The Underworld Of Lightly (& Logically) Moderated Discussion & Debate


    Store Brand

    Share
    avatar
    Waireka
    River-God
    River-God

    Re: Store Brand

    Post  Waireka on Sat May 29, 2010 8:41 pm

    ydekm wrote:My hairdresser has to straighten my hair to cut it - just because it's so thick.
    She's Iranian so she understands the dilemma of super thick straight hair. Cut it wrong and you look like a triangle head.

    Yep, I always go to hairdressers who do islanders hair or arab hairdressers.

    I had a triangle head for most of my childhood. My mother still does.
    avatar
    ChelseaT
    Nymph
    Nymph

    Re: Store Brand

    Post  ChelseaT on Sat May 29, 2010 8:42 pm

    ChelseaT wrote:
    Sassydot wrote:Best thing I EVER did for my hair was to stop using shampoo.
    Felt manky for a couple weeks, then my scalp got over it. I run a decent conditioner through it 1-2 times a week to get the dirt n stuff out, and otherwise just a bit of water.
    Hairdressers always go, wow, your hair is in such good condition for it being so curly, what shampoo do you use, and I say "I don't" Laughing

    Every hairdresser I've seen in the last five years has said something along the lines of: "Oh, you shouldn't have straightened your hair, if I wash it, it'll go curly again but I can straighten it for you afterwards if you want?"

    No. Just no. I don't own a straightener. Shut up and cut my hair.

    Sorry about the thread jack, it just makes me mad.

    I spend about $70 a week on food for myself. I have zero cooking skills and my cooking facilities are pretty shite too (I own one pot) so I can't cook anything adventurous. It's mince and mince for me, but I go through a HEAP of fruit. Mandarin season leaves me with a stained orange peeling thumb and unhappy bowels (lol Wai).
    avatar
    ChelseaT
    Nymph
    Nymph

    Re: Store Brand

    Post  ChelseaT on Sat May 29, 2010 8:44 pm

    Waireka wrote:
    ChelseaT wrote:
    Sassydot wrote:Best thing I EVER did for my hair was to stop using shampoo.
    Felt manky for a couple weeks, then my scalp got over it. I run a decent conditioner through it 1-2 times a week to get the dirt n stuff out, and otherwise just a bit of water.
    Hairdressers always go, wow, your hair is in such good condition for it being so curly, what shampoo do you use, and I say "I don't" Laughing

    Every hairdresser I've seen in the last five years has said something along the lines of: "Oh, you shouldn't have straightened your hair, if I wash it, it'll go curly again but I can straighten it for you afterwards if you want?"

    No. Just no. I don't own a straightener. Shut up and cut my hair.

    Haha flat hair.

    Honestly, it's frustrating. I was in a school production as a homeless kid and they'd teased my hair for it, by the time I got on stage it was flat again.
    avatar
    Sassydot
    Nymph
    Nymph

    Re: Store Brand

    Post  Sassydot on Sat May 29, 2010 8:44 pm

    I think hairdressers were just put on this earth to torment us.
    That's why I go to the cheap Just-Cuts type places - they're usually so overworked and underpaid that they can't be bothered making shitty small talk, and just do as I tell them because they don't believe in their abilities enough to think they know my hair better than I do.



    Oh, a fellow triangle-head, I feel your pain!
    I used to feel like that character out of the Dilbert cartoons - Alice? Something like that.
    Now my straighteners mean more to me than life itself.

    ydekm
    Nymph
    Nymph

    Re: Store Brand

    Post  ydekm on Sat May 29, 2010 8:46 pm

    ChelseaT wrote:
    Waireka wrote:
    ChelseaT wrote:
    Sassydot wrote:Best thing I EVER did for my hair was to stop using shampoo.
    Felt manky for a couple weeks, then my scalp got over it. I run a decent conditioner through it 1-2 times a week to get the dirt n stuff out, and otherwise just a bit of water.
    Hairdressers always go, wow, your hair is in such good condition for it being so curly, what shampoo do you use, and I say "I don't" Laughing

    Every hairdresser I've seen in the last five years has said something along the lines of: "Oh, you shouldn't have straightened your hair, if I wash it, it'll go curly again but I can straighten it for you afterwards if you want?"

