The Underworld Of Lightly (& Logically) Moderated Discussion & Debate

I Trolled a Student Allowance FB Page

ChelseaT
    Nymph
    Nymph

I Trolled a Student Allowance FB Page

Post  ChelseaT on Fri Mar 12, 2010 10:01 am

I wrote:Firstly, some of you really need to sort out your spelling and grammar. To call yourselves the future of New Zealand with such shoddy writing skills is ridiculous. No wonder you don't get taken seriously. Second, you're all quick to judge the current system, but not one of you has come up with a solution that is any less flawed than what's already in place. Thirdly, those without a student allowance seem to be managing just fine. I've yet to meet someone who can't attend university because they don't have the money. If you're so broke, get a job.

Other guy wrote:Omg, troll alert! You can always tell the trolls because the first thing they usually do is attack other people for small spelling and grammer mistakes.

I wrote:Small spelling and grammar mistakes? No, that would assume I could read the damn posts in the first place. Numbers are a useless substitute for letters. Typos and mistakes are easily forgiven and ignored. Stupidity, not so much.

Someone else wrote:Get over it if you dont like the group you dont haft to be a member

I wrote:"Amagad! Debate, discussion! Get it away from me!"

Other guy wrote:Okay Troll, answer my question... Why should my parents income prevent me from being eligible for the Student Allowance, when I do not live with them and they have nothing to do with my life anymore?

I wrote:Because they are financially capable of supporting you. It's not the governments fault they don't.

Other guy wrote:Yes okay, but they don't. For goodness sake, we are not children anymore; we are adults. Our parents should not have to continue supporting us when we are old enough to drink/gamble/get married etc and do not live with them. So because of the governments greed (yes our governemt is getting greedier every year) we are denied the support until we are 1/4 of a century old.

I wrote:"Give me free money! Oh and the government is greedy." Please correct me if I read that wrong.
    I'm going to quote someone else here, forgive my laziness but it is my bed time, and this person says it better than I.
    "The age threshold is fine as it stands.
    International experience shows that if the age threshold was dropped then parents – including wealthy parents – would simply fund less of their children’s education. That increases the costs for the state and, ultimately, makes it even more difficult to fund students from poor backgrounds.... See more
    There are lots of problems with US higher education funding, but one of it’s greatest strengths is that parents pay for their kids education. This is one of the reasons why the US has such a high college participation rate. Other countries are finding it very difficult to get expand participation because parents are too used to governments funding 100% of the costs."
    Yes she's talking about 'age' here, but the point is still valid for our discussion.
    Also, your parents made at least one decision that lead to you existing, don't you think they should take a little responsibility?

Other guy wrote:Haha, you just don't get it do you? They... do... not... support... us!

I wrote:But. They. Should. Because. They. Can. If you were to get the allowance, you would be taking funds that would normally be assigned to students who have ZERO possibility of financial aid from their parents. Just because your parents are cheap, doesn't mean they don't have a responsibility to put their child in a position to succeed before withdrawing financial support.

I wrote:Anyway, dearest brick wall, it was nice to smash my head against you. Good night.

Other guy wrote:Honestly, you are not even trying to understand.
    1. Why should they have to? Should my grandparents have to support my parents? Where do we draw the line? Where the government says? Our greedy government?
    2. Even if they should (which they shouldn't) they don't. Plain and simple, they don't.
    Going on and on that they should is not going to change the fact that they... "surprise" don't.
    Anyway, enough of this. Need sleep. Test tomorrow.

I wrote:Sorry, I just can't resist...
    1. Who gave birth to you? The government or your parents?
    That's why they should have to. No, your grandparents have obviously already set your parents up to be financially independant.
    2. A test? Meaning you're at uni? Without an allowance? And your parents don't support you? How the hell do you have the internet if you're so poor? What do you need more money for? Matching socks? There are more worthy people than you that need this money.

Other guy wrote:Well I get this little thing called Living Costs. Sucking thing is I have to pay it all back.

I wrote:Dude, you're going to get a huge fright if you ever need to get a mortgage.

Fun game anyway. I posted a thread in SC (and here I'm sure) saying it was stupid that my parents income was still tested despite being independent from them, going against someone that had the same opinion that I did, I realise how silly that was.
    Yes I think it IS the parents responsibility to fund their childs education, but even though that's not the case in NZ at the moment, these students are still managing to attend higher education. It is not the duty of the state to raise children.
    ChelseaT
    Nymph
    Nymph

Re: I Trolled a Student Allowance FB Page

Post  ChelseaT on Fri Mar 12, 2010 12:52 pm

bullseye wrote:You're right.

