Tartarus

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Underworld Of Lightly (& Logically) Moderated Discussion & Debate

+7
ydekm
____
Sassydot
relict
izzi
83T'na
Waireka
11 posters

izzi izzi izzi (stupid character minimum)

Waireka
    Waireka
    River-God
    River-God

izzi izzi izzi (stupid character minimum) Empty izzi izzi izzi (stupid character minimum)

Post  Waireka Sun May 23, 2010 5:47 pm

Just curious how common it is to be a non driver in our car-centric country.

I don't drive but people are always surprised when I say I don't. I think they just assume everyone drives.

I got my licence after moving to Australia (21).

In High School my parents refused to teach me, I learnt driving a 'farm car' around a paddock, but only learnt how to make it move, not how to use it on a road (it was manual).

Moved to Wellington at 17, lived in Petone in an apartment above the bus stop, buses came every 15 minutes at least, never needed a car.

My Nana was here a few weeks ago and I drove her down to the mall, she said 'this is the first time I've been driven around my one of my grandkids'.

I realised then that I was the only one out of all my cousins with a licence. The other 4 live in Wellington and are all old enough to get a licence, but public transport and their jobs don't require them to bother.

On Mums side I have 21 cousins old enough to drive. Only 5 of us do.
    83T'na
    83T'na
    Nymph
    Nymph

izzi izzi izzi (stupid character minimum) Empty Re: izzi izzi izzi (stupid character minimum)

Post  83T'na Sun May 23, 2010 5:58 pm

I was the only one of my parents' children to pay for their own lessons. Everyone else got them as a 'right of passage'.

I was especially pleased to pass my practical on the first go because my older brother had to try twice. Laughing
    izzi
    izzi
    Nymph
    Nymph

izzi izzi izzi (stupid character minimum) Empty Re: izzi izzi izzi (stupid character minimum)

Post  izzi Sun May 23, 2010 6:43 pm

That's interesting Waireka. So many non drivers.But through lack of necessity perhaps?

I often feel like an oddity because I don't drive ( i can drive to save a life but I absolutely hate driving). Almost as if you are a lesser person for not doing it.
    relict
    relict
    River-God
    River-God

Post  relict Sun May 23, 2010 6:51 pm

I got my full license at 25, but I didn't buy my first car until I was
    30 (though I still cycle, walk, ride-share and take public transport
    when feasible). I'd be very happy if it would last until hybrids
    become quite a bit better, and second-hand ones (of fourth
    generation or later) are readily available.

My car is only a
    1.3L, without any bells or whistles such as electric windows, and
    I'm happy with that, but I really really like it when I occasionally
    get to drive someone else's larger, safer, more modern car,
    with air conditioning and altimeter. Smile
    Sassydot
    Sassydot
    Nymph
    Nymph

Post  Sassydot Mon May 24, 2010 4:00 pm

My husband will never get a license (he's albino so legally blind).
    I grew up in Wellington, so I totally get the no need for a car thing there.
    On the one hand its certainly cheaper to only run one car, on the other, I fucking hate going to Bunnings!

He gets by OK, sure it would be a lot easier if he could drive, but we manage.
    Most people who don't know just assume he chooses to bike everywhere.

Its a bit difficult at his work, he doesn't go to some social events, because of transport home being an issue when they're not in town, and he gets harassed for not being "one of the team" but they also don't bother to try and find a solution. Rolling Eyes
    Waireka
    Waireka
    River-God
    River-God

Post  Waireka Mon May 24, 2010 4:12 pm

Albino? Cool!

I know nothing about Albinos, never realised it caused sight issues, what a pain!
    Sassydot
    Sassydot
    Nymph
    Nymph

Post  Sassydot Mon May 24, 2010 4:29 pm

Yeah it effects the retinas (at the back of the eye, as opposed to the lens with most people who have bad eyesight), so can't be corrected with glasses.

Hey it has one thing going for it - he NEVER has to be sober driver Laughing
    He offers, but for some strange reason, no one's keen... scratch
    ____
    ____
    Nymph
    Nymph

Post  ____ Mon May 24, 2010 4:37 pm

Sassydot wrote:Yeah it effects the retinas (at the back of the eye, as opposed to the lens with most people who have bad eyesight), so can't be corrected with glasses.

Hey it has one thing going for it - he NEVER has to be sober driver Laughing
    He offers, but for some strange reason, no one's keen... scratch

I didn't know your husband was albino.
    ydekm
    Nymph
    Nymph

Post  ydekm Mon May 24, 2010 5:32 pm

I dont have my full... and I'm 25.
    The only reason I got my restricted was because I found out my exboyfriend was cheating on me, bought a car on finance where part of the deal was I had to get my restricted - they booked it for me - and I kept changing the date... so the finance company called to say they would immbolize my car if I didnt go get my restricted.

