The Underworld Of Lightly (& Logically) Moderated Discussion & Debate

Should we clone endangered species

canterella
    Nymph
    Nymph

Should we clone endangered species

Post  canterella on Fri May 29, 2009 2:07 pm

- to save them from extinction, like for instance the tiger, or closer to home - kakapo and kiwi? Just for the start, until the numbers of individuals become stable and able to reproduce normally.
    Discuss.
    Jesus Christ
    Nymph
    Nymph

Re: Should we clone endangered species

Post  Jesus Christ on Fri May 29, 2009 2:48 pm

canterella wrote:- to save them from extinction, like for instance the tiger, or closer to home - kakapo and kiwi? Just for the start, until the numbers of individuals become stable and able to reproduce normally.
    Discuss.

I think this raises an important question: why do we want to save endangered species?

That said, I think we should, purely because cloning things is awesome.
    canterella
    Nymph
    Nymph

Post  canterella on Fri May 29, 2009 4:36 pm

Jesus Christ wrote:
    canterella wrote:- to save them from extinction, like for instance the tiger, or closer to home - kakapo and kiwi? Just for the start, until the numbers of individuals become stable and able to reproduce normally.
    Discuss.

I think this raises an important question: why do we want to save endangered species?

That said, I think we should, purely because cloning things is awesome.

Good question JC - why not let natural (or unnatural) selection run its course?
    I personally don't see nothing wrong with cloning of animals or plants under threat of extinction, or for mass production. When we get to humans though, it gets a bit curly. scratch
    master5o1
    Cyclopes
    Cyclopes

Post  master5o1 on Fri May 29, 2009 5:12 pm

Cloning does not prevent extinction.

Diaz
    Nymph
    Nymph

Post  Diaz on Sat May 30, 2009 12:12 am

Blank

Last edited by Diaz on Tue Mar 30, 2010 9:41 pm; edited 1 time in total
    master5o1
    Cyclopes
    Cyclopes

Post  master5o1 on Sat May 30, 2009 12:39 am

Diaz wrote:Slight hitch: if you clone, how do you get the necessary genetic variability in there? While they've recovered species naturally from a small stock, it's rather important that inbreeding is prevented. The reason why you'd go that way is to maintain biodiversity, we've had enough experience with introduced species to know what happens when things get thrown out of balance - I'm thinking of things like cane toads over in Aussie which are a huge problem. I can easily imagine scenarios like an massive increase in things like malaria carrying mosquito's becoming an even bigger problem if there isn't frogs or whatever acting as predators to keep the population in check.

Given the current difficulties with cloning, I'm doubtful that we could do it at present anyway but I'd support it provided they have enough genetic material from several individuals in order to re-establish the species.

It's the least we can do after wiping them all out.

Thanks for explaining why cloning doesn't prevent extinction. I was just too lazy to make more than what I wrote above Wink

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Tue Dec 12, 2017 8:15 am