Tartarus

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Underworld Of Lightly (& Logically) Moderated Discussion & Debate

+13
Donkeycheese
ydekm
____
woody67
Allan
relict
izzi
master5o1
frup
83T'na
Psalter
Spooky_Child
Waireka
17 posters

Santa Claus, Tooth Fairy, Easter Bunny etc...

Poll

Do/Did/Would you encourage these myths with your children?

[ 5 ]
    Santa Claus, Tooth Fairy, Easter Bunny etc... Bar_left36%Santa Claus, Tooth Fairy, Easter Bunny etc... Bar_right [36%] 
    [ 9 ]
    Santa Claus, Tooth Fairy, Easter Bunny etc... Bar_left64%Santa Claus, Tooth Fairy, Easter Bunny etc... Bar_right [64%] 

Total Votes: 14
    Waireka
    Waireka
    River-God
    River-God

Santa Claus, Tooth Fairy, Easter Bunny etc... Empty Santa Claus, Tooth Fairy, Easter Bunny etc...

Post  Waireka Tue Jun 08, 2010 8:34 pm

Do/Did/Would you encourage these myths with your children?

Discuss.
    Spooky_Child
    Spooky_Child
    Mortal
    Mortal

Santa Claus, Tooth Fairy, Easter Bunny etc... Empty Re: Santa Claus, Tooth Fairy, Easter Bunny etc...

Post  Spooky_Child Tue Jun 08, 2010 8:35 pm

No.
    I think one of the hardest things to go thru when you are a kid is finding out that they are not real so I think it can be cruel to get their hopes up.
    Psalter
    Psalter
    River-God
    River-God

Santa Claus, Tooth Fairy, Easter Bunny etc... Empty Re: Santa Claus, Tooth Fairy, Easter Bunny etc...

Post  Psalter Tue Jun 08, 2010 8:39 pm

No.

It was always a joke in my family... I never believed in Santa, but we had Santa traditions.

Same for everything.
    Waireka
    Waireka
    River-God
    River-God

Post  Waireka Tue Jun 08, 2010 8:40 pm

It was always Dad and my private joke that these things weren't real, when other children would talk about them, I'd look at him, he'd roll his eyes and smile.

Husband wants to encourage these, but I don't want to. So we wont.
    83T'na
    83T'na
    Nymph
    Nymph

Post  83T'na Tue Jun 08, 2010 8:41 pm

Waireka wrote:Do/Did/Would you encourage these myths with your children?

Discuss.

Could we have another option like, sort of?

I taught my children that 'Santa Claus' was the spirit of giving. I told them that there had been a real man who brought presents for children but that he had died and people carried on the tradition in tandem with other traditions (like the Gospel story). That way I could leave the presents under the tree as they arrived and there would be no discussion about whether or not they got opened before the day. None of them ever questioned it either.

Yes, my daughter still has a photo taken on Santa's lap. It's something she wants to do.

The Easter Bunny was never really discussed in our house because my children were raised understanding the Christian aspect of that time of year. It just seemed confusing to include any more. Although, they did always understand the idea that Easter time was chocolate egg season.

Last edited by 83T'na on Tue Jun 08, 2010 8:44 pm; edited 1 time in total
    frup
    frup
    Nymph
    Nymph

Post  frup Tue Jun 08, 2010 8:42 pm

Provided I don't breed with a lunatic, I plan to not even mention these things to my children.
    83T'na
    83T'na
    Nymph
    Nymph

Post  83T'na Tue Jun 08, 2010 8:45 pm

frup wrote:Provided I don't breed with a lunatic, I plan to not even mention these things to my children.

That will be hard, unless you raise your kids in a cave. They will hear about them and you will have to explain them at some stage.
    master5o1
    master5o1
    Cyclopes
    Cyclopes

Post  master5o1 Tue Jun 08, 2010 8:52 pm

Santa, God, Tooth Fairy, Easter Bunny ... They're all non-existent.

It would be more useful to suggest that there exists a certain brown bear that might choose to lurk near the children.
    master5o1
    master5o1
    Cyclopes
    Cyclopes

Post  master5o1 Tue Jun 08, 2010 8:54 pm

83T'na wrote:
    frup wrote:Provided I don't breed with a lunatic, I plan to not even mention these things to my children.

