The Underworld Of Lightly (& Logically) Moderated Discussion & Debate


    Wanganui 'should have an h'

    Share
    avatar
    Waireka
    River-God
    River-God

    Wanganui 'should have an h'

    Post  Waireka on Mon Mar 30, 2009 1:07 pm

    Wanganui may soon get an ''h'', with the New Zealand Geographic Board finding its name is incorrectly spelt.

    In a statement today, the board said the public would be given three months to make submissions on the proposed name change.

    But Wanganui Mayor Michael Laws said the move would destroy the culture and history of the city.

    Te Runanga o Tupoho had submitted a proposal to the board to change the city's name to Whanganui.

    Geographic Board chairman Don Grant said there was a ''valid case'' to change the spelling.

    ''Wanganui, the name given to the town to reflect its position near the mouth of the Whanganui river, was spelt incorrectly and has never been formally gazetted by this Board or its predecessors.

    ''It is therefore not currently an official New Zealand place name.''

    Mr Laws slammed the Board's decision.

    ''This is a direct attack upon our city and our citizens.''

    Mr Laws said the decision was "morally and historically wrong, and will be resisted with all effort and endeavour by the Wanganui District Council and the vast majority of the citizens of Wanganui."

    In a 2006 referendum, 18 percent of people voted for the ''h''.

    Whanganui means great harbour or expanse of water and was named by Haunui, who came on the Aotea waka more than 600 years ago. Iwi spokesman Ken Mair said the name was considered meaningless without the ''h".
    avatar
    Waireka
    River-God
    River-God

    Re: Wanganui 'should have an h'

    Post  Waireka on Mon Mar 30, 2009 1:10 pm

    Michael Laws is often an idiot.

    Proof above.

    Whanga-nui = Large harbour

    Wanganui = Nothing at all in Maori or English

    It'd still be pronounce W'anganui as west coast Maori in this area drop their h's.
    avatar
    MereMortalBeing
    Mortal
    Mortal

    Re: Wanganui 'should have an h'

    Post  MereMortalBeing on Mon Mar 30, 2009 1:39 pm

    “Maori did not have a written language. That was gifted them by the English missionaries and settlers. ‘Wanganui’ was the pronunciation of the time, and Wanganui was the name that settlers petitioned the Governor with in 1844. Prior to that the settlement had been named ‘Petre’.”

    Mayor Laws said that Wanganui “is a word derived from Maori, rather than a Maori word. Otago is another good example – its Maori spelling is ‘Otakou’.”
    avatar
    Waireka
    River-God
    River-God

    Re: Wanganui 'should have an h'

    Post  Waireka on Mon Mar 30, 2009 2:23 pm

    MereMortalBeing wrote:“Maori did not have a written language. That was gifted them by the English missionaries and settlers. ‘Wanganui’ was the pronunciation of the time, and Wanganui was the name that settlers petitioned the Governor with in 1844. Prior to that the settlement had been named ‘Petre’.”

    Mayor Laws said that Wanganui “is a word derived from Maori, rather than a Maori word. Otago is another good example – its Maori spelling is ‘Otakou’.”

    Petone is another example... Pito-one, end of the sands.

    Regardless, the Whanganui river flows through the city, it is an easy enough ammendment, much like Egmont returning to it's name Taranaki.
    avatar
    master5o1
    Cyclopes
    Cyclopes

    Re: Wanganui 'should have an h'

    Post  master5o1 on Mon Mar 30, 2009 6:15 pm

    The letter h is too cool for Wanganui. Dannevirke should get an h too if Wanganui gets one.

    Fuck Yeah! Dannehvirke!
    avatar
    Linno
    Giant
    Giant

    Re: Wanganui 'should have an h'

    Post  Linno on Tue Mar 31, 2009 11:32 am

    I don't see the big deal, I guess a lot of people are just resistant to change and don't like stuff to be 'different'. Which I think is a sad way to be.
    avatar
    metcalfj
    Nymph
    Nymph

    Re: Wanganui 'should have an h'

    Post  metcalfj on Tue Mar 31, 2009 11:38 am

    I don't really have a strong opinion on this one. It always seemed strange that the river and the city have different spelling. However, as the local iwi pronounce the word without the h it would seem to have been an honest oversight.

