Tartarus

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Underworld Of Lightly (& Logically) Moderated Discussion & Debate

+8
woody67
izzi
Sassydot
83T'na
ChelseaT
relict
ydekm
Waireka
12 posters

Store Brand

Waireka
    Waireka
    River-God
    River-God

Store Brand Empty Store Brand

Post  Waireka Sat May 29, 2010 7:51 pm

When shopping, what 'store brand' products will you not buy?

I wont buy store brand hair products, toilet paper, potato chips, fizzy, juice and icecream (I may think of more later).
    ydekm
    Nymph
    Nymph

Store Brand Empty Re: Store Brand

Post  ydekm Sat May 29, 2010 7:59 pm

I've never thought about it but...I dont usually buy storebrand - maybe storebrand flour and budget brand butter? That's about it.

Apart from the fact it is never the cheaper option for my groceries.... we dont buy alot of junk food/chips/biscuits, which is where I think you'd usually make savings by going store-brand.

I buy hair products at the hairdresser, toilet paper on special (so bulk amounts of a good brand), potato chips so rarely I may as well get the ones I love, fizzy drink rarely (and it would be Coke if we did), juice never, and icecream so rarely I may as well go super flash (and added bonus, smaller packaging).

Our main spend (outiside fruit and vege and meat - not from supermarket) items are tinned veges, pasta, baking stuff, cheese, butter, coffee, bread, and lunch stuff (bread, ham, museli/fruit bars).

We try and spend $90 a week at the supermarket - and the rest on fruit and vege/meat.
    relict
    relict
    River-God
    River-God

Post  relict Sat May 29, 2010 8:03 pm

Waireka wrote:When shopping, what 'store brand' products will you not buy?

I wont buy store brand hair products, toilet paper, potato chips, fizzy, juice and icecream (I may think of more later).

There is none I would never buy if they fit my other criteria. For example:
    * if I buy juice, I like freshly squeezed, not reconstituted. I'd rather buy any brand fresh than good brand reconstituted
    * I'd rather buy any brand local or organic or in glass or with an ingredient list that makes me happy, than good brand without (to try, but if I tried and found some reason against, like taste or quality, then I'd look further next time)

I don't buy any of the store brand products you mentioned.
    ChelseaT
    ChelseaT
    Nymph
    Nymph

Post  ChelseaT Sat May 29, 2010 8:06 pm

My luscious locks are all thanks to the 20L vat of Budget Shampoo. When my mum came to visit she was like "can I use your shampoo and conditioner?"

Wtf is conditioner?
    relict
    relict
    River-God
    River-God

Post  relict Sat May 29, 2010 8:06 pm

ydekm wrote:We try and spend $90 a week at the supermarket - and the rest on fruit and vege/meat.

How much would you spend total per adult per week, if that is not too nosey? Others can answer too, if I may thread jack.
    Waireka
    Waireka
    River-God
    River-God

Post  Waireka Sat May 29, 2010 8:08 pm

ydekm wrote:Our main spend (outiside fruit and vege and meat - not from supermarket) items are tinned veges, pasta, baking stuff, cheese, butter, coffee, bread, and lunch stuff (bread, ham, museli/fruit bars).

I get homebrand pasta (for quick pasta), baking stuff, cheese, butter and bread.
    ydekm
    Nymph
    Nymph

Post  ydekm Sat May 29, 2010 8:10 pm

relict wrote:
    ydekm wrote:We try and spend $90 a week at the supermarket - and the rest on fruit and vege/meat.

How much would you spend total per adult per week, if that is not too nosey? Others can answer too, if I may thread jack.

Total? Around $70 per week per adult(2) which is 7 breakfasts, 7 lunches, 7 dinners. Can be more depending on the price of fruit and vege but we try to eat in season.
    ydekm
    Nymph
    Nymph

Post  ydekm Sat May 29, 2010 8:11 pm

ChelseaT wrote:My luscious locks are all thanks to the 20L vat of Budget Shampoo. When my mum came to visit she was like "can I use your shampoo and conditioner?"

Wtf is conditioner?

I have really sensitive skin so I have to spend a bit more on cosmetics sadly. Otherwise I would totally join you.
    Waireka
    Waireka
    River-God
    River-God

Post  Waireka Sat May 29, 2010 8:11 pm

I spend $160 a week (not inc. fruit and vege, we get that free).

