The Underworld Of Lightly (& Logically) Moderated Discussion & Debate


    Pet peeves - what are yours?

    Share
    avatar
    ChelseaT
    Nymph
    Nymph

    Re: Pet peeves - what are yours?

    Post  ChelseaT on Fri Jun 11, 2010 11:45 am

    Something I've just seen on Facebook by a classmate of mine:

    $650 for a 15 point paper taught by someone who doesn't even know what they're talking about. RAGE!

    This is coming from our class rep who hardly turns up to lectures and DOESN'T LISTEN when the lecturer tells her what's going on. She's one of the select few in the class that expect to be told explicitly what's going to be in the exams.

    WHAT WE'VE LEARNED OVER THE ENTIRE SEMESTER IS WHAT'S GOING TO BE IN THE FUCKING EXAMS.

    I hate it when people expect everything to be handed to them on a fucking plate.

    Oh, and the lecturer DOES know what she's talking about. She's been teaching the subject since before this girl was born.
    avatar
    83T'na
    Nymph
    Nymph

    Re: Pet peeves - what are yours?

    Post  83T'na on Fri Jun 11, 2010 11:47 am

    ChelseaT wrote:Something I've just seen on Facebook by a classmate of mine:

    $650 for a 15 point paper taught by someone who doesn't even know what they're talking about. RAGE!

    This is coming from our class rep who hardly turns up to lectures and DOESN'T LISTEN when the lecturer tells her what's going on. She's one of the select few in the class that expect to be told explicitly what's going to be in the exams.

    WHAT WE'VE LEARNED OVER THE ENTIRE SEMESTER IS WHAT'S GOING TO BE IN THE FUCKING EXAMS.

    I hate it when people expect everything to be handed to them on a fucking plate.

    I would guess the whole point of going to class at all is to learn something. Pity she's not there so much.

    All I want for my kids is to learn how to learn. That way they don't have to lean on the teacher so much.

    ydekm
    Nymph
    Nymph

    Re: Pet peeves - what are yours?

    Post  ydekm on Fri Jun 11, 2010 11:47 am

    [quote="83T'na"]
    ydekm wrote:
    83T'na wrote:
    I think they do compare. Anything can be compared.

    There are obvious differences but you can transfer skills between any role and parenting.

    You can transfer a lot of 'mothering' skills to the work place too. Except, it's such a shame not many employers acknowledge that.

    Which means it is comparable. Smile


    Re: parenting skills in the workplace - you have to be realistic firstly just because you are a parent, doesn't mean you are a good parent. So a little subjective in terms of "work experience"....

    And that point aside just because you look after your families finances (maybe) doesnt mean you have the skills to look after the finances of a business unit, team or company.

    It's similar to an argument that I come up against frequently because I don't have a degree. I dont make excuses or get shitty about it... I started on minimum wage and worked my way up and I'll continue to do that. Some people have taken risks for me and it's paid off. And there are people out there willing to do that for mothers returning to work too. You just have to find them and take the conditions - ie usually low pay.

    Parenthood means sacrifice.
    Which is why I've made the choice to establish myself in the workplace first. So hopefully I dont struggle as much, if I choose to have children.


    fuck me what a ramble.. excuse grammatical errors.


    Last edited by ydekm on Fri Jun 11, 2010 11:49 am; edited 1 time in total
    avatar
    Waireka
    River-God
    River-God

    Re: Pet peeves - what are yours?

    Post  Waireka on Fri Jun 11, 2010 11:48 am

    I completely agree most people can be a mum.

    I know my 'job' is easy, I like this, my hours are much longer, I get paid less (lol), I don't get sick leave or annual leave, often I would much rather be in my old job.

    Old job = Sales & Administrative Manager for a team of 30 sales people and 10 admin staff, I prefer it (at times) just because when I left at 7pm at night it was all over until 7am the next morning. The challenge and the rewards were more obvious, the results were black and white. Instant satisfaction.

    In reality, I'm quite happy to be in my PJs all day, rocking my teething baby to sleep, because I know I could never do both.... Oh yeah and I love him to bits.

    I was never going to be a 'career-woman', it was just never me.

