Tartarus

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Underworld Of Lightly (& Logically) Moderated Discussion & Debate

+3
Donkeycheese
ChelseaT
Psalter
7 posters

Generation me students etc.

Psalter
    Psalter
    River-God
    River-God

Generation me students etc. Empty Generation me students etc.

Post  Psalter Thu Jun 03, 2010 2:51 pm

Students used to be about all about holding sit-ins and rallies in order to fight for the rights of others.
    But now they are too engrossed in their own lives to care, claims new research.

According to psychologists, undergraduates are fast losing the ability to empathise with other people.
    Researchers reviewing surveys of empathy found that they have lost almost 40 per cent of the ability since the 1980s.
    The study, presented at the annual meeting of the Association for Psychological Science, analysed a number of surveys involving almost 14,000 college students over the last 30 years.

"We found the biggest drop in empathy after the year 2000," said Sara Konrath, a researcher at the University of Michigan Institute for Social Research.
    "College kids today are about 40 per cent lower in empathy than their counterparts of 20 or 30 years ago, as measured by standard tests of this personality trait."
    Ms Konrath analysed the findings of 72 different studies of American college students conducted between 1979 and 2009, with fellow graduate student Edward O'Brien and undergraduate student Courtney Hsing.

Compared to college students of the late 1970s, the study found, college students today are less likely to agree with statements such as "I sometimes try to understand my friends better by imagining how things look from their perspective" and "I often have tender, concerned feelings for people less fortunate than me."
    Ms Konrath said that many people refer to the effect as the "Generation Me" which is one of the most self-centered, narcissistic, competitive, confident and individualistic in recent history.
    "It's not surprising that this growing emphasis on the self is accompanied by a corresponding devaluation of others," Mr O'Brien said.
    The researchers felt that the change in society could be to do with violence in the media and modern technology such as the internet reducing face o face personal interaction.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/science/7779290/Generation-me-students-have-less-empathy-than-20-years-ago.html
    Psalter
    Psalter
    River-God
    River-God

Generation me students etc. Empty Re: Generation me students etc.

Post  Psalter Thu Jun 03, 2010 2:54 pm

I'm pretty okay with this really.

The hippies and the love generation were pretty fucking hopeless as a generation to be honest. I am all for helping people, but linking arms and singing kumbayah (or however the fuck you spell it) doesn't really help anyone. Really, what did it achieve that couldn't have been achieved with good old-fashioned action?
    ChelseaT
    ChelseaT
    Nymph
    Nymph

Post  ChelseaT Thu Jun 03, 2010 3:08 pm

Generation me students etc. Give-a-fuck-o-meter

Couldn't word a decent response but the pic represents my thoughts on the matter.
    Donkeycheese
    Donkeycheese
    Nymph
    Nymph

Post  Donkeycheese Thu Jun 03, 2010 3:31 pm

ChelseaT wrote:Generation me students etc. Give-a-fuck-o-meter

Couldn't word a decent response but the pic represents my thoughts on the matter.

all that indicates to me is that you don't want to get laid.... or am I reading this wrong?
    ChelseaT
    ChelseaT
    Nymph
    Nymph

Post  ChelseaT Thu Jun 03, 2010 3:33 pm

Donkeycheese wrote:
    ChelseaT wrote:Generation me students etc. Give-a-fuck-o-meter

all that indicates to me is that you don't want to get laid.... or am I reading this wrong?

Must.. not... MEME!

Argh!

I'm 12 and what is this?
    Donkeycheese
    Donkeycheese
    Nymph
    Nymph

Post  Donkeycheese Thu Jun 03, 2010 3:41 pm

ChelseaT wrote:
    Must.. not... MEME!

Argh!

I'm 12 and what is this?

You can Meme all you like
    I'm 36, and won't understand it.

So will just resort to infantile humour involving Psalter's arse and erections
    83T'na
    83T'na
    Nymph
    Nymph

Post  83T'na Thu Jun 03, 2010 3:45 pm

("It's not surprising that this growing emphasis on the self is accompanied by a corresponding devaluation of others," Mr O'Brien said.
    The researchers felt that the change in society could be to do with violence in the media and modern technology such as the internet reducing face o face personal interaction.)