$60 is spent on formula, $25 on V.

We have meat with every meal (even breakfast when we actually eat breakfast), which bumps it up I guess.
    relict
    relict
    River-God
    River-God

Post  relict Sat May 29, 2010 8:11 pm

relict wrote:How much would you spend total per adult per week, if that is not too nosey? Others can answer too, if I may thread jack.

The reason I'm asking is I used to not budget, and spend anything, and justify it by saying some of the stuff would last for several weeks and I'd spend less next time. Haha!
    83T'na
    83T'na
    Nymph
    Nymph

Post  83T'na Sat May 29, 2010 8:12 pm

What do you mean when you say 'store brand'?

I buy a lot of Pam's baking products, but that's only because I usually shop at Pak n' Save. Budget butter is just a good and usually cheaper than others.

Price is my first criteria, unless I want something like baked beans or spaghetti - I can't stand the 'store brand' recipe and always buy Watties, if it's on special.
    I'm the same with hair products and toothpaste - you never know what's in the cheap brands.
    Waireka
    Waireka
    River-God
    River-God

Post  Waireka Sat May 29, 2010 8:12 pm

Oops, that's for 4 adults.

ydekm wrote:
    ChelseaT wrote:My luscious locks are all thanks to the 20L vat of Budget Shampoo. When my mum came to visit she was like "can I use your shampoo and conditioner?"

Wtf is conditioner?

I have really sensitive skin so I have to spend a bit more on cosmetics sadly. Otherwise I would totally join you.

I have really african hair, so I have to spend huge amounts on hair products.
    ChelseaT
    ChelseaT
    Nymph
    Nymph

Post  ChelseaT Sat May 29, 2010 8:13 pm

Waireka wrote:
    ydekm wrote:Our main spend (outiside fruit and vege and meat - not from supermarket) items are tinned veges, pasta, baking stuff, cheese, butter, coffee, bread, and lunch stuff (bread, ham, museli/fruit bars).

I get homebrand pasta (for quick pasta), baking stuff, cheese, butter and bread.

I've just remembered someone telling me about Homebrand products being the most volatile in regards to quality. I think they said that their contracts (I don't know the term for it) is only a year long, so one year you can be getting Watties baked beans and the next year it'll be something really shit. Pams from Pak n Payforbags have a 10 year (or some other equally long time) contract so you know that if their product is shit (or grand), it's not going to change for a while.
    ydekm
    Nymph
    Nymph

Post  ydekm Sat May 29, 2010 8:14 pm

We shop at Pak n Save - so we have Budget or Pams as the equivilent 'storebrand' I guess?

But it's not usually cheaper - so I dont often buy it.

Pasta - there is a blue brand that is usually the cheapest (I'll only eat fettuchine so that's all we buy).
    Tinned veges - usually Watties or italian brand tomatoes (I swear they taste better) but Budget brand for Creamed or Whole Kernal Corn.
    Butter, flour, baking powder is all Pams/Budget.
    relict
    relict
    River-God
    River-God

Post  relict Sat May 29, 2010 8:16 pm

ChelseaT wrote: Pams from Pak n Payforbags have a 10 year (or some other equally long time) contract so you know that if their product is shit (or grand), it's not going to change for a while.

1. LOL
    2. Interesting! Didn't know that.
    ydekm
    Nymph
    Nymph

Post  ydekm Sat May 29, 2010 8:17 pm

We've just done a massive rebudget because we were spending an excess of $600 a month on food for 2 people.
    So we shop for fruit/vege and meat first - and aim to have one or two meat free meals a week (easy in soup weather like this). And it makes the supermarket shop less impulse buy and more planned.
    Sassydot
    Sassydot
    Nymph
    Nymph

Post  Sassydot Sat May 29, 2010 8:18 pm

I buy Store Brand just about anything Laughing Some stuff Home Brand, some stuff Signature Range/Select.
    There are a few things I won't buy of Home Brand, eg their bacon, but I buy the Signature Range bacon (streaky) cos it's made by beehive. Unless Beehive happens to be cheaper that day.

Oh, Select frozen broccoli is FOUL, won't buy that again.
    And I don't think I'd buy the Home Brand meat pies, but I'll buy the Pams ones if I happen to go to New World and they're the cheapest.

I'm not too fussy, it often comes down to what's cheapest overall on the day.