    No. Just no. I don't own a straightener. Shut up and cut my hair.

    Haha flat hair.

    Honestly, it's frustrating. I was in a school production as a homeless kid and they'd teased my hair for it, by the time I got on stage it was flat again.

    Superfine hair. Mine is pretty fine, I just have a shitload of it. I backcombed it for an 80s party recently. It took an hourly backcombing/hairspray to stay backcombed.

    ydekm
    Nymph
    Nymph

    Re: Store Brand

    Post  ydekm on Sat May 29, 2010 8:47 pm

    Sassydot wrote:I think hairdressers were just put on this earth to torment us.
    That's why I go to the cheap Just-Cuts type places - they're usually so overworked and underpaid that they can't be bothered making shitty small talk, and just do as I tell them because they don't believe in their abilities enough to think they know my hair better than I do.



    Oh, a fellow triangle-head, I feel your pain!
    I used to feel like that character out of the Dilbert cartoons - Alice? Something like that.
    Now my straighteners mean more to me than life itself.

    I used to feel the same - but the justcuts people just dont know how to deal with my hair. I'm like "oh yeah it's really thick" and they are like "Yeah ok" and then about an hour in they are like "MAN your hair IS thick" and then two of them have to blow dry it to get it done in less than 10mins.

    So I'm sticking with Rodney Wayne now.
    avatar
    ChelseaT
    Nymph
    Nymph

    Re: Store Brand

    Post  ChelseaT on Sat May 29, 2010 8:49 pm

    ydekm wrote:
    ChelseaT wrote:
    Waireka wrote:
    ChelseaT wrote:
    Sassydot wrote:Best thing I EVER did for my hair was to stop using shampoo.
    Felt manky for a couple weeks, then my scalp got over it. I run a decent conditioner through it 1-2 times a week to get the dirt n stuff out, and otherwise just a bit of water.
    Hairdressers always go, wow, your hair is in such good condition for it being so curly, what shampoo do you use, and I say "I don't" Laughing

    Every hairdresser I've seen in the last five years has said something along the lines of: "Oh, you shouldn't have straightened your hair, if I wash it, it'll go curly again but I can straighten it for you afterwards if you want?"

    No. Just no. I don't own a straightener. Shut up and cut my hair.

    Haha flat hair.

    Honestly, it's frustrating. I was in a school production as a homeless kid and they'd teased my hair for it, by the time I got on stage it was flat again.

    Superfine hair. Mine is pretty fine, I just have a shitload of it. I backcombed it for an 80s party recently. It took an hourly backcombing/hairspray to stay backcombed.

    I have a reasonable amount of hair (hair tie usually only makes two loops) it's just ridiculously flat.
    avatar
    relict
    River-God
    River-God

    Re: Store Brand

    Post  relict on Sat May 29, 2010 8:49 pm

    $84/week is buying me mostly organic unprocessed food and eco household products. This includes $8! wholegrain organic stone oven bread such as kamut or spelt.

    ydekm
    Nymph
    Nymph

    Re: Store Brand

    Post  ydekm on Sat May 29, 2010 8:52 pm

    ChelseaT wrote:
    ydekm wrote:
    ChelseaT wrote:
    Waireka wrote:
    ChelseaT wrote:
    Sassydot wrote:Best thing I EVER did for my hair was to stop using shampoo.
    Felt manky for a couple weeks, then my scalp got over it. I run a decent conditioner through it 1-2 times a week to get the dirt n stuff out, and otherwise just a bit of water.
    Hairdressers always go, wow, your hair is in such good condition for it being so curly, what shampoo do you use, and I say "I don't" Laughing

    Every hairdresser I've seen in the last five years has said something along the lines of: "Oh, you shouldn't have straightened your hair, if I wash it, it'll go curly again but I can straighten it for you afterwards if you want?"

    No. Just no. I don't own a straightener. Shut up and cut my hair.

    Haha flat hair.

    Honestly, it's frustrating. I was in a school production as a homeless kid and they'd teased my hair for it, by the time I got on stage it was flat again.

