The Underworld Of Lightly (& Logically) Moderated Discussion & Debate


    Flat tack left the building?

    Share
    avatar
    Psalter
    River-God
    River-God

    Flat tack left the building?

    Post  Psalter on Wed Mar 24, 2010 4:13 pm

    How do we know this?

    I checked her posts, and though she said that she can't be fucked anymore, I think that was more an indication of general feelings of CBFedness.

    Have you gone? Are you here?

    BTW. The whole line you have going now ("children aren't second-class citizens") irritates me. I had a kid today threaten to get me fired for daring to expect that she didn't rip pages out of school books while yelling at another student during silent reading. How dare I tell her to do stuff? You can't just tell adults to do stuff.
    avatar
    Bardan
    Giant
    Giant

    Re: Flat tack left the building?

    Post  Bardan on Wed Mar 24, 2010 10:59 pm

    We didn't want to 'lead the witness' by saying I was her partner. Wanted to see the reaction to my character on its own merits, and so we have.

    It has blown a few illusions about the kind of people you choose to be, I think. At the start there was excitement, hope that Diaz and Psalter would engage in debate because they're two of the deep thinkers. But then, when you did, it wasn't the civilised discourse we had desired.

    Of course it's not unbiased. I'm her guy and have been rejected and insulted by her chosen company. And, for that matter, I do have all these big words and unchecked passive aggression that is easily provoked.

    Yet, there has objectively been a very dirty attack on the values being transmitted from our shared IP address (check it) that we can't take. I'm pretty used to this sort of rejection and tribalism but for some reason she expected better and thus has been let down.

    Those are my words at any rate. But I think that's as good as you're going to get.
    avatar
    Summoner
    Nymph
    Nymph

    Re: Flat tack left the building?

    Post  Summoner on Thu Mar 25, 2010 2:16 am

    I've obviously missed shit in here...(and now I get what the other thread was about)

    but OMFG seriously?

    If you've been "rejected" and/or "insulted" by anyone here then it is your problem... look at the why.

    She shouldn't have left because people were not liking you.

    This place isn't meant to be a place where everyone agrees with everything everyone else says/does... fuck it would be another friggin zamfucka if that were the case and I highly doubt we are all morons in here.
    avatar
    Anjewel
    Nymph
    Nymph

    Re: Flat tack left the building?

    Post  Anjewel on Thu Mar 25, 2010 10:38 am

    bullseye wrote:I can understand a person wanting to be accepted on their own merits and not just because they are someone else's partner.

    But, while I'm certainly not the sharpest tack in this box, I dislike dishonesty and this was downright deceitful.

    Bullshit...Where is the deceit and dishonesty...?...Why should he have to declare who his partner was here...?...
    avatar
    Waireka
    River-God
    River-God

    Re: Flat tack left the building?

    Post  Waireka on Thu Mar 25, 2010 10:59 am

    Anjewel wrote:
    bullseye wrote:I can understand a person wanting to be accepted on their own merits and not just because they are someone else's partner.

    But, while I'm certainly not the sharpest tack in this box, I dislike dishonesty and this was downright deceitful.

    Bullshit...Where is the deceit and dishonesty...?...Why should he have to declare who his partner was here...?...

    I agree. Some members here are under different handles from their SC handles and don't share their SC ID with all of us, dishonest & deceitful? No.

    I can definitely understand wanting to leave details out about myself to avoid being defined by those (irrelevant) details.
    avatar
    ____
    Nymph
    Nymph

    Re: Flat tack left the building?

    Post  ____ on Thu Mar 25, 2010 11:13 am

    Anjewel wrote:
    bullseye wrote:I can understand a person wanting to be accepted on their own merits and not just because they are someone else's partner.

    But, while I'm certainly not the sharpest tack in this box, I dislike dishonesty and this was downright deceitful.

    Bullshit...Where is the deceit and dishonesty...?...Why should he have to declare who his partner was here...?...

    I'd say in the "definition of stupidity" thread where bardan carried on a disingenuous conversation with flat_tack as if he was some complete stranger.
    avatar
    Waireka
    River-God
    River-God

    Re: Flat tack left the building?

    Post  Waireka on Thu Mar 25, 2010 11:22 am

    ____ wrote:
    Anjewel wrote:
    bullseye wrote:I can understand a person wanting to be accepted on their own merits and not just because they are someone else's partner.

    But, while I'm certainly not the sharpest tack in this box, I dislike dishonesty and this was downright deceitful.

    Bullshit...Where is the deceit and dishonesty...?...Why should he have to declare who his partner was here...?...

    I'd say in the "definition of stupidity" thread where bardan carried on a disingenuous conversation with flat_tack as if he was some complete stranger.

    Lol, it did read a bit like Farmers conversations with her multis.
    avatar
    Anjewel
    Nymph
    Nymph

    Re: Flat tack left the building?

    Post  Anjewel on Thu Mar 25, 2010 11:24 am

    I'd say in the "definition of stupidity" thread where bardan carried on a disingenuous conversation with flat_tack as if he was some complete stranger.

    I totally got that "definition of stupidity" thread...Thats when I realised who Bardan was, when everyone was doing a Dream_Builder on him...
    avatar
    Psalter
    River-God
    River-God

    Re: Flat tack left the building?