That will be hard, unless you raise your kids in a cave. They will hear about them and you will have to explain them at some stage.

I find it quite easy to say to children that God does not exist.
    izzi
    izzi
    Nymph
    Nymph

Post  izzi Tue Jun 08, 2010 8:55 pm

We will have all of them and any imaginary friends who want to hang around and maybe even a fairy or two at the bottom of the garden if the need arises.
    frup
    frup
    Nymph
    Nymph

Post  frup Tue Jun 08, 2010 8:57 pm

83T'na wrote:

And then I will explain to them what a horrible place the world is, full of liars.
    83T'na
    83T'na
    Nymph
    Nymph

Post  83T'na Tue Jun 08, 2010 9:14 pm

frup wrote:
    83T'na wrote:

And then I will explain to them what a horrible place the world is, full of liars.

Kids are smarter than you think.
    relict
    relict
    River-God
    River-God

Post  relict Tue Jun 08, 2010 9:25 pm

frup wrote:Provided I don't breed with a lunatic, I plan to not even
    mention these things to my children.

I talk about them with children, because they ask. I say some people believe the stories about Santa/Easter Bunny/Tooth fairy, but I don't.
    Allan
    Allan
    Nymph
    Nymph

Post  Allan Tue Jun 08, 2010 9:42 pm

izzi wrote:We will have all of them and any imaginary friends who want to hang around and maybe even a fairy or two at the bottom of the garden if the need arises.

^^ this

If I have to sit there sipping invisible drinks and enjoying an imaginary meal off a bare plastic plate at my daughters tea parties then I am sure I can accommodate a fat guy dressed in red and a big furry rabbit who hands out chocolate once a year.
    Cool
    Waireka
    Waireka
    River-God
    River-God

Post  Waireka Tue Jun 08, 2010 9:45 pm

Allan wrote:
    If I have to sit there sipping invisible drinks and enjoying an imaginary meal off a bare plastic plate at my daughters tea parties then I am sure I can accommodate a fat guy dressed in red and a big furry rabbit who hands out chocolate once a year.
    Cool

Seriously adorable.
    83T'na
    83T'na
    Nymph
    Nymph

Post  83T'na Tue Jun 08, 2010 11:21 pm

Waireka wrote:
    Allan wrote:
    Cool

Seriously adorable.

I agree. You big softy, Allan. Wink
    woody67
    woody67
    Nymph
    Nymph

Post  woody67 Wed Jun 09, 2010 12:09 am

I don't think it's any big deal to have the whole santa etc I did with my son and when he asked re this being real I said HELL yes he was and he was an awesome bloke who brought joy to those less fortunate and as a parent I LOVED being able to pass his spirit of giving on, and no matter how old you get son there will always be a pressie from santa for you , nothing wrong with keeping the spirit of a cool dude, for his time, alive I say.

As for the tooth faerie when he asked I just begged his indulgence as it was a major milestone for me as a mum to have him "lose" his teeth ergo I had a wee ritual I performed..that had been passed down to me from his nana and her nana etc he does not think I am a liar and please let's not forget that without imagination nuturing, many, many things we see today just simply would not exist.

He is nine now and so we speak more of the big bang etc, he said to me the other day that "we are made up of nothing more than we are of something mum"....given that atoms are quite spaced apart etc...

And I know you don't like kids Savant but thank you for helping him to walk the path that lead to that comment.
    ____
    ____
    Nymph
    Nymph

Post  ____ Wed Jun 09, 2010 1:56 am

1 guess as to what my answer would be. And if you guess wrong, you get shot in the face.
    ydekm
    Nymph
    Nymph

Post  ydekm Wed Jun 09, 2010 9:07 am

woody67 wrote:I don't think it's any big deal to have the whole santa etc I did with my son and when he asked re this being real I said HELL yes he was and he was an awesome bloke who brought joy to those less fortunate and as a parent I LOVED being able to pass his spirit of giving on, and no matter how old you get son there will always be a pressie from santa for you , nothing wrong with keeping the spirit of a cool dude, for his time, alive I say.