    Superfine hair. Mine is pretty fine, I just have a shitload of it. I backcombed it for an 80s party recently. It took an hourly backcombing/hairspray to stay backcombed.

    I have a reasonable amount of hair (hair tie usually only makes two loops) it's just ridiculously flat.

    My hairties last 2 days at most due to stretching. Such a fucking pain.
    Your hair looks like a friend of mine's - who has to wash it practically every day because it's so fine .
    avatar
    Waireka
    River-God
    River-God

    Re: Store Brand

    Post  Waireka on Sat May 29, 2010 8:53 pm

    Sassydot wrote:I think hairdressers were just put on this earth to torment us.
    That's why I go to the cheap Just-Cuts type places - they're usually so overworked and underpaid that they can't be bothered making shitty small talk, and just do as I tell them because they don't believe in their abilities enough to think they know my hair better than I do.

    I'm the opposite, I either get my friends who are hairdressers to do it (very selective even then), or I go somewhere expensive and when booking I ask them to make a note that I don't want small talk. <--- works

    I used to spend $400 every 3 weeks getting my locks fried blonde, but I enjoy good service and always got it.

    Sassydot wrote:Oh, a fellow triangle-head, I feel your pain!
    I used to feel like that character out of the Dilbert cartoons - Alice? Something like that.
    Now my straighteners mean more to me than life itself.

    Mine got stolen by my nephews friend. Worst week of my life.

    ... probably the worst week of my husbands too, miserable wife, and he had no straightners either (he uses them daily, I use them every other day).

    ydekm
    Nymph
    Nymph

    Re: Store Brand

    Post  ydekm on Sat May 29, 2010 8:54 pm

    Jimmy uses hair straightners? WTF?
    avatar
    relict
    River-God
    River-God

    Re: Store Brand

    Post  relict on Sat May 29, 2010 8:56 pm

    ydekm wrote:My hairties last 2 days at most due to stretching. Such a fucking pain.

    I am most frustrated buy this. I've run out of my fave ties and I can't find new ones anywhere. All I can find now is children's bright colours or the ones that stretch uselessly within a couple of uses. The ones I had were brown and kinda toweling like (for want of a better description), and they lasted for months.

    ydekm
    Nymph
    Nymph

    Re: Store Brand

    Post  ydekm on Sat May 29, 2010 8:57 pm

    I've tried a million types.. they all die a sad death in 48hours or less.
    avatar
    relict
    River-God
    River-God

    Re: Store Brand

    Post  relict on Sat May 29, 2010 9:01 pm

    ydekm wrote:I've tried a million types.. they all die a sad death in 48hours or less.

    Perhaps it is designed obsolescence taken to an extreme.
    avatar
    Sassydot
    Nymph
    Nymph

    Re: Store Brand

    Post  Sassydot on Sat May 29, 2010 9:06 pm

    LOL I've never known of a guy to use straighteners. Even the gay guys I know wouldn't use them.


    Haven't had to use a hair tie in about 4 years, but even back then could never find good ones. The ol scrunchie wasn't too bad with some heavy-duty elastic inside, but they went out with the banana-clips
    Rolling Eyes
    avatar
    Waireka
    River-God
    River-God

    Re: Store Brand

    Post  Waireka on Sat May 29, 2010 9:07 pm

    ydekm wrote:Jimmy uses hair straightners? WTF?

    Yes, to perfect his hair, I have to say I prefer it to excessive wax, looks and feels better.

    I'm letting him make the most of it.

    Under the dye he is completely grey and it is starting to fall out.
    avatar
    ChelseaT
    Nymph
    Nymph

    Re: Store Brand

    Post  ChelseaT on Sat May 29, 2010 9:10 pm

    Haha you're making me appreciate my hair more now. I can bun it with a pen, and tie it up with a loose bit of cotton if I'm desperate. Also, humid weather does nothing.

    ydekm
    Nymph
    Nymph

    Re: Store Brand

    Post  ydekm on Sat May 29, 2010 9:15 pm

    Waireka wrote:
    ydekm wrote:Jimmy uses hair straightners? WTF?

    Yes, to perfect his hair, I have to say I prefer it to excessive wax, looks and feels better.

