The Underworld Of Lightly (& Logically) Moderated Discussion & Debate

I received 'THE letter' today

canterella
    Nymph
    Nymph

I received 'THE letter' today

Post  canterella on Thu Feb 04, 2010 5:36 pm

From our Hon John Key and his trolley-girl. From the limited info about the new National Standards I don't detect anything new or revolutionary in testing the kids and letting the parents know how their child is doing at school. I especially liked this quote :
    "Many parents tell us they're not happy with the 'politically correct' and 'sugar coated' school reports they receive. National Standards will ensure parents receive straight-forward, plain-language reports about exactly how their children are doing."

Really? What does that mean? I find my kids' school report and the conversations with the teachers simple and clear enough, with plain suggestions where the child needs to improve etc. Are we to expect for some kids to be called thick, or even worse, retards?
    As for the comparison in age with their education levels, it is already happening. Our school says precisely at what age our kids are in relation to their reading, maths, spelling etc.

I don't know what the fuss is about from both teachers and the government, it ain't such a big change anyway. I'm afraid that the trend of 'one in five kids leaving school without the basic numeracy and literacy skills they need' to continue regardless.
    Psalter
    River-God
    River-God

Re: I received 'THE letter' today

Post  Psalter on Thu Feb 04, 2010 10:06 pm

canterella wrote:From our Hon John Key and his trolley-girl. From the limited info about the new National Standards I don't detect anything new or revolutionary in testing the kids and letting the parents know how their child is doing at school. I especially liked this quote :
    "Many parents tell us they're not happy with the 'politically correct' and 'sugar coated' school reports they receive. National Standards will ensure parents receive straight-forward, plain-language reports about exactly how their children are doing."

Really? What does that mean? I find my kids' school report and the conversations with the teachers simple and clear enough, with plain suggestions where the child needs to improve etc. Are we to expect for some kids to be called thick, or even worse, retards?
    As for the comparison in age with their education levels, it is already happening. Our school says precisely at what age our kids are in relation to their reading, maths, spelling etc.

I don't know what the fuss is about from both teachers and the government, it ain't such a big change anyway. I'm afraid that the trend of 'one in five kids leaving school without the basic numeracy and literacy skills they need' to continue regardless.

League tables, and the lack of distinction between the variance of starting points for children.
    Donkeycheese
    Nymph
    Nymph

Post  Donkeycheese on Fri Feb 05, 2010 12:25 pm

canterella wrote: I find my kids' school report and the conversations with the teachers simple and clear enough, with plain suggestions where the child needs to improve etc

do you really though? How can you tell if your kids are performing and learning at an acceptable level if you can't compare to that national average? Being the best in a single school does not imply the kids are learning at an acceptable rate

I heard something this morning that said the issue with National Standards is that mainstream media will use the results to effectively run a leader-board. So, the issue isn't the National Standards - it is what they are then used for

The other concern I have is the absent-minded nature of the labour supporters who seems to think that NCEA is anything other than a botch. The sooner we get rid of the "can not fail" attitude the better. Kids need to know that without any application of effort, they will experience this negative thing called "FAIL"
    flat_tack
    Giant
    Giant

Post  flat_tack on Fri Feb 05, 2010 1:06 pm

Hmmm. But my kids' schools do comparisons with the national average as well as the school/class average. Helps me not freak out so much when I see my son is in the 42nd percentile for maths in his class, but the 75th in the country. Razz

It's good to see how the school is doing with regards to teaching too. Worst house in the best street is better than the best house in the worst street and such.

Also, I never got THE letter! Evil or Very Mad
    flat_tack
    Giant
    Giant

Post  flat_tack on Fri Feb 05, 2010 1:14 pm

Donkeycheese wrote:The sooner we get rid of the "can not fail" attitude the better. Kids need to know that without any application of effort, they will experience this negative thing called "FAIL"

I much prefer lack of success to failure. Failing is so final and teaches them not to try again. "Not yet successful" means "do it again, please" or even "Just do it to begin with".

Fear of failure has caused one of my kids to fear trying in case he fails. It's my fault of course for being a less than patient teacher and now I get even more frustrated with him for not wanting to try. Way to fuck a kid up, right?
    canterella
    Nymph
    Nymph

Post  canterella on Fri Feb 05, 2010 1:46 pm

flat_tack wrote:Hmmm. But my kids' schools do comparisons with the national average as well as the school/class average. Helps me not freak out so much when I see my son is in the 42nd percentile for maths in his class, but the 75th in the country. Razz

It's good to see how the school is doing with regards to teaching too. Worst house in the best street is better than the best house in the worst street and such.

Exactly. So what's new? A little bit of tweaking here and there but in essence, same shit, different govt.

Diaz
    Nymph
    Nymph

Post  Diaz on Fri Feb 05, 2010 10:14 pm

Blank

Last edited by Diaz on Tue Mar 30, 2010 11:10 pm; edited 1 time in total
    canterella
    Nymph
    Nymph

Post  canterella on Sun Feb 14, 2010 11:46 am

And I received the letter for a second time yesterday - this time it wasn't addressed to my name, but to a "Householder." I guess no one will be accountable for this waste of taxpayer's money.
    flat_tack
    Giant
    Giant

Post  flat_tack on Sun Feb 14, 2010 3:44 pm

canterella wrote:And I received the letter for a second time yesterday - this time it wasn't addressed to my name, but to a "Householder." I guess no one will be accountable for this waste of taxpayer's money.

Hey! That's MY name! You got my copy Evil or Very Mad

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sat Oct 21, 2017 5:12 am