As for the tooth faerie when he asked I just begged his indulgence as it was a major milestone for me as a mum to have him "lose" his teeth ergo I had a wee ritual I performed..that had been passed down to me from his nana and her nana etc he does not think I am a liar and please let's not forget that without imagination nuturing, many, many things we see today just simply would not exist.

Exactly.
    If there is room for religion and believing in things we can't see/feel, then there is room for Santa/Easter Bunny/Tooth fairy.

I still get presents from Santa Smile
    ____
    ____
    Nymph
    Nymph

Post  ____ Wed Jun 09, 2010 9:12 am

woody67 wrote:I don't think it's any big deal to have the whole santa etc I did with my son and when he asked re this being real I said HELL yes he was and he was an awesome bloke who brought joy to those less fortunate and as a parent I LOVED being able to pass his spirit of giving on, and no matter how old you get son there will always be a pressie from santa for you , nothing wrong with keeping the spirit of a cool dude, for his time, alive I say.

He is nine now and so we speak more of the big bang etc, he said to me the other day that "we are made up of nothing more than we are of something mum"....given that atoms are quite spaced apart etc...

And I know you don't like kids Savant but thank you for helping him to walk the path that lead to that comment.

If you can, try and find some recordings of Ann Dryun online, there's a good Point of Inquiry podcast I heard last night with an interview with her. She's Carl Sagan's widow and manages to convey much, much more succintly than I am able to the wonders inherent in science.

Makes religion look laughable, to be quite honest, and shows it to be wholly unimaginative.
    master5o1
    master5o1
    Cyclopes
    Cyclopes

Post  master5o1 Wed Jun 09, 2010 2:59 pm

____ wrote:1 guess as to what my answer would be. And if you guess wrong, you get shot in the face.

You will teach your child about the ways of tea and failure?
    Donkeycheese
    Donkeycheese
    Nymph
    Nymph

Post  Donkeycheese Wed Jun 09, 2010 3:05 pm

I will teach my kids about all these things - my father already dresses up as santa on xmas for the grandkids. He wants to do it, and the smile Zach gives them is reward enough

It may be unrealistic, but most chicks I know believe that diamonds should be given to them for things like
    - saying I DO
    - Popping sprogs
    - Staying with partner for x number of years

Now, that sounds like more of a fucking fairy tale than a magical bunny who gives me chocolate each year!!
    ____
    ____
    Nymph
    Nymph

Post  ____ Wed Jun 09, 2010 3:25 pm

master5o1 wrote:
    ____ wrote:1 guess as to what my answer would be. And if you guess wrong, you get shot in the face.

You will teach your child about the ways of tea and failure?

Tea is failure.

And no, my children will be taught the following:

Santa Claus, Tooth Fairy, Easter Bunny etc... Qgtw439l8qo30oeh5SvbDUg5o1_500
    Tara
    Mortal
    Mortal

Post  Tara Wed Jun 09, 2010 6:11 pm

I put yes, since we do the Santa deal in our house, though if/when one (or both) of the kids start to question it, I doubt I'll try to continue with it.

Haven't done really done Easter, my oldest (five years) basically fronted with the fact that rabbits don't have eggs so what the fuck is going on (no, not his actual words), and that was the end of that. Which was all good.
    He has never been huge with Christmas either, except for the tree...he loves the tree and decorations. Presents he couldn't give a shit about, last year he ignored everything for about an hour and a half whilst he ate pancakes, had a shower and chased the cat.

Youngest is only 18 months, and considers sheets of newspaper the height of excitment. Christmas will be great for her this year.
    frup
    frup
    Nymph
    Nymph

Post  frup Wed Jun 09, 2010 6:45 pm

Tara wrote:I put yes, since we do the Santa deal in our house, though if/when one (or both) of the kids start to question it, I doubt I'll try to continue with it.

Haven't done really done Easter, my oldest (five years) basically fronted with the fact that rabbits don't have eggs so what the fuck is going on (no, not his actual words), and that was the end of that. Which was all good.
    He has never been huge with Christmas either, except for the tree...he loves the tree and decorations. Presents he couldn't give a shit about, last year he ignored everything for about an hour and a half whilst he ate pancakes, had a shower and chased the cat.

Youngest is only 18 months, and considers sheets of newspaper the height of excitment. Christmas will be great for her this year.

God you have awesome kids.

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content