Tartarus

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Underworld Of Lightly (& Logically) Moderated Discussion & Debate

+8
83T'na
Sassydot
Waireka
the distant one
ydekm
izzi
Psalter
ChelseaT
12 posters

Tax payer funded medical treatment

Sassydot
    Sassydot
    Nymph
    Nymph

Tax payer funded medical treatment - Page 3 Empty Re: Tax payer funded medical treatment

Post  Sassydot Mon Jun 14, 2010 12:16 pm

What if the incest was consensual?

What if the female was raped by a current partner (as is often the case). How can we know exactly which intercourse event resulted in the pregnancy?

A policy such as "rape or incest only" would only see more false accusations, in order for those girls to get their abortions.

... and yet another unwanted child suffers.
    83T'na
    83T'na
    Nymph
    Nymph

Tax payer funded medical treatment - Page 3 Empty Re: Tax payer funded medical treatment

Post  83T'na Mon Jun 14, 2010 12:18 pm

Sassydot wrote:What if the incest was consensual?

What if the female was raped by a current partner (as is often the case). How can we know exactly which intercourse event resulted in the pregnancy?

A policy such as "rape or incest only" would only see more false accusations, in order for those girls to get their abortions.

... and yet another unwanted child suffers.

Yes. And back room butchers would proliforate(sp?) again.

Shit happens - get over it.
    ChelseaT
    ChelseaT
    Nymph
    Nymph

Post  ChelseaT Mon Jun 14, 2010 12:19 pm

I would like to add, that had abortions been more readily available in the late 80s, I would not exist.

I am certainly not suffering, and I am definitely wanted.
    Sassydot
    Sassydot
    Nymph
    Nymph

Post  Sassydot Mon Jun 14, 2010 12:21 pm

So, therefore, an unwanted pregnancy under your policy WOULD result in a threat to the life of the mother, as she would be unable to seek a safe termination, and would then to to a "back room butcher" thus endangering her life - and thus would be able to seek a safe termination.

Rolling Eyes
    ydekm
    Nymph
    Nymph

Post  ydekm Mon Jun 14, 2010 12:25 pm

83T'na wrote:(I read your response. I dont consider rape and incest among the most common reasons women terminate their pregnancies. And of all the women I know who have had medical or surgical abortions, none of them were "irresponsible" with their contraception.

So... you'll judge them as irresponsible for becoming pregnant?.)

No. That's not what I'm saying at all. If you plan to get pregnant but then find it is a threat to your life, it's not your fault. Of course it's not. How can you read that into what I said?

Who said they were planned pregnancies? I am talking about women who practice safe sex and find themselves with a pregnancy they dont want to continue with. Why would you plan to get pregnant while using contraception?
    83T'na
    83T'na
    Nymph
    Nymph

Post  83T'na Mon Jun 14, 2010 12:25 pm

Sassydot wrote:So, therefore, an unwanted pregnancy under your policy WOULD result in a threat to the life of the mother, as she would be unable to seek a safe termination, and would then to to a "back room butcher" thus endangering her life - and thus would be able to seek a safe termination.

Rolling Eyes

FFS - do you think I am against legal abortion?

NO!!!!!!!!!! Duh - I'm only against the tax payer having to fund ALL of them.

Good grief!!!!!!!

So, my quip about back room butchers was misplaced. Sue me.
    Sassydot
    Sassydot
    Nymph
    Nymph

Post  Sassydot Mon Jun 14, 2010 12:26 pm

Sorry, so only wealthy people, who can come up with the thousands of dollars it would cost, in approximately 1-2 months, could have abortions?

Oh, sorry, that makes it ALL the more reasonable.

Rolling Eyes
    83T'na
    83T'na
    Nymph
    Nymph

Post  83T'na Mon Jun 14, 2010 12:30 pm

Sassydot wrote:Sorry, so only wealthy people, who can come up with the thousands of dollars it would cost, in approximately 1-2 months, could have abortions?

Oh, sorry, that makes it ALL the more reasonable.

Rolling Eyes

You can get dental care on Q Card - why not an abortion?
    Sassydot
    Sassydot
    Nymph
    Nymph

Post  Sassydot Mon Jun 14, 2010 12:35 pm

83T'na wrote:

You can't be fucking serious? Surprised
    83T'na
    83T'na
    Nymph
    Nymph

Post  83T'na Mon Jun 14, 2010 12:37 pm

Sassydot wrote:
    83T'na wrote:

Why not? Would health insurance cover 'accidents'? Probably.
    ydekm
    Nymph
    Nymph

Post  ydekm Mon Jun 14, 2010 12:40 pm

83T'na wrote:
    Sassydot wrote:
    83T'na wrote:

Why not? Would health insurance cover 'accidents'? Probably.

I dont think so. But you can opt for a private abortion for $3k I think.
    It has to be surgical though and not the less evasive medical procedure (drugs only)
    Sassydot
    Sassydot
    Nymph
    Nymph

Post  Sassydot Mon Jun 14, 2010 12:42 pm

Well, I spose its a good way to clear out the "underclass" of society, the ones that can't afford health insurance, or a Q card, let alone a baby... as they attempt to deal with the issue themselves.
    Waireka
    Waireka
    River-God
    River-God

Post  Waireka Mon Jun 14, 2010 3:52 pm

Wow, you opened a whole can of worms with that in the mix.

ydekm wrote:I know it hasn't been mentioned but I think it's going this way....I think the argument "Oh abortions are used as contraception for lazy women" is the biggest load of crap I have ever heard.