I used to manage the chilled/frozen section and have a lot to do with the dry goods section, of Foodtown in Hamilton, so I know for the Progressive chain, who makes what.

OH I thought of one. Baked beans. I will not buy anything but Watties baked beans.

Relict - we spend $250-270 a fortnight for 2 adults and 2 kids. I just get everything from the supermarket. They eat more than I do so its effectively 4 adults LOL. That includes their lunches and usually mine, but Ross usually buys his lunch. Oh and the cats, but they're like $15 a fortnight so not a biggie.
    Mostly all of that is food though, I don't buy a lot in the way of the health & beauty aisle nor the cleaning aisle. I make a bottle of spray n wipe last MONTHS.
    Laughing
    Waireka
    Waireka
    River-God
    River-God

Post  Waireka Sat May 29, 2010 8:18 pm

Hmmm, our Home Brand products are usually significantly cheaper. So I definitely buy a lot of Home Brand.

Our Home Brand bread tastes better than the $4 loaves and it's only $1.
    ydekm
    Nymph
    Nymph

Post  ydekm Sat May 29, 2010 8:21 pm

Waireka wrote:Hmmm, our Home Brand products are usually significantly cheaper. So I definitely buy a lot of Home Brand.

Our Home Brand bread tastes better than the $4 loaves and it's only $1.

I splurge on bread - otherwise I wont eat it. Unless it's for cheese rolls or a spare loaf in the freezer for desperate times.
    Sassydot
    Sassydot
    Nymph
    Nymph

Post  Sassydot Sat May 29, 2010 8:23 pm

Waireka wrote:Oops, that's for 4 adults.

ydekm wrote:

Wtf is conditioner?

I have really african hair, so I have to spend huge amounts on hair products.

Best thing I EVER did for my hair was to stop using shampoo.
    Felt manky for a couple weeks, then my scalp got over it. I run a decent conditioner through it 1-2 times a week to get the dirt n stuff out, and otherwise just a bit of water.
    Hairdressers always go, wow, your hair is in such good condition for it being so curly, what shampoo do you use, and I say "I don't" Laughing
    relict
    relict
    River-God
    River-God

Post  relict Sat May 29, 2010 8:24 pm

Sassydot wrote:I make a bottle of spray n wipe last MONTHS.
    Laughing

Yep, me too. I only use it if something won't clean with water first, or water-detergent - ie, usually if something is oily or greasy, which it usually isn't.

On the other hand, cleaning is so much easier with no kids in the house.
    Waireka
    Waireka
    River-God
    River-God

Post  Waireka Sat May 29, 2010 8:28 pm

Sassydot wrote:Best thing I EVER did for my hair was to stop using shampoo.
    Felt manky for a couple weeks, then my scalp got over it. I run a decent conditioner through it 1-2 times a week to get the dirt n stuff out, and otherwise just a bit of water.
    Hairdressers always go, wow, your hair is in such good condition for it being so curly, what shampoo do you use, and I say "I don't" Laughing

Curly haired people don't believe that when I tell them.

I straighten mine, so I like it to be really clean when I do it. It only gets washed every 1.5 weeks. Like you said, the scalp deals with it fine, it doesn't look bad until the last day (as long as I don't exercise or touch it too much).

Hairdressers are always suprised by this too, saves me a fortune and time on not washing it daily too.
    ChelseaT
    ChelseaT
    Nymph
    Nymph

Post  ChelseaT Sat May 29, 2010 8:35 pm

Every hairdresser I've seen in the last five years has said something along the lines of: "Oh, you shouldn't have straightened your hair, if I wash it, it'll go curly again but I can straighten it for you afterwards if you want?"

No. Just no. I don't own a straightener. Shut up and cut my hair.
    Waireka
    Waireka
    River-God
    River-God

Post  Waireka Sat May 29, 2010 8:37 pm

ChelseaT wrote:

Every hairdresser I've seen in the last five years has said something along the lines of: "Oh, you shouldn't have straightened your hair, if I wash it, it'll go curly again but I can straighten it for you afterwards if you want?"

Haha flat hair.
    ydekm
    Nymph
    Nymph

Post  ydekm Sat May 29, 2010 8:39 pm

ChelseaT wrote:

My hairdresser has to straighten my hair to cut it - just because it's so thick.
    She's Iranian so she understands the dilemma of super thick straight hair. Cut it wrong and you look like a triangle head.

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Wed Mar 20, 2024 12:04 am