    I'd never complain that my job is harder than almost every job there is, because it's not.
    avatar
    Waireka
    River-God
    River-God

    Re: Pet peeves - what are yours?

    Post  Waireka on Fri Jun 11, 2010 11:54 am

    [quote="ydekm"]
    83T'na wrote:
    ydekm wrote:
    83T'na wrote:
    I think they do compare. Anything can be compared.

    There are obvious differences but you can transfer skills between any role and parenting.

    You can transfer a lot of 'mothering' skills to the work place too. Except, it's such a shame not many employers acknowledge that.

    Which means it is comparable. Smile


    Re: parenting skills in the workplace - you have to be realistic firstly just because you are a parent, doesn't mean you are a good parent. So a little subjective in terms of "work experience"....

    And that point aside just because you look after your families finances (maybe) doesnt mean you have the skills to look after the finances of a business unit, team or company.

    It's similar to an argument that I come up against frequently because I don't have a degree. I dont make excuses or get shitty about it... I started on minimum wage and worked my way up and I'll continue to do that. Some people have taken risks for me and it's paid off. And there are people out there willing to do that for mothers returning to work too. You just have to find them and take the conditions - ie usually low pay.

    Parenthood means sacrifice.
    Which is why I've made the choice to establish myself in the workplace first. So hopefully I dont struggle as much, if I choose to have children.


    fuck me what a ramble.. excuse grammatical errors.

    As someone who has employed a lot of staff. I think I have mentally discriminated against mothers, mothers often need to take time off, leave halfway through the day.

    They have a second job essentially, this job takes priority over their job with your business.

    ydekm
    Nymph
    Nymph

    Re: Pet peeves - what are yours?

    Post  ydekm on Fri Jun 11, 2010 11:58 am

    For sure, but people get discriminated against based on lots of things fat=lazy, facial hair=lazy/untrustworthy, woman=takes more time off on sick leave....

    So I dont think mothers/parents are more discriminated against than others. I dont think I've ever worked for a company/business/agency that would discriminate against mothers. I currently work in a very flexible environment... if I had to take time off (or pick up a sick child) I'd take my laptop home and work there. Not an issue.


    BUT I did work for a guy who wouldnt let his male staff grow facial hair, and wouldn't hire a guy who wasn't clean shaven.
    avatar
    83T'na
    Nymph
    Nymph

    Re: Pet peeves - what are yours?

    Post  83T'na on Fri Jun 11, 2010 12:05 pm

    Wanna know what peeves me? People who try and put me down because I'm a stay at home mum.

    It's not by choice, believe me. But, even if it was, my value as someone contributing to society is just as great as any other person's.

    ydekm
    Nymph
    Nymph

    Re: Pet peeves - what are yours?

    Post  ydekm on Fri Jun 11, 2010 12:13 pm

    Yeah for sure... but there are alot of SAHMs who try to tell those that work/arent parents that THEY dont contribute as much as a SAHM does. And I think that was the original peeve here.
    avatar
    Sassydot
    Nymph
    Nymph

    Re: Pet peeves - what are yours?

    Post  Sassydot on Fri Jun 11, 2010 12:17 pm

    ydekm wrote:Yeah for sure... but there are alot of SAHMs who try to tell those that work/arent parents that THEY dont contribute as much as a SAHM does. And I think that was the original peeve here.

    Yup
    And its usually the damn crunchys who do it too
    avatar
    83T'na
    Nymph
    Nymph

    Re: Pet peeves - what are yours?

    Post  83T'na on Fri Jun 11, 2010 12:19 pm

    Sassydot wrote:
    ydekm wrote:Yeah for sure... but there are alot of SAHMs who try to tell those that work/arent parents that THEY dont contribute as much as a SAHM does. And I think that was the original peeve here.

    Yup
    And its usually the damn crunchys who do it too

    Crunchies? scratch


    Last edited by 83T'na on Fri Jun 11, 2010 12:20 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Typo - fixed)
    avatar
    Sassydot
    Nymph
    Nymph

    Re: Pet peeves - what are yours?