I have held many a hand during an unwanted pregnancy... 3 invasive hospital appointments, 3 sets of retelling how you became pregnant, 1 intense session with a hospital shrink, multiple blood test and cervical smears.... and the physical side effects - pain, vomiting, nausea, potential for infections, follow up appointments, excessive bleeding, fainting.

Hardly someone does more than once if possible.

Having done the same for a friend, I agree. It has to be one of the worst experiences I've ever been through and it wasn't even happening to me.

My stance on abortion is irrelevant to this dicussion, but I think the government should fund a maximum of 3. I believe the government only funds 2 IVF attempts.
    Psalter
    Psalter
    River-God
    River-God

Post  Psalter Mon Jun 14, 2010 3:57 pm

I personally know someone who has had 4 medical terminations and she and her sister came over with McDonalds after her sister had her last one... having a great laugh they were.
    Waireka
    Waireka
    River-God
    River-God

Post  Waireka Mon Jun 14, 2010 4:04 pm

Psalter wrote:I personally know someone who has had 4 medical terminations and she and her sister came over with McDonalds after her sister had her last one... having a great laugh they were.

Girl over the road has had 3, she would've had another with her newborn except her SIL found out and told everyone she was pregnant.

23yo, 5 kids under 6 and 3 abortions.
    83T'na
    83T'na
    Nymph
    Nymph

Post  83T'na Mon Jun 14, 2010 4:12 pm

Waireka wrote:
    Psalter wrote:I personally know someone who has had 4 medical terminations and she and her sister came over with McDonalds after her sister had her last one... having a great laugh they were.

Girl over the road has had 3, she would've had another with her newborn except her SIL found out and told everyone she was pregnant.

These are the kinds of people we should be funding? I don't think so.
    Psalter
    Psalter
    River-God
    River-God

Post  Psalter Mon Jun 14, 2010 4:17 pm

83T'na wrote:
    Waireka wrote:

You'd rather fund them as parents?
    83T'na
    83T'na
    Nymph
    Nymph

Post  83T'na Mon Jun 14, 2010 4:21 pm

Psalter wrote:
    83T'na wrote:
    Waireka wrote:

You'd rather fund them as parents?

Neither, frankly.
    ____
    ____
    Nymph
    Nymph

Post  ____ Mon Jun 14, 2010 4:27 pm

Realistically though, if not both it has to be one or the other.
    Psalter
    Psalter
    River-God
    River-God

Post  Psalter Mon Jun 14, 2010 4:29 pm

____ wrote:Realistically though, if not both it has to be one or the other.

Yep, one or the other.
    ydekm
    Nymph
    Nymph

Post  ydekm Mon Jun 14, 2010 4:42 pm

83T'na wrote:
    Waireka wrote:

And the alternative is what? Punish the babies for being born to morons?
    Fuck, if a moron can say "Ya know what, I dont think I should be having this baby" good on them!
    Sassydot
    Sassydot
    Nymph
    Nymph

Post  Sassydot Tue Jun 15, 2010 9:01 am

Now I struggle to see any logic, any reasoning at all other than plain bigotry, behind your viewpoint that we should be funding ELECTIVE COSMETIC SURGERY, but telling someone, who has little money and is facing an unplanned and unwanted pregnancy, that they have to suck it up.

I'd rather fund someone who has the balls to stand up and say, I am not ready for this child, please help
    Cos do you know what? That IS taking responsibility.
    83T'na
    83T'na
    Nymph
    Nymph

Post  83T'na Tue Jun 15, 2010 10:17 am

Sassydot wrote:Now I struggle to see any logic, any reasoning at all other than plain bigotry, behind your viewpoint that we should be funding ELECTIVE COSMETIC SURGERY, but telling someone, who has little money and is facing an unplanned and unwanted pregnancy, that they have to suck it up.

I'd rather fund someone who has the balls to stand up and say, I am not ready for this child, please help

You're happy doing that repeatedly? Maybe once, but not 3 times, surely.
    canterella
    canterella
    Nymph
    Nymph

Post  canterella Tue Jun 15, 2010 10:24 am

83T'na wrote:
    Sassydot wrote:Now I struggle to see any logic, any reasoning at all other than plain bigotry, behind your viewpoint that we should be funding ELECTIVE COSMETIC SURGERY, but telling someone, who has little money and is facing an unplanned and unwanted pregnancy, that they have to suck it up.

Well after deep and meaningful thinking, I'd be happy for them to do it as many times as needed rather than see another unwanted, neglected and/or abused child filling our child murder statistics.
    Sassydot
    Sassydot
    Nymph
    Nymph

Post  Sassydot Tue Jun 15, 2010 10:33 am

canterella wrote:
    83T'na wrote:

Well after deep and meaningful thinking, I'd be happy for them to do it as many times as needed rather than see another unwanted, neglected and/or abused child filling our child murder statistics.

BINGO

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Tue Mar 19, 2024 5:07 pm