and having fun or is it just a good excuse for most to get totally off their face and cause all the trouble that comes from it?
    I don't know, it seems that every year it's getting worse and it'll continue until those morons realise that there's a price to pay for violent behaviour and vandalism. They are adults and should be treated as such.
    Would I want my kids to go Otago to study? I don't know, we have enough study facilities here in Auckland, I guess it would be their choice where to go anyway for they are the ones who will have to repay their student loans.

My brother was supposed to go to Otago as it had the courses he wanted to do, but he ended up at Vic, because then he could live at home while studying.

This suprised me, he's very independent and has lived in the South Island on his own. Guess the $'s decided it though.
    Diaz
    Nymph
    Nymph

Post  Diaz Mon Sep 14, 2009 2:51 pm

Blank

Last edited by Diaz on Tue Mar 30, 2010 10:52 pm; edited 1 time in total
    meandmybum
    meandmybum
    Giant
    Giant

Post  meandmybum Mon Sep 14, 2009 4:58 pm

i totally disagree
    if this had of been a mongrel mob convention
    the cops would have gone out of their way to
    prosecute as few as possible so they could say they had it under control
    when have you ever heard of the cops threatening any non white group with no diversion if any however minor they are charges are laid
    that will never happen in nz
    we seem to think its not right to go after real criminals
    we must just keep harrassing everyone in te hope we might catch a small percentage of the worst people
    Kissme
    Kissme
    Mortal
    Mortal

Post  Kissme Mon Sep 14, 2009 6:09 pm

Organisers tried to put on a concert but were told no by the DCC. Personally I think the DCC and its useless fuckwit of a mayor are crap, but that's just me.

They need to make examples of those students who were arrested and exclude them from the university. Otago University has a code of conduct which allows for such a thing to happen to any student who brings the university into disrepute.
    relict
    relict
    River-God
    River-God

Post  relict Mon Sep 14, 2009 6:43 pm

In the light of previous discussion about whether 18 year olds should be able to vote, it also fits that they have the ability to reason cause and effect with respect to illegal behaviour. While they do have the ability, if they lack the inclination, then that is entirely their own choice, and to protect them from the usual consequences of said illegal behaviour, is in my opinion, not constructive.

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Wed May 08, 2024 7:06 pm