The Underworld Of Lightly (& Logically) Moderated Discussion & Debate

Hypocrisy and apple pie.

ChelseaT
    Nymph
    Nymph

Hypocrisy and apple pie.

Post  ChelseaT on Thu Jun 03, 2010 10:34 pm

What are your personal definitions of hypocrisy?

I have been called a hypocrite a few times (all right, a lot) in my life, the majority of the time I wouldn't consider my actions or words to be hypocritical.

Some examples: Someone who stole a loaf of bread to feed his family condemns a man who robs a bank. Hypocritical?

Someone with horrific spelling calling someone else out on their grammar. Hypocritical?

A man who defends his wife/gf/child by striking another man saying violence is not the answer. Hypocritical?

How closely do they two actions have to relate to each other? Can person A who does something bad in one aspect of Person A's life not suggest that Person B is making mistakes in another aspect Person B's life?

I might have to come back later and reword this. I have a headache and my vision is squiffy so I can't be bothered re-reading.
    ____
    Nymph
    Nymph

Re: Hypocrisy and apple pie.

Post  ____ on Thu Jun 03, 2010 10:44 pm

All 3 examples are of hypocrisy in varying degrees of severity.

Doing X while saying X is bad is hypocrisy.

Humans are hypocrites.

My opinion in this matter is correct, and I'm going to bed now so I don't have to defend it.
    ChelseaT
    Nymph
    Nymph

Post  ChelseaT on Thu Jun 03, 2010 10:53 pm

____ wrote:Doing X while saying X is bad is hypocrisy.

X1 = a bad thing
    X2 = another bad thing

They're both under the umbrella of 'something that is bad'.

Pretty sure there are no saints, so aren't we all, or haven't we all done something bad at least once in our life?

Me, I fart in public and blame it on nearby children. This is recognised as 'bad'.
    Other person shoots a puppy in the face. This is also recognised as 'bad'.

Can I say Other Person is bad for doing something bad, even though I've done something bad myself?

Egad, I'm really having trouble wording what I mean today.
    83T'na
    Nymph
    Nymph

Post  83T'na on Thu Jun 03, 2010 11:54 pm

____ wrote:All 3 examples are of hypocrisy in varying degrees of severity.

Doing X while saying X is bad is hypocrisy.

Humans are hypocrites.

My opinion in this matter is correct, and I'm going to bed now so I don't have to defend it.

One man's degree is bound to be deeper than another's.

But, I guess that is what it comes down to. If I stole a loaf of bread to feed my child and then said that someone who robbed a bank in order to house his family was wrong, I would say I was being hypocritical. But I would still be glad I had fed my child.
    ____
    Nymph
    Nymph

Post  ____ on Fri Jun 04, 2010 12:02 am

ChelseaT wrote:
    ____ wrote:Doing X while saying X is bad is hypocrisy.

X1 = a bad thing
    X2 = another bad thing

They're both under the umbrella of 'something that is bad'.

Pretty sure there are no saints, so aren't we all, or haven't we all done something bad at least once in our life?

Me, I fart in public and blame it on nearby children. This is recognised as 'bad'.
    Other person shoots a puppy in the face. This is also recognised as 'bad'.

Can I say Other Person is bad for doing something bad, even though I've done something bad myself?

Egad, I'm really having trouble wording what I mean today.

I would say that's an incredibly broad, diffuse, and borderline meaningless definition of hypocrisy.

If I say "You're a shit person for raping that chick", and you say "Ah, but you once got too much change from a cashier in the supermarket and didn't return it, so who are you to judge me you hypocrite!", I'd say "That's not hypocrisy, you fucktard, that's comparing apples and dragons".

If I say "You're a shit person for raping that chick", while raping that same, or even just another chick altogether, you might have a point when you say "You can't judge me, you hypocrite"

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Aug 18, 2017 10:40 pm