    Post  Sassydot on Fri Jun 11, 2010 12:21 pm

    83T'na wrote:Crunchies? scratch


    Sassydot wrote:
    ydekm wrote:especially the feminazi (HATE that term but it's apt) type that hang on SC and judge everyone about nappies and breastfeeding (or not) and whether you let your baby cry itself to sleep (or not)...

    Crunchys, like RR

    http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=crunchy%20mama
    avatar
    Waireka
    River-God
    River-God

    Re: Pet peeves - what are yours?

    Post  Waireka on Fri Jun 11, 2010 12:26 pm

    Sassydot wrote:
    83T'na wrote:Crunchies? scratch


    Sassydot wrote:
    ydekm wrote:especially the feminazi (HATE that term but it's apt) type that hang on SC and judge everyone about nappies and breastfeeding (or not) and whether you let your baby cry itself to sleep (or not)...

    Crunchys, like RR

    http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=crunchy%20mama



    Oh no! Lol.

    I met one of those when I was in hospital after my c-section, she told me I was stunting my son by bottle feeding him and I would never love him like she loved her child, because I hadn't 'birthed' him.

    I just laughed.

    ydekm
    Nymph
    Nymph

    Re: Pet peeves - what are yours?

    Post  ydekm on Fri Jun 11, 2010 12:27 pm

    I love that term... we call them "Earth Mothers".


    You see it all the time.. normal woman, into shoes, hair, makeup, nice clothes... gets pregnant. Turns into an earth mother and buys a baby sling.


    Not that buying a baby sling means you're an earth mother. But that's how if often starts.
    avatar
    83T'na
    Nymph
    Nymph

    Re: Pet peeves - what are yours?

    Post  83T'na on Fri Jun 11, 2010 12:32 pm

    Laughing Thanks for the link.

    I'm a 'what works for you is fine with me' kind of person.
    avatar
    Kissme
    Mortal
    Mortal

    Re: Pet peeves - what are yours?

    Post  Kissme on Fri Jun 11, 2010 1:16 pm

    I hate you. I don't work in an office. How dare you devalue me in that way.

    Seriously, come and do my job, you wouldn't be able to. I would take being a stay at home mum over my job for the same money any day. Spending all that time watching tv, playing on the net, playing with my kids, FUN! You can't compare your 'job' and my job. And yes, your 'job', because fuck anyone who says that being a mother is a job. And to stop you getting all uppity and offended as you likely will, being a mother is NOT a fucking job, it is a career, something you do because you have such a passion or love for it that it beats any old job.

    If you could actually read AND comprehend, I said I hate the mothers that get all mighty about being a stay at home mum who act like my job is nothing compared to theirs.

    And yes, being a SAHM IS a choice. You choose to have kids, you choose to stay at home to look after them.
    avatar
    83T'na
    Nymph
    Nymph

    Re: Pet peeves - what are yours?

    Post  83T'na on Fri Jun 11, 2010 1:24 pm

    Kissme wrote:I hate you. I don't work in an office. How dare you devalue me in that way.

    Seriously, come and do my job, you wouldn't be able to. I would take being a stay at home mum over my job for the same money any day. Spending all that time watching tv, playing on the net, playing with my kids, FUN! You can't compare your 'job' and my job. And yes, your 'job', because fuck anyone who says that being a mother is a job. And to stop you getting all uppity and offended as you likely will, being a mother is NOT a fucking job, it is a career, something you do because you have such a passion or love for it that it beats any old job.

    If you could actually read AND comprehend, I said I hate the mothers that get all mighty about being a stay at home mum who act like my job is nothing compared to theirs.

    And yes, being a SAHM IS a choice. You choose to have kids, you choose to stay at home to look after them.

    If I may ask, what is your job? That motherhood is a chosen career, you and I agree. I didn't mean to imply that you (as a person) are any less valued. Sorry if that came across.
    avatar
    Kissme
    Mortal
    Mortal

    Re: Pet peeves - what are yours?

    Post  Kissme on Fri Jun 11, 2010 1:32 pm

    83T'na wrote:
    Kissme wrote:I hate you. I don't work in an office. How dare you devalue me in that way.