It was fairly obvious.

Now the kid's gone and deleted all his replies, so it looks like I'm talking to myself. I take that to mean I won.
    master5o1
    Cyclopes
    Cyclopes

Post  master5o1 on Fri Mar 12, 2010 3:53 pm

Smile City has taught me that very few people know how to argue and debate properly.
    ChelseaT
    Nymph
    Nymph

Post  ChelseaT on Fri Mar 12, 2010 4:02 pm

A for effort.
    ____
    Nymph
    Nymph

Post  ____ on Fri Mar 12, 2010 4:16 pm

master5o1 wrote:Smile City has taught me that very few people know how to argue and debate properly.

You mustn't pay very much attention to real life.
    Psalter
    River-God
    River-God

Post  Psalter on Fri Mar 12, 2010 4:19 pm

____ wrote:
    master5o1 wrote:Smile City has taught me that very few people know how to argue and debate properly.

Dumb-arse, the internets are real life.
    ____
    Nymph
    Nymph

Post  ____ on Fri Mar 12, 2010 4:23 pm

Psalter wrote:
    ____ wrote:

No u.
    Psalter
    River-God
    River-God

Post  Psalter on Fri Mar 12, 2010 4:46 pm

____ wrote:
    Psalter wrote:
    ____ wrote:

No u.

Ah touché, I knew you would best me one of these days.
    xiaoge
    Mortal
    Mortal

Post  xiaoge on Sat Mar 13, 2010 2:37 am

Chelsea T:

I think one point this other person was trying to make is - why should any 25+yo student get a free ride with a student allowance, while an independent 20-24yo has to be means tested based on their parents income? I think this is unfair as well. I think the criteria should be the same regardless of age.

I am in favour of universal student allowances, with results as the only criteria. It's a hard one because the cost is undoubted high with the high percentage of tertiary education, but one would hope this higher educated labour force would translate into a better economic future for the nation.

Please note, I am NOT in favour of free tertiary education, but rather allowing all students a "benefit" for living costs for a limited time, while still having to pay course fees for themselves.
    ChelseaT
    Nymph
    Nymph

Post  ChelseaT on Sat Mar 13, 2010 10:57 am

xiaoge wrote:Chelsea T:
    I think one point this other person was trying to make is - why should any 25+yo student get a free ride with a student allowance, while an independent 20-24yo has to be means tested based on their parents income? I think this is unfair as well. I think the criteria should be the same regardless of age.

I don't see that at all. I'm not even sure how you might have read that from his posts. The entire groups page was full of whiney little kids that were angry someone was getting more than them. Not one of them was in any financial hardship. The age criteria is there because you can't really prove true independence. StudyLink then must assume that 18-24 year olds haven't had enough time to become independant, which is actually the case, more often than not. Those that have been independant, who are still unable to provide for the huge expense of higher education, might need a hand. Like a supplemental benefit for those working in low paid jobs.

xiaoge wrote:I am in favour of universal student allowances, with results as the only criteria. It's a hard one because the cost is undoubted high with the high percentage of tertiary education, but one would hope this higher educated labour force would translate into a better economic future for the nation.

There just isn't the initial boost of money that would be required.

I'm for a larger living costs component of the loan, with no allowance at all. With interest being applied to drop outs. But of course, I was trolling, so my actual opinion didn't matter. I just had to oppose everything they said.

Forgive anything that doesn't make sense. I had two hours sleep last night. Will come back and check this later.
    superarmy
    Nymph
    Nymph

Post  superarmy on Mon Mar 15, 2010 12:26 pm

Ahh yes, the woes of the entitlement state. I wonder if these people support internet censorship laws since they believe the government should support and control every aspect of their lives.
    frup
    Nymph
    Nymph

Post  frup on Tue Mar 16, 2010 9:06 am

Wow Chelsea, I didn't know you had it in you.

There used to be interesting discussions like that on SC a long time ago. These days it's just crazies and conckers.
    Summoner
    Nymph
    Nymph

Post  Summoner on Thu Mar 25, 2010 2:26 am

I just read that... and although compeletely belated...

Nice!

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Tue Dec 12, 2017 8:13 am