Tartarus

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Underworld Of Lightly (& Logically) Moderated Discussion & Debate

+7
relict
Summoner
woody67
debs
master5o1
Hondanutter
Psalter
11 posters

Thoughts on ANZAC day hijacked from Smile Cemetery.

Psalter
    Psalter
    River-God
    River-God

Thoughts on ANZAC day hijacked from Smile Cemetery. Empty Thoughts on ANZAC day hijacked from Smile Cemetery.

Post  Psalter Sat Apr 25, 2009 12:25 pm

Jesus_Christ
    25/04/2009 11:04:35 AM No doubt I'm going to get flamed for some of this, but I think it's important.

This is one day of the year I always feel very out of it; to put it bluntly, I couldn't care less about ANZAC Day, but not because I haven't thought about it. I have. I appreciate the history behind it, and to some extent, find it very interesting, but I can't help but feel that this is a day that we continue to humour our veterans, and most importantly, humour ourselves; it seems as though a day where we pretend that the deaths of hundreds upon hundreds upon hundreds of good men actually meant something. We pretend that these deaths had some kind of tangible benefit in the real world; like, somehow, today, we are actually better for their sacrifice.

But I ask you how? The causes and motivations behind World War I were so deep and complex that you cannot so easily and xenophobically separate the goodies from the baddies. In the end, on its most basic level, World War I was the result of an ethnic movement in a faraway land that pulled the trigger on the political maneuverings of the ruling elite of the time. None of this had anything to do with the New Zealand everyman, and yet every man, as it were, went to pay the ultimate price for these squabbles.

Why, then, do we honour their service? Why do we treat them as heroes, when they are victims? Why is it that we have to pretend, have to believe, that they died for something? Sometimes people just die, and there's no reason, no redemptive feature, nothing. They're just gone. Do we, as human beings, have trouble accepting that?

Now, I know this isn't a popular viewpoint, and I know there will be a lot of argument brought to bear against me (though in the past when I have assumed that, I have been surprised), and that's fine. I know a lot of people feel very strongly about this subject and I'm willing to accept the consequences of voicing my opinion. I also understand if you feel strongly about this and am not dismissing out of hand your sentiment. I am simply providing a springboard for important discussion.

Simply put; we remember because they were victims. The maxim "lest we forget" is reminding us of the folly of war for the individual man. It reminds us that men like me, men like JC, women like all of you on here sacrificed everything for nothing. Life goes on after war, if we are lucky nothing changes in the greater scheme of things... if a man does not take note of his mistakes, he is destined to repeat them... as it were.
    Psalter
    Psalter
    River-God
    River-God

Thoughts on ANZAC day hijacked from Smile Cemetery. Empty Re: Thoughts on ANZAC day hijacked from Smile Cemetery.

Post  Psalter Sat Apr 25, 2009 12:49 pm

Okay, and i just thought about the concept of Heroism... heroism is something that happens for the benefit of the few, not the many. They were heroes to their friends, they were heroes to the villagers they rescued, they were heroes to the individual Jews that they saved... they weren't necessarily heroes for the world... unless you believe "no man is an island complete unto himself" which I don't.

But heroics should be celebrated.

Last:
    Waireka
    25/04/2009 11:31:05 AM I always wonder how soon the ANZAC day services will die out after the last veterans pass away.

That will take a hell of a long time... seeing as we have ANZAC troops fighting in Afghanistan.
    Hondanutter
    Mortal
    Mortal

Thoughts on ANZAC day hijacked from Smile Cemetery. Empty Thoughts on ANZAC day

Post  Hondanutter Sat Apr 25, 2009 1:28 pm

On ANZAC day, I remember the stories my Father, Grandfather and uncles told of their experiences overseas (Grandfather in WW1, Father and uncles in WW2)
    I lost 2 great uncles in WW1, nobody realy ever talked about them (Only found out about them in family tree)
    master5o1
    master5o1
    Cyclopes
    Cyclopes

Thoughts on ANZAC day hijacked from Smile Cemetery. Empty Re: Thoughts on ANZAC day hijacked from Smile Cemetery.

Post  master5o1 Sat Apr 25, 2009 2:40 pm

ANZAC Day is only good for throwing up on a couch when you're completely sober and looking like a pack of shit from all those drugs you took three weeks ago (easter)
    debs
    debs
    Giant
    Giant

Post  debs Sat Apr 25, 2009 3:19 pm

Well to be honest, its only been since I have become a parent that I have begun to appreciate what ANZAC day truly means.