    I'm letting him make the most of it.

    Under the dye he is completely grey and it is starting to fall out.

    I find that extremely odd. But yeah - let him while he can I guess!

    Scott has more hair than a man should. Our kids will be loud, walking balls of hair.
    avatar
    Waireka
    River-God
    River-God

    Re: Store Brand

    Post  Waireka on Sat May 29, 2010 9:19 pm

    ydekm wrote:
    Waireka wrote:
    ydekm wrote:Jimmy uses hair straightners? WTF?

    Yes, to perfect his hair, I have to say I prefer it to excessive wax, looks and feels better.

    I'm letting him make the most of it.

    Under the dye he is completely grey and it is starting to fall out.

    I find that extremely odd. But yeah - let him while he can I guess!

    Scott has more hair than a man should. Our kids will be loud, walking balls of hair.

    Not so odd for me, I've seen plenty of guys use them. All vain image obsessed Maori boys.

    Hah, you can call your baby It.
    avatar
    Sassydot
    Nymph
    Nymph

    Re: Store Brand

    Post  Sassydot on Sat May 29, 2010 9:20 pm

    Waireka wrote:Hah, you can call your baby It.

    or Animal

    ydekm
    Nymph
    Nymph

    Re: Store Brand

    Post  ydekm on Sat May 29, 2010 9:23 pm

    Waireka wrote:
    ydekm wrote:
    Waireka wrote:
    ydekm wrote:Jimmy uses hair straightners? WTF?

    Yes, to perfect his hair, I have to say I prefer it to excessive wax, looks and feels better.

    I'm letting him make the most of it.

    Under the dye he is completely grey and it is starting to fall out.

    I find that extremely odd. But yeah - let him while he can I guess!

    Scott has more hair than a man should. Our kids will be loud, walking balls of hair.

    Not so odd for me, I've seen plenty of guys use them. All vain image obsessed Maori boys.

    Hah, you can call your baby It.

    True - none of the Maori/PI boys I know seem to do it.
    avatar
    Waireka
    River-God
    River-God

    Re: Store Brand

    Post  Waireka on Sat May 29, 2010 10:00 pm

    ydekm wrote:
    Waireka wrote:
    ydekm wrote:
    Waireka wrote:
    ydekm wrote:Jimmy uses hair straightners? WTF?

    Yes, to perfect his hair, I have to say I prefer it to excessive wax, looks and feels better.

    I'm letting him make the most of it.

    Under the dye he is completely grey and it is starting to fall out.

    I find that extremely odd. But yeah - let him while he can I guess!

    Scott has more hair than a man should. Our kids will be loud, walking balls of hair.

    Not so odd for me, I've seen plenty of guys use them. All vain image obsessed Maori boys.

    Hah, you can call your baby It.

    True - none of the Maori/PI boys I know seem to do it.

    do they do wax instead? most of the ones I know wont admit to it.

    ydekm
    Nymph
    Nymph

    Re: Store Brand

    Post  ydekm on Sat May 29, 2010 10:09 pm

    Wax in terms of hairproduct?

    Some of them, most of them (especially the PI boys) have super short hair and dont do much with it... and are totally going grey at 26. But dont dye it.
    avatar
    Waireka
    River-God
    River-God

    Re: Store Brand

    Post  Waireka on Sat May 29, 2010 10:13 pm

    ydekm wrote:Wax in terms of hairproduct?

    Some of them, most of them (especially the PI boys) have super short hair and dont do much with it... and are totally going grey at 26. But dont dye it.

    The ones I know are vain. Most have a bit of hair to play with.
    avatar
    relict
    River-God
    River-God

    Re: Store Brand

    Post  relict on Sun May 30, 2010 5:08 am

    ydekm wrote:most of them (especially the PI boys) have super short hair and dont do much with it... and are totally going grey at 26. But dont dye it.

    I have much respect for those who choose not to dye their grey hair (male or female) so long as they continue to keep it clean and an age-appropriate style.

    Sponsored content

    Re: Store Brand

    Post  Sponsored content


      Current date/time is Thu Sep 21, 2017 5:02 pm