I don't think it has very much to do with social networking through the internet. That may simply be a symptom of the real cause.

I think (JMHO) this has more to do with the changing face of business and what it now takes to make a life and living for yourself in the economic climate of today. If you have empathy for anyone else, you are at an immediate disadvantage. Just look at reality TV. Survivor and The Apprentice start out all about 'team work', but the bottom line is what it comes down to - you're in there to win. There are no consolation prizes there or in real life. If you stop to care about the guy you have to step over to get to the top, he might get there ahead of you.
    ____
    ____
    Nymph
    Nymph

Post  ____ Thu Jun 03, 2010 4:11 pm

I'm going to go ahead and point out again that those who are most likely to bitch about generation "me"( Kinda hate that name, to be honest), are the ones who raised us. That, and I think it's quite likely a result of being born into a world where the excesses of the past generation have led to us being born into a world that is kinda fucked.

And I say "kinda", because I try not to be one of those doom-mongers who think the world really is fucked. I happen to think I live in the greatest times the world has ever known, and I'm glad I was born when I was.
    83T'na
    83T'na
    Nymph
    Nymph

Post  83T'na Thu Jun 03, 2010 4:23 pm

____ wrote:I'm going to go ahead and point out again that those who are most likely to bitch about generation "me"( Kinda hate that name, to be honest), are the ones who raised us. That, and I think it's quite likely a result of being born into a world where the excesses of the past generation have led to us being born into a world that is kinda fucked.

And I say "kinda", because I try not to be one of those doom-mongers who think the world really is fucked. I happen to think I live in the greatest times the world has ever known, and I'm glad I was born when I was.

I'm not bitching about it so much. But I have to say, I've always thought I was born 100 years too late.
    Zimberley143
    Mortal
    Mortal

Post  Zimberley143 Thu Jun 03, 2010 9:03 pm

People have complained for centuries about the generation that preceeds and follows the generation they belong to. Perhaps it's a way of seperating from our parents and releasing our children to be their own people. I am on the tail end of the baby boomers (1962) and love the time I was born in, wouldn't change it. Interesting you feel you were born 100 years too late 83, care to expand on that?
    Psalter
    Psalter
    River-God
    River-God

Post  Psalter Thu Jun 03, 2010 9:09 pm

Yes, it is established that generationally we perceive the next generation as somehow deficient in manners etc. but this article is backed up by actual evidence. The method may be shonky... maybe, but I don't think it is just looking at it.
    83T'na
    83T'na
    Nymph
    Nymph

Post  83T'na Thu Jun 03, 2010 9:21 pm

Zimberley143 wrote:People have complained for centuries about the generation that preceeds and follows the generation they belong to. Perhaps it's a way of seperating from our parents and releasing our children to be their own people. I am on the tail end of the baby boomers (1962) and love the time I was born in, wouldn't change it. Interesting you feel you were born 100 years too late 83, care to expand on that?

I don't exactly know to be honest. I just always felt that I didn't belong in this era. My expectations of life always seemed to be different from my peers.
    ____
    ____
    Nymph
    Nymph

Post  ____ Thu Jun 03, 2010 9:29 pm

Psalter wrote:Yes, it is established that generationally we perceive the next generation as somehow deficient in manners etc. but this article is backed up by actual evidence. The method may be shonky... maybe, but I don't think it is just looking at it.

That's a bit of an extrapolation, I didn't read anything about manners in there.

(Had to open the article, ctrl+f "manners", just to make sure I was technically correct.)
    Psalter
    Psalter
    River-God
    River-God

Post  Psalter Thu Jun 03, 2010 9:45 pm

I am offering a counterpoint to zimberly's contribution.
    ChelseaT
    ChelseaT
    Nymph
    Nymph

Post  ChelseaT Thu Jun 03, 2010 9:52 pm

I'd also like to add that there are a fucktonne of empathetic groups on facebook created by young people.

