Tartarus

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Underworld Of Lightly (& Logically) Moderated Discussion & Debate

+3
Linno
the distant one
Jesus Christ
7 posters

The Racism Litmus Test

Jesus Christ
    Jesus Christ
    Nymph
    Nymph

The Racism Litmus Test Empty The Racism Litmus Test

Post  Jesus Christ Sat Sep 19, 2009 9:35 am

Surely this is it. Anyone who reads the entirety of that thread, or even a few posts by poor Steve, and yet still comes away believing the word "pakeha" is some kind of insult, is, to my mind, simply trying to be racist.

That seems like a bold statement to make, but truthfully, the debate is so inane that you could only hold onto the idea of it being an insult if that's what you truly wanted to believe.
    the distant one
    the distant one
    Nymph
    Nymph

The Racism Litmus Test Empty Re: The Racism Litmus Test

Post  the distant one Sat Sep 19, 2009 9:56 am

Jesus Christ wrote:Surely this is it. Anyone who reads the entirety of that thread, or even a few posts by poor Steve, and yet still comes away believing the word "pakeha" is some kind of insult, is, to my mind, simply trying to be racist.

That seems like a bold statement to make, but truthfully, the debate is so inane that you could only hold onto the idea of it being an insult if that's what you truly wanted to believe.

I think the entire thread is summed up perfectly by linno towards the end (as I said in my other thread)....
    Linno
    Linno
    Giant
    Giant

Post  Linno Sat Sep 19, 2009 10:34 am

I made a few more posts, but it's like beating a dead horse...against a brick wall.

I do see all points of view though, I just think some people are looking at the argument all wrong, and are unfairly suggesting people have no right to feel offended in situations where there might have been real offense intended.

Anywho my horse is well and truly a goner.

/racism
    relict
    relict
    River-God
    River-God

Post  relict Sat Sep 19, 2009 10:49 am

Jesus Christ wrote:Surely this is it. Anyone who reads the entirety of that thread, or even a few posts by poor Steve, and yet still comes away believing the word "pakeha" is some kind of insult, is, to my mind, simply trying to be racist.

I use the word pakeha, but I think Linno's recent point in the source topic is valid. I don't think 'pakeha' has come anywhere near as far as 'nigger' in its (right or wrong) connotations of offensiveness, but isn't the principle the same? Thinking about the differences, I guess 'pakeha' has been used more officially? For example, I would assume that US Census forms never had a category 'nigger'.

At the last Census, 15,000 Pakeha New Zealanders checked the "Other" box and wrote in "Pakeha"
    (PMA)
    Linno
    Linno
    Giant
    Giant

Post  Linno Sat Sep 19, 2009 11:46 am

I didn't intend to suggest "nigger" was on a par with "pakeha" in the sense of offensiveness.
    It was just to show how once emotion/offense has been attached to a word (rightly or wrongly), you can't just then expect someone not to be offended because the original meaning of the word wasn't one of offense.
    I wouldn't tell someone they are stupid for being offended by the word nigger, and suggest they are dumb because nigger only really means the colour black.

(Even though I think letting yourself be offended by anything is stupid and weak IMHO. But I realise emotion is a powerful thing and words can be used as abuse.)

Anyway I am soooo done with this thing. For realz.
    relict
    relict
    River-God
    River-God

Post  relict Sat Sep 19, 2009 11:54 am

Linno wrote:I didn't intend to suggest "nigger" was on a par with "pakeha" in the sense of offensiveness.

That was clear. Smile
    Linno
    Linno
    Giant
    Giant

Post  Linno Sat Sep 19, 2009 12:00 pm

Cool, at least something was. Smile
    dabiarch
    dabiarch
    Nymph
    Nymph

Post  dabiarch Sat Sep 19, 2009 7:11 pm

i must admit whilst I was studying at Te Manga Maori.....one girl and i hit it off big time....we travelled a lot together and spent a lot of time together......she decide one day I was her "palangi"....so i turned around and called her my "nigger".....we still call each other that today.......six years later.........at the start we did get some strange looks......especially in a Maori Faculty.......but they soon relalised how much respect we had for each other to be able to accept this.......BTW the girl is half my age....and she is like another daughter to me (just incase there are any ideas forming........ Laughing
    Waireka
    Waireka
    River-God
    River-God

Post  Waireka Sat Sep 19, 2009 7:36 pm

dabiarch wrote:i must admit whilst I was studying at Te Manga Maori.....one girl and i hit it off big time....we travelled a lot together and spent a lot of time together......she decide one day I was her "palangi"....so i turned around and called her my "nigger".....we still call each other that today.......six years later.........at the start we did get some strange looks......especially in a Maori Faculty.......but they soon relalised how much respect we had for each other to be able to accept this.......BTW the girl is half my age....and she is like another daughter to me (just incase there are any ideas forming........ Laughing

Phew - I had this horrific image in my head of two women being friends, thanks for clearing that up.
    dabiarch
    dabiarch
    Nymph
    Nymph

Post  dabiarch Sat Sep 19, 2009 7:44 pm

haha waireka.......even my daughter was wondering..... lol!
    Kissme
    Kissme
    Mortal
    Mortal

Post  Kissme Sat Sep 19, 2009 7:49 pm

Only idiots believe pakeha means white pig or whatever. Idiots or rednecks, take your pick.

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Mar 29, 2024 5:42 pm