Tartarus

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Underworld Of Lightly (& Logically) Moderated Discussion & Debate

3 posters

David Bain's Compensation

Jesus Christ
    Jesus Christ
    Nymph
    Nymph

David Bain's Compensation Empty David Bain's Compensation

Post  Jesus Christ Mon Jun 08, 2009 2:37 pm

Am I the only one who finds it appalling that we have a justice system that operates upon the presumption that someone is innocent until proven guilty, and yet someone has to adequately prove their innocence to get compensation for a miscarriage of justice?

I can't see the justification, personally.

EDIT: Almost completely unrelated, did anyone see John Key on Breakfast this morning? "Speaking of winners, my son picked out my tie this morning" - What the hell? What on earth was that? Where did that come from? I was a little taken aback. I doubt anyone will quite know what I mean unless they saw it.
    relict
    relict
    River-God
    River-God

David Bain's Compensation Empty Re: David Bain's Compensation

Post  relict Mon Jun 08, 2009 6:48 pm

Jesus Christ wrote:Am I the only one who finds it appalling that we have a justice system that operates upon the presumption that someone is innocent until proven guilty, and yet someone has to adequately prove their innocence to get compensation for a miscarriage of justice?

I think there should be different levels of compensation, depending on whether one's innocence is proved or not. I think there should be a small amount of compensation for David Bain, in recognition of the evidence that may have proved his innocence (if he is innocent) not being preserved and some defense points being disallowed at the first trial.

I don't think he should get the full amount of compensation while there is a chance that he is guilty.
    canterella
    canterella
    Nymph
    Nymph

Post  canterella Mon Jun 08, 2009 7:48 pm

Jesus Christ wrote:Am I the only one who finds it appalling that we have a justice system that operates upon the presumption that someone is innocent until proven guilty, and yet someone has to adequately prove their innocence to get compensation for a miscarriage of justice?

I can't see the justification, personally.

EDIT: Almost completely unrelated, did anyone see John Key on Breakfast this morning? "Speaking of winners, my son picked out my tie this morning" - What the hell? What on earth was that? Where did that come from? I was a little taken aback. I doubt anyone will quite know what I mean unless they saw it.

In relation to compo - if you apply your logic, then Christ Kahui could ask for compensation too even though he spent a short time in prison.

I didn't see the John Key incident this morning but I suppose that he was high on cold medicine What a Face

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu May 09, 2024 12:18 am