Tartarus

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Underworld Of Lightly (& Logically) Moderated Discussion & Debate

2 posters

the ninny state

relict
    relict
    River-God
    River-God

the ninny state Empty the ninny state

Post  relict Sat Sep 05, 2009 12:19 pm

A friend directed me to this article, Warning over 'nanny state' term, though it won't be surprising news to many of you.

A researcher told the Public Health Association conference this week the use of the term 'nanny state' had been used increasingly in the media over the last five years, and that media articles in NZ and the UK had significantly higher uses of this term, and 'political correctness' and 'bureaucracy' than the rest of the world. From his research on the increased use of these terms, he concluded that it appeared to be driven by industries that are afraid of control over the marketing of unhealthy products.

Speaking after his address, Dr Thomson said his advice to people hearing such terms as "nanny state" was they should be sceptical.

It was a signal someone was likely to be trying to fool them.

By using the terms, they were not trying to use a rational argument but to move arguments away from themselves and blame others.

There was a need to use language which described public health activity as stewardship which protected people; language which looked beyond slogans and the stereotyping of opposition to unhealthy products.

Governments which allowed damage to the public were creating the "ninny state", following corporate welfare policies, rather than the common good, Dr Thomson said.
    Jesus Christ
    Jesus Christ
    Nymph
    Nymph

the ninny state Empty Re: the ninny state

Post  Jesus Christ Sat Sep 05, 2009 12:59 pm

I heavily disapprove of the use of the terms "nanny state" and "political correctness". That said, I think in the context which Dr. Thompson is applying them, they hold more weight than they do anywhere else. When I say "more", however, I'm not implying that they hold much weight at all even in this arena. They are redundant excuses for not having real thoughts, but rather internal prejudices, on an issue.

That said, Dr. Thompson appears to be using his own buzz words that strike a similar chord: "ninny state", "corporate welfare policies", "common good".
    relict
    relict
    River-God
    River-God

Post  relict Sat Sep 05, 2009 1:34 pm

Jesus Christ wrote:That said, Dr. Thompson appears to be using his own buzz words that strike a similar chord: "ninny state", "corporate welfare policies", "common good".

Fair point about 'ninny state', but surely 'common good' is an old and common phrase?
    Jesus Christ
    Jesus Christ
    Nymph
    Nymph

Post  Jesus Christ Sat Sep 05, 2009 2:00 pm

relict wrote:
    Jesus Christ wrote:That said, Dr. Thompson appears to be using his own buzz words that strike a similar chord: "ninny state", "corporate welfare policies", "common good".

Fair point about 'ninny state', but surely 'common good' is an old and common phrase?

But an empty one in and of itself. If I tell you something is for the "common good", that could mean anything. I actually believe that regulation of unhealthy foods is directly in contravention to the common good. Immediately, then, his use of it in this context is in no way something unique to his point of view. It holds no weight.
    relict
    relict
    River-God
    River-God

Post  relict Sat Sep 05, 2009 2:25 pm

Jesus Christ wrote:If I tell you something is for the "common good", that could mean anything. I actually believe that regulation of unhealthy foods is directly in contravention to the common good. Immediately, then, his use of it in this context is in no way something unique to his point of view. It holds no weight.

The regulation of unhealthy food is extremely problematic, since what is commonly considered unhealthy changes with time, lags behind research, and differs for individuals.

For example. Eggs are bad because they are high in cholesterol. No wait! Eggs are okay. Pasta and bread are good in large amounts. No wait! They are too refined. Fat is bad because it makes you fat. No wait! 'Good fats help you feel full, and contain essential vitamins A, D, E and K.

The same problem doesn't, in my opinion, apply to such things as tobacco and recreational drugs.

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Mar 29, 2024 3:46 am