Tartarus

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Underworld Of Lightly (& Logically) Moderated Discussion & Debate

4 posters

Mum flees with son to avoid chemotherapy

canterella
    canterella
    Nymph
    Nymph

Mum flees with son to avoid chemotherapy Empty Mum flees with son to avoid chemotherapy

Post  canterella Fri May 22, 2009 12:29 pm

Police across the United States were on the lookout yesterday for a mother and son who fled their home in Minnesota to elude court-ordered chemotherapy for the boy, who has been diagnosed with Hodgkin's lymphoma.

An arrest warrant for Colleen Hauser was issued after she failed to appear for a court hearing on the condition of 13-year-old Daniel.

Her husband told the judge she disappeared with Daniel the previous evening and he did not know where they were.

On Tuesday, Hauser took her son to their family doctor who said that a court-ordered x-ray had shown his tumour was growing and needed urgent treatment. While Hodgkin's lymphoma is a serious condition, it is often effectively tackled with chemotherapy.

The family have been declining the treatment for the teenager for religious reasons. They subscribe to the teachings of the Nemenhah Band, a group that believes in natural alternatives to modern medicine.

"I know many people who have had cancer, they did chemo, it would come back," Anthony Hauser, the boy's father, told the Star Tribune of Minneapolis yesterday. "They did the chemo again and again and they are all in the grave. Chemo isn't foolproof."

He acknowledged he was disappointed by his wife's actions, saying they had agreed to appear in court together on Wednesday.

In testimony, the boy, who has learning disabilities, said if anyone tried to make him undergo chemotherapy, "I'd fight it. I'd punch them and I'd kick them."

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/world/news/article.cfm?c_id=2&objectid=10573746

this is o wrong on so many levels No
    Diaz
    Nymph
    Nymph

Mum flees with son to avoid chemotherapy Empty Re: Mum flees with son to avoid chemotherapy

Post  Diaz Fri May 22, 2009 3:02 pm

Blank

Last edited by Diaz on Tue Mar 30, 2010 9:43 pm; edited 1 time in total
    master5o1
    master5o1
    Cyclopes
    Cyclopes

Mum flees with son to avoid chemotherapy Empty Re: Mum flees with son to avoid chemotherapy

Post  master5o1 Sat May 23, 2009 10:47 pm

Diaz wrote:Great, another Liam Williams-Holloway in the making. We all know medicine isn't perfect, but in the case of an 80%+ cure rate (his type of cancer is very responsive to proper treatment) vs a quack claiming to treat imaginary parasites or realign his energy or something medicine wins hands down. Alternative treatment for cancer is effectively no treatment for cancer, and believe me dying of untreated cancer is a horrible way to die.

As Patrick Swayze said recently: "If anybody had that cure out there, like so many people swear they do, you'd be two things. You'd be very rich, and you'd be very famous. Otherwise, shut up."

I've been following this off and on via a medical blog I read, the boy is home schooled and is illiterate and the court ruled as it did because he clearly did not understand at all what the issues were and that he would be effectively sealing his death warrant. Even if he did understand the issues, the lies claims of alternative cures don't stand for evidence and this makes it impossible for his parents and him to make a fully informed decision because they are not weighing two known quantities. An court ordered X-ray showed the cancer had grown considerably just before they skipped. He had one cycle of chemo, but the delay and missed treatments caused by refusal means it won't be enough.

It's also important to note the Nemenhah Band is a fake religion.

www.whatstheharm.net

I DONT BELIEVE YOU!
    Diaz
    Nymph
    Nymph

Post  Diaz Mon May 25, 2009 10:27 am

Blank

master5o1
    master5o1
    Cyclopes
    Cyclopes

Post  master5o1 Mon May 25, 2009 11:10 am

I refuse to do such a thing. You should be able to convince me that your view is fact using only one word (whether it is a made up word or not).
    Waireka
    Waireka
    River-God
    River-God

Post  Waireka Mon May 25, 2009 8:54 pm

master5o1 wrote:I refuse to do such a thing. You should be able to convince me that your view is fact using only one word (whether it is a made up word or not).

For goodness sakes... SHUT UP!
    master5o1
    master5o1
    Cyclopes
    Cyclopes

Post  master5o1 Mon May 25, 2009 9:15 pm

Waireka wrote:
    master5o1 wrote:I refuse to do such a thing. You should be able to convince me that your view is fact using only one word (whether it is a made up word or not).

For goodness sakes... SHUT UP!

That was more than one word.
    Diaz
    Nymph
    Nymph

Post  Diaz Thu May 28, 2009 10:56 pm

Blank

master5o1
    master5o1
    Cyclopes
    Cyclopes

Post  master5o1 Thu May 28, 2009 11:08 pm

Diaz wrote:He's back, from what I could glean they were trying to skip over the border to Mexico and didn't make it, their lawyer seemed to be involved somehow.

Wednesday, May 27, 2009

Parents agree boy can get treatment

The parents of a Minnesota boy who refused chemotherapy for his cancer told a judge Tuesday they now agree to the medical treatment, and the judge ruled their son can stay with them. Daniel Hauser, 13, has Hodgkin’s lymphoma. He and his mother missed a court appearance last week and left the state to avoid chemotherapy and seek alternative treatments. They returned Monday. Colleen and Anthony Hauser told a Brown County District judge they now understand their son needs chemotherapy. Daniel is scheduled for a round of chemotherapy Thursday.

http://www.ajc.com/services/content/printedition/2009/05/27/nation0527.html

This one below was interesting too:

Cancer death rate continues decline

The U.S. cancer death rate fell again in 2006, a new analysis shows, continuing a slow downward trend that experts attribute to declines in smoking, earlier detection and better treatment.

Review of some other cases: Parents clash with state, kids in medical decisions: http://edition.cnn.com/2009/HEALTH/05/27/parents.medical.custody/

I think you are in dire need of a drink of soup.
    Diaz
    Nymph
    Nymph

Post  Diaz Fri May 29, 2009 1:36 pm

Blank

Last edited by Diaz on Tue Mar 30, 2010 9:44 pm; edited 1 time in total
    master5o1
    master5o1
    Cyclopes
    Cyclopes

Post  master5o1 Fri May 29, 2009 5:17 pm

Diaz wrote:Chicken of course..... Very Happy

No, beef or lamb?

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Mon May 20, 2024 8:37 am