    Post  Psalter on Thu Mar 25, 2010 3:28 pm

    Anjewel wrote:
    bullseye wrote:I can understand a person wanting to be accepted on their own merits and not just because they are someone else's partner.

    But, while I'm certainly not the sharpest tack in this box, I dislike dishonesty and this was downright deceitful.

    Bullshit...Where is the deceit and dishonesty...?...Why should he have to declare who his partner was here...?...

    I agree entirely
    avatar
    flat_tack
    Giant
    Giant

    Re: Flat tack left the building?

    Post  flat_tack on Thu Mar 25, 2010 9:50 pm

    You're the goddamned bane of my existence, Psalter. Laughing

    I was quite happy to ignore everything but this:

    BTW. The whole line you have going now ("children aren't second-class citizens") irritates me. I had a kid today threaten to get me fired for daring to expect that she didn't rip pages out of school books while yelling at another student during silent reading. How dare I tell her to do stuff? You can't just tell adults to do stuff.

    Has been bugging me all day.

    First, I"m pleased that my saying kids aren't second class citizens has made an impression, even if it irritates you.

    Second, I still don't think she is second class. I guess we can all put ourselves in the position of that girl, right? Bit of empathy first.

    If I can get inside her head (and am quite possibly wrong in this because I"m only going by 5 lines of text) I'd say that she's rebelling against "authority". It's an easy conclusion to come to because, well, most kids do around puberty. It's when they get this damned stupid idea that they're not second class and if adults don't treat them with respect, why the hell should they reciprocate?

    She wants to stop being powerless. I'd say she has parents who're forever telling her what to do and forcing her to do stuff rather than let natural consequences happen, eg: riding her arse to get to school on time instead of letting her be late and feel bad about it, or yelling at her to pick her dirty clothes up off the floor instead of allowing her to run out of clean clothes. I would assume she doesn't have responsibilities befitting her age.

    Anyway, tangent aside, she wants to stop being powerless, so she's trying to take it back. It's a desperate attempt and she's not very good at it, right? But she managed to get you right where it hurts. Your job security.
    (coughifeducationwereprivatisedyoucouldrefusetoteachhercough)

    I don't know how you handled the situation - probably you did all you were able, and no one can ask any more. Were it me, I'd ban her from silent reading. Probably you're not allowed to do that. But my reasoning is that 1) it's a fricken privilege to use books that aren't your own and 2) we don't want you around when you're behaving that way. I know you're going to say she obviously didn't want to do it anyway, but I disagree. I think she only didn't want to be forced to do anything.

    I read for fun and I love it. But if someone held a gun to my head and told me to read, I'd be pissed off. Cos I'm not a second class citizen. See where I'm coming from?

    Anyway, my impression is that she was feeling like one anyway when she got to school and it was a straw and camel scenario. Not your fuck up, but a societal one.

    The easiest way to get my kids to read (and they're the "books are boring" type) is to ask them not to be around if they're going to make noise when I'm reading, and to not specify what they should read.

    Just my take anyway.

    Can you tell me what you did and what the outcomes were? I'm interested. I often think it takes too much effort to use voluntary and empathetic methods on kids when they're forced to be in your care, and neither of you have a say in the matter. For that matter, it's pretty hard when that's not the case.

    I fail lots, but I try.

    All I know is that kids are privy to the same emotions as adults and it's only that they're small and need our help that make us think it's OK to dominate them.
    avatar
    flat_tack
    Giant
    Giant

    Re: Flat tack left the building?

    Post  flat_tack on Thu Mar 25, 2010 9:56 pm

    In a nutshell.

    I think they're not second class, but we make em that way.







    Also... of course I'm lurking - Bardan's still posting, right?
    avatar
    Psalter
    River-God
    River-God

    Re: Flat tack left the building?

    Post  Psalter on Thu Mar 25, 2010 10:54 pm

    Yes, I broke you!

    I was broken on SC by Jordan15... it hurt.

    I will answer tomorrow when I am less inebriated.
    avatar
    Bardan
    Giant
    Giant

    Re: Flat tack left the building?

    Post  Bardan on Fri Mar 26, 2010 7:00 am

    OMG you did break her!

    But just because Bugs Bunny has to go for the carrot (great carrot BTW) doesn't mean Fudd is going to catch his wabbit. Great post, hon.

    I read for fun and I love it. But if someone held a gun to my head and told me to read, I'd be pissed off. Cos I'm not a second class citizen. See where I'm coming from?

    That's how it went down the first time I got into trouble at high school. "Form-class" time, usually chatter, was reading time for me until the forced the class one week. I got lines which I refused to do, double lines, tripple....spoken to by the House dean...yet in a voluntary situation I was all over Lord of the Rings or stories about Bardan the Axeman!

    We must ask others to do things, never tell them to. It's not the activity they reject but the servitude. And, the last thing we want is for children to associate reading, learning, and self-responsibility tasks with slavery. If they do you'd expect the transition to adulthood's reality to be marked with the (teenage!) eruptions of defered maintenence.

    Sponsored content

    Re: Flat tack left the building?

    Post  Sponsored content


      Current date/time is Tue Dec 12, 2017 8:05 am