    But I will agree to sign a petition to change it just because Waireka is really hot. Rolling Eyes
    avatar
    Waireka
    River-God
    River-God

    Re: Wanganui 'should have an h'

    Post  Waireka on Tue Mar 31, 2009 12:46 pm

    metcalfj wrote:I don't really have a strong opinion on this one. It always seemed strange that the river and the city have different spelling. However, as the local iwi pronounce the word without the h it would seem to have been an honest oversight.

    But I will agree to sign a petition to change it just because Waireka is really hot. Rolling Eyes


    Wink She is ay? Laughing
    avatar
    master5o1
    Cyclopes
    Cyclopes

    Re: Wanganui 'should have an h'

    Post  master5o1 on Tue Mar 31, 2009 1:40 pm

    I can only sign one or two petitions a year and I already signed that CFF one.
    avatar
    canterella
    Nymph
    Nymph

    Re: Wanganui 'should have an h'

    Post  canterella on Thu Apr 02, 2009 11:29 am

    For the sake of linguistic and historical accuracy, good idea.
    In the economic sense, not the best idea. What will be the costs of have it changed, as in maps, council logos, official letterheads, signs etc etc etc.
    The other problem - this will open a can of worms. What about those place names whose spelling got bastardised, like Remuera, Otago, Omaha, Timaru, etc
    North Island and South Island should be renamed URGENTly. The names are just too fucking boring.
    Just wait for some better economic times to do so. I'd like the major cities to get back their original Maori names at some stage.
    avatar
    Waireka
    River-God
    River-God

    Re: Wanganui 'should have an h'

    Post  Waireka on Thu Apr 02, 2009 12:02 pm

    canterella wrote:For the sake of linguistic and historical accuracy, good idea.
    In the economic sense, not the best idea. What will be the costs of have it changed, as in maps, council logos, official letterheads, signs etc etc etc.
    The other problem - this will open a can of worms. What about those place names whose spelling got bastardised, like Remuera, Otago, Omaha, Timaru, etc
    North Island and South Island should be renamed URGENTly. The names are just too fucking boring.
    Just wait for some better economic times to do so. I'd like the major cities to get back their original Maori names at some stage.


    Laughing I agree with the Island names, add New Zealand to that list while we're at it.

    I think we should progressively been ammending all these spelling errors. Whanganui is a great place to start. Can Pito-one be next?

    Renaming these cities would stimulate bits of the economy, for reprints etc... I don't imagine businesses would have to reprint cards and letterhead overnight, the change is, and would be, gradual.
    avatar
    Psalter
    River-God
    River-God

    Re: Wanganui 'should have an h'

    Post  Psalter on Thu Apr 02, 2009 1:22 pm

    Waireka wrote:
    canterella wrote:For the sake of linguistic and historical accuracy, good idea.
    In the economic sense, not the best idea. What will be the costs of have it changed, as in maps, council logos, official letterheads, signs etc etc etc.
    The other problem - this will open a can of worms. What about those place names whose spelling got bastardised, like Remuera, Otago, Omaha, Timaru, etc
    North Island and South Island should be renamed URGENTly. The names are just too fucking boring.
    Just wait for some better economic times to do so. I'd like the major cities to get back their original Maori names at some stage.


    Laughing I agree with the Island names, add New Zealand to that list while we're at it.

    I think we should progressively been ammending all these spelling errors. Whanganui is a great place to start. Can Pito-one be next?

    Renaming these cities would stimulate bits of the economy, for reprints etc... I don't imagine businesses would have to reprint cards and letterhead overnight, the change is, and would be, gradual.

    No. New Zealand is New Zealand.

    Sponsored content

    Re: Wanganui 'should have an h'

    Post  Sponsored content


      Current date/time is Tue Dec 12, 2017 8:13 am