[ 1 ]
    7% [7%] 

Total Votes: 14
    ____
    Nymph
    Nymph

Hypothetical Shituation

Post  ____ on Fri Jun 04, 2010 1:49 pm

Watched a movie that had this situation in it, but I've modified the situation to make it not retarded like the movie.

A guy turns up to your house, hands you a box, and says "Inside this box is a button. If you press this button, tomorrow, I will return and give you one million dollars cash, tax free. You're free to discuss this with your spouse, etc... But nobody else.

Also, when you press the button, a predator drone somewhere in the world will fire a missile, killing someone. Or many people. Either way, at least one person will die, but it could also be dozens of people, as a direct result of you pressing this button.

If you don't press the button, nothing will happen, I'll come back tomorrow, get the box off you, and move on, and you won't get anything."

Would you press the button? I personally would have as soon as the guy said "One million dollars".
    83T'na
    Nymph
    Nymph

Re: Hypothetical Shituation

Post  83T'na on Fri Jun 04, 2010 2:01 pm

I have to fess up - I definately would, after making a show of moral struggle etc.
    frup
    Nymph
    Nymph

Post  frup on Fri Jun 04, 2010 2:10 pm

Why not, they're only hypothetical people. I would just hope that the button doesn't have the target tracking device in it too.

Perhaps you could leave the button below something that could fall at any moment and leave it up to chance.
    canterella
    Nymph
    Nymph

Post  canterella on Fri Jun 04, 2010 2:13 pm

No. $1 million is peanuts. Gimme at least a 100 Mil and you've got the deal.
    ____
    Nymph
    Nymph

Post  ____ on Fri Jun 04, 2010 2:25 pm

frup wrote:Why not, they're only hypothetical people. I would just hope that the button doesn't have the target tracking device in it too.

Perhaps you could leave the button below something that could fall at any moment and leave it up to chance.

No they're real people, people will definitely die as a result of your actions, but only you, and the guy who gave you the deal, will ever know. And the people who die won't be you or your spouse, but they might be someone you know.
    Psalter
    River-God
    River-God

Post  Psalter on Fri Jun 04, 2010 3:30 pm

____ wrote:Watched a movie that had this situation in it, but I've modified the situation to make it not retarded like the movie.

A guy turns up to your house, hands you a box, and says "Inside this box is a button. If you press this button, tomorrow, I will return and give you one million dollars cash, tax free. You're free to discuss this with your spouse, etc... But nobody else.

Also, when you press the button, a predator drone somewhere in the world will fire a missile, killing someone. Or many people. Either way, at least one person will die, but it could also be dozens of people, as a direct result of you pressing this button.

If you don't press the button, nothing will happen, I'll come back tomorrow, get the box off you, and move on, and you won't get anything."

Would you press the button? I personally would have as soon as the guy said "One million dollars".

That wasn't the situation at all.

It was one person, somewhere that was completely unknown to you. And it didn't say how they would die.
    Anjewel
    Nymph
    Nymph

Post  Anjewel on Fri Jun 04, 2010 3:32 pm

I'd push it..
    Waireka
    River-God
    River-God

Post  Waireka on Fri Jun 04, 2010 3:37 pm

This thread reminds me of Death Note.
    ____
    Nymph
    Nymph

Post  ____ on Fri Jun 04, 2010 3:49 pm

Psalter wrote:
    ____ wrote:Watched a movie that had this situation in it, but I've modified the situation to make it not retarded like the movie.

That wasn't the situation at all.

It was one person, somewhere that was completely unknown to you. And it didn't say how they would die.

Exactly why I said I'd modified it.
    Psalter
    River-God
    River-God

Post  Psalter on Fri Jun 04, 2010 3:51 pm

Oh.

Fuck you then.
    woody67
    Nymph
    Nymph

Post  woody67 on Fri Jun 04, 2010 7:37 pm

No
    Summoner
    Nymph
    Nymph

Post  Summoner on Fri Jun 04, 2010 7:48 pm

I would so push it. The world needs less humans.

Shame you couldn't pick where the misile landed though.

Whnaganui would be an awesome target.
    relict
    River-God
    River-God

Post  relict on Fri Jun 04, 2010 8:44 pm

Come back tomorrow?

I'd tell him I'm certain and ask him to take the box with him as he goes now. Wouldn't want someone to accidentally bump it, or curious children (hypothetical children of course!) to hit it in play.
    izzi
    Nymph
    Nymph

Post  izzi on Fri Jun 04, 2010 9:12 pm

Hypothetically I would take the box, inform the authorities that a maniac was getting his jollies by making random people explode other random people. They could take him and his button box away the next day.
    ChelseaT
    Nymph
    Nymph

Post  ChelseaT on Fri Jun 04, 2010 9:17 pm

Do we also have to consider that this person is giving the box and its powers to other people and thus increasing the danger of being asploded ourselves if we were to say no?

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Tue Dec 12, 2017 7:29 pm