    Seriously, come and do my job, you wouldn't be able to. I would take being a stay at home mum over my job for the same money any day. Spending all that time watching tv, playing on the net, playing with my kids, FUN! You can't compare your 'job' and my job. And yes, your 'job', because fuck anyone who says that being a mother is a job. And to stop you getting all uppity and offended as you likely will, being a mother is NOT a fucking job, it is a career, something you do because you have such a passion or love for it that it beats any old job.

    If you could actually read AND comprehend, I said I hate the mothers that get all mighty about being a stay at home mum who act like my job is nothing compared to theirs.

    And yes, being a SAHM IS a choice. You choose to have kids, you choose to stay at home to look after them.

    If I may ask, what is your job? That motherhood is a chosen career, you and I agree. I didn't mean to imply that you (as a person) are any less valued. Sorry if that came across.


    Currently I am contracted as a 2IC for a 27million dollar business running a team of roughly 100 people.
    avatar
    83T'na
    Nymph
    Nymph

    Re: Pet peeves - what are yours?

    Post  83T'na on Fri Jun 11, 2010 1:33 pm

    So, you're a supervisor? scratch
    Obviously you can't be any more specific. Never mind.
    avatar
    Kissme
    Mortal
    Mortal

    Re: Pet peeves - what are yours?

    Post  Kissme on Fri Jun 11, 2010 1:38 pm

    83T'na wrote:So, you're a supervisor? scratch
    Obviously you can't be any more specific. Never mind.

    A supervisor? Haha, only if the supervisors you know make business decisions and follow market trends etc

    ydekm
    Nymph
    Nymph

    Re: Pet peeves - what are yours?

    Post  ydekm on Fri Jun 11, 2010 1:46 pm

    Kissme wrote:
    83T'na wrote:So, you're a supervisor? scratch
    Obviously you can't be any more specific. Never mind.

    A supervisor? Haha, only if the supervisors you know make business decisions and follow market trends etc

    I do that, I'm an Analyst.
    avatar
    83T'na
    Nymph
    Nymph

    Re: Pet peeves - what are yours?

    Post  83T'na on Fri Jun 11, 2010 1:52 pm

    Kissme wrote:
    83T'na wrote:So, you're a supervisor? scratch
    Obviously you can't be any more specific. Never mind.

    A supervisor? Haha, only if the supervisors you know make business decisions and follow market trends etc

    Look, just tell me your job title!!!!!!!!

    ydekm
    Nymph
    Nymph

    Re: Pet peeves - what are yours?

    Post  ydekm on Fri Jun 11, 2010 1:53 pm

    83T'na wrote:
    Kissme wrote:
    83T'na wrote:So, you're a supervisor? scratch
    Obviously you can't be any more specific. Never mind.

    A supervisor? Haha, only if the supervisors you know make business decisions and follow market trends etc

    Look, just tell me your job title!!!!!!!!

    Yeah but that still doesnt mean anything. Job title are wanked up all the time.
    avatar
    83T'na
    Nymph
    Nymph

    Re: Pet peeves - what are yours?

    Post  83T'na on Fri Jun 11, 2010 2:00 pm

    My past general job title was 'Customer Service Administrator'.

    That meant managing large data bases and generally ensuring the accurate transfer of information between the company and the customer.

    Not as light weight as it looks because you need to be able to negotiate and educate as well.

    ydekm
    Nymph
    Nymph

    Re: Pet peeves - what are yours?

    Post  ydekm on Fri Jun 11, 2010 2:05 pm

    Yeah but I've been Implementation Manager, Project Manager, Project Analyst, Resource Analyst, Systems Administrator....

    And all titles could have been equally applied across most of the roles. Titles are pretty much meaningless.

    I've finally made the move out of admin completely this year.
    avatar
    Waireka
    River-God
    River-God

    Re: Pet peeves - what are yours?

    Post  Waireka on Fri Jun 11, 2010 2:11 pm

    83T'na wrote:My past general job title was 'Customer Service Administrator'.

    That meant managing large data bases and generally ensuring the accurate transfer of information between the company and the customer.

    Not as light weight as it looks because you need to be able to negotiate and educate as well.

    I did the same thing with a 'Receptionist' title.

    Sponsored content

    Re: Pet peeves - what are yours?

    Post  Sponsored content


      Current date/time is Fri Nov 24, 2017 6:40 pm