I really should sit my full now, but I get heart-palpatation-y even thinking about it... which is ridiculous, I am a safe driver and as long as I didnt do something stupid out of nerves, I would pass easily.
    83T'na
    83T'na
    Nymph
    Nymph

Post  83T'na Mon May 24, 2010 5:35 pm

ydekm wrote:I dont have my full... and I'm 25.
    The only reason I got my restricted was because I found out my exboyfriend was cheating on me, bought a car on finance where part of the deal was I had to get my restricted - they booked it for me - and I kept changing the date... so the finance company called to say they would immbolize my car if I didnt go get my restricted.

I really should sit my full now, but I get heart-palpatation-y even thinking about it... which is ridiculous, I am a safe driver and as long as I didnt do something stupid out of nerves, I would pass easily.

How you do can often be dependant on something as silly as what side of the bed the inspector got up on.

Don't let me scare you off though - do it. I've been on and on at my son who is 25 in November to get his for AGES.
    ydekm
    Nymph
    Nymph

Post  ydekm Mon May 24, 2010 5:38 pm

Yeah it's more the control issue... like what if they tell me to pull a u-turn and I dont feel safe doing it, so I refuse...

which is retarded... worst case scenario I would refuse and fail. Or argue about it and fail.
    dechire
    dechire
    Mortal
    Mortal

Post  dechire Mon May 24, 2010 6:04 pm

ydekm wrote:I dont have my full... and I'm 25.

The full test is a lot easier than the restricted one. I was pretty panicky as well before I did my full (mainly because I had a massive bout of glandular fever and couldn't talk when most of the test is commentary) but it is honestly very easy. I would do it somewhere other than Dorkland (I assume that's where you are) though.
    Summoner
    Summoner
    Nymph
    Nymph

Post  Summoner Mon May 24, 2010 6:20 pm

When I went for my full licence I was so much more stressed then I was when I did my exams at school and eventually Uni...

I couldn't sleep the night before. I passed it with flying colours though (no surprise there... I had been on my resticted and driving long enough)

I guess it was just the thought of it and I still find it weird that I freaked out more about that than anything else I have ever done and that includes job interviews.
    ____
    ____
    Nymph
    Nymph

Post  ____ Mon May 24, 2010 6:29 pm

I've had my full licence since I was 17 because I'm awesome.
    Sassydot
    Sassydot
    Nymph
    Nymph

Post  Sassydot Mon May 24, 2010 6:37 pm

Ah, well, now you know. You must have not looked at my facebook photos then.

I was a very large 38-or-so weeks pregnant when I sat my full. I think the poor woman just wanted to be done with ASAP cos the whole test took about 15 minutes, I was told it would be an hour. And I passed, even though she told me at one intersection to go straight through, but I turned because I was so used to turning there... then a bit further down the road she asked why I did it! Haha thought for sure I was gonna fail it cos we went straight back to the VTNZ but nope, passed.
    I got my learners when I turned 18 so I'd have ID, did my restricted a bit before I turned 20 cos we moved out the ass end of nowhere and one of us had to drive... then was 21 and a half I guess when I sat my full.
    the distant one
    the distant one
    Nymph
    Nymph

Post  the distant one Mon May 24, 2010 6:47 pm

Sweet, noted: feign pregnancy

FFS! YDEKM
    ____
    ____
    Nymph
    Nymph

Post  ____ Mon May 24, 2010 7:11 pm

Remember not to take your penis with you if you're going to feign pregnancy. That shit gives it away every time.
    83T'na
    83T'na
    Nymph
    Nymph

Post  83T'na Mon May 24, 2010 8:22 pm

____ wrote:Remember not to take your penis with you if you're going to feign pregnancy. That shit gives it away every time.
    Laughing

It might also pay to find some over ripe melons somewhere. Very Happy
    Sassydot
    Sassydot
    Nymph
    Nymph

Post  Sassydot Tue May 25, 2010 8:17 am

Although you could still try it - you'd be sure most people would be too worried about being polite to question you!

And have a full water balloon concealed somewhere for if you want a really quick exit...
    Psalter
    Psalter
    River-God
    River-God

Post  Psalter Tue Jun 01, 2010 11:22 am

I went to Primary School with your husband sassy.
    Sassydot
    Sassydot
    Nymph
    Nymph

Post  Sassydot Tue Jun 01, 2010 11:45 am

Smile small world
    Apparently the area is pretty crap now Suspect
    Psalter
    Psalter
    River-God
    River-God

Post  Psalter Tue Jun 01, 2010 11:54 am

It was pretty crap then.

WBP right?

RG
    Sassydot
    Sassydot
    Nymph
    Nymph

Post  Sassydot Tue Jun 01, 2010 12:15 pm

RG yes
    Merivale though.
    His sisters went to WBP from 92 onwards I think?
    Psalter
    Psalter
    River-God
    River-God

Post  Psalter Tue Jun 01, 2010 12:37 pm

Oh, well I went to TBC with him... he is a year or two older than me though.

Maybe I just saw him around WBP with my brothers attending.
    Sassydot
    Sassydot
    Nymph
    Nymph

Post  Sassydot Tue Jun 01, 2010 12:45 pm

You'd have been about the same year as his sister then at WBP, who is also alb., which would explain the familiarity.

WB is weird, some of the shittiest area in Tga and then some of the flashest pretty much across the road.

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Apr 19, 2024 9:57 pm