And I've sent a few wordy emails to MP's, got a letter from Paula Bennett letting me know that my issues were being considered (they've already sorted out one of the issues I'd raised).

I don't go waving a piece of cardboard on a stick under the noses of people on the street, because they can't do jack shit. I don't sit with 50 other people in a giant circle in the middle of my uni campus praying to Allah, because Allah can't do jack shit either.

Empathetic.
    ____
    ____
    Nymph
    Nymph

Post  ____ Thu Jun 03, 2010 9:54 pm

Psalter wrote:I am offering a counterpoint to zimberly's contribution.

There's a disconnect going on in my brain, and I'm not sure what it's about but it has something to do with this.

And Chelsea, facebook groups are slacktivism, not empathy.
    ChelseaT
    ChelseaT
    Nymph
    Nymph

Post  ChelseaT Thu Jun 03, 2010 10:02 pm

____ wrote:And Chelsea, facebook groups are slacktivism, not empathy.

The Boo StudyLink You Suck one was where I got Paula Bennett's email address and the encouragement to let her know what was going on.

If you've seen the SaveOurServices one or the FreeMe one, you will realise that these kids are pretty damn srs.

My initial reason for joining the StudyLink hate page was frustration at being passed around like a pass the parcel made of dog shit, but my reasons for sending the email was to ensure that no one else was made to feel the same (it was far too late to get any personal gains from it).
    ____
    ____
    Nymph
    Nymph

Post  ____ Thu Jun 03, 2010 10:05 pm

ChelseaT wrote:Words words words

...Still slacktivism...
    ydekm
    Nymph
    Nymph

Post  ydekm Thu Jun 03, 2010 10:06 pm

ChelseaT wrote:

The Boo StudyLink You Suck one was where I got Paula Bennett's email address and the encouragement to let her know what was going on.

If you've seen the SaveOurServices one or the FreeMe one, you will realise that these kids are pretty damn srs.

My initial reason for joining the StudyLink hate page was frustration at being passed around like a pass the parcel made of dog shit, but my reasons for sending the email was to ensure that no one else was made to feel the same (it was far too late to get any personal gains from it).

Isnt Ms Bennett's email public knowledge?

I could have given it to you anyway.
    ChelseaT
    ChelseaT
    Nymph
    Nymph

Post  ChelseaT Thu Jun 03, 2010 10:08 pm

____ wrote:
    ChelseaT wrote:Words words words

...Still slacktivism...

Oy vey.

I'm talking about the non-hippy ones.
    ChelseaT
    ChelseaT
    Nymph
    Nymph

Post  ChelseaT Thu Jun 03, 2010 10:09 pm

ydekm wrote:
    ChelseaT wrote:

Yes, it is. But I'd never written to an MP until that day, so I hadn't even considered there being a publicly available email address.
    ____
    ____
    Nymph
    Nymph

Post  ____ Thu Jun 03, 2010 10:15 pm

ChelseaT wrote:
    ydekm wrote:
    ChelseaT wrote:

Yes, it is. But I'd never written to an MP until that day, so I hadn't even considered there being a publicly available email address.

Lol kids these days.

I suppose it's more to do with the fact that I've worked in a government department though, so I've seen the kind of bullshit that people actually write to their ministers, that I realise MPs are contactable to the public, as opposed to someone who hasn't, who might not know that.
    ydekm
    Nymph
    Nymph

Post  ydekm Thu Jun 03, 2010 10:17 pm

Oh ok. I thought it was a given.
    ChelseaT
    ChelseaT
    Nymph
    Nymph

Post  ChelseaT Thu Jun 03, 2010 10:23 pm

ydekm wrote:Oh ok. I thought it was a given.

I had no need to find it out, nor had anybody told me.
    ydekm
    Nymph
    Nymph

Post  ydekm Thu Jun 03, 2010 10:27 pm

Must be like Kieran says... worked in government so it seems natural that MPs have email addresses... everyone is accessible by email these days.

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Mar 29, 2024 7:57 pm