We attend the dawn service every year in my wee village and I take my children, my hubby as a fire fighter takes part in the March.

I feel myself that its so important, for the reason psalter said

Simply put; we remember because they were victims. The maxim "lest we forget" is reminding us of the folly of war for the individual man. It reminds us that men like me, men like JC, women like all of you on here sacrificed everything for nothing. Life goes on after war, if we are lucky nothing changes in the greater scheme of things... if a man does not take note of his mistakes, he is destined to repeat them... as it were.

It is a well written post and sums up why we partake nicely. My children's great grand dad served in the wars and although he is gone, its amazing to my kids that their grand dad was involved and his behavior afterward etc... Its not just the bravery that is so amazing to them, but the fact he was just a real kiwi bloke
    woody67
    woody67
    Nymph
    Nymph

Post  woody67 Sat Apr 25, 2009 8:06 pm

I always feel a bit saddened on anzac day , it reminds me of how many NZ and AUST men were used as cannon fodder by the british, yes we were far removed from the core reasons behind both wars.....and yet I still feel that their senseless deaths did mean something ... that over the generations we have altered our blind obediance as a nation and progressed to where we do say NO ....No to active fighting as such but stil humane enough to send peace keeping troops or medical help...we have stood up and said nope, no nukes here thanks! and I believe the reason we as a nation have done this , is because of the deaths of our troops in ww1,ww2,korea and vietnam....we have learned not too buy into the bully mentality that is bigger nations ...and why on earth the british weren't put on trial after the gallipoli debacle that saw what can only be described as slaughter of hundreds upon hundreds of our men is beyond me.....if the same thing were to happen today britain's decisionmakers re gallipoli would be up shit creek
    Psalter
    Psalter
    River-God
    River-God

Post  Psalter Sun Apr 26, 2009 1:44 am

War and morality:

I'm confused about war.

On the one hand, I don't believe in killing. On the other hand, I don't believe in sitting idly by while bullies hurt innocents.

If it is okay to kill in war, because it is hoped that there will be a net saving in the lives of civilians that way, does that mean it is okay to torture in war, because that can also result in lives saved?

Either no one had anything to say, or it was inappropriate in that thread, or it just got buried.

More:

Do you respect the right of conscientious objectors, or do you consider they are only looking for an easy way out?

All that is required for evil to prevail, is for good men to stand idle... true and false in war. Good and evil, by-and-large, are points of view, there is no empirical measure of what is good and what is not. However, what is right and what is wrong is a different matter. If your county is attacked, your country could be attacked, or you want to preempt an attack... well, the country that chooses war could be in the right... it depends on who wins.

Conscientious objectors? IMO they should be imprisoned at least... at worst, they should be made to live in one of our world's nations of oppression, then they will see the value of a "righteous war". To be born in to a "civilised" nation holds certain rights and responsibilities. Your rights are guaranteed by law, your responsibilities are to live by, die by, and defend the laws and principles that protect you.

So people die, nothing is really resolved, people go on being people... moths to the flame of self-destruction. That doesn't matter, it could be worse, we could starve and live under a draconian dictator as we destroyed ourselves. It is our responsibility as civilised people in a civilised nation to improve the lot of humanity... sometimes we have to "free the fuck" out of people to do so.

Feel free to reproduce in SC if you so wish... as your own work of course.
    Summoner
    Summoner
    Nymph
    Nymph

Post  Summoner Sun Apr 26, 2009 2:08 am

I had a Woman "bitch" at me at work today about why we opened after 1pm... (as is the law)

I told her that "it was out of respect for those, y'know "guys" that fought and like died in "that" war to help people like you go out and shop like crazy people in a free world."

Obviously, she didn't like my "tone" ... oops, my bad. (meh)

I always think of my granddad and his brothers that fought in the second world war... The Maori battalion and all those that fought for no reason in Gallipoli... Because of some pricks slip up.

I see a need to remember for the reason of this is how we calculate what makes a man/humanatarian (IMO) It shows what man is capable of, the good AND the bad of it.

But that's just me.
    relict
    relict
    River-God
    River-God

Post  relict Sun Apr 26, 2009 9:16 am

Psalter wrote:Conscientious objectors? IMO they should be imprisoned at least... at worst, they should be made to live in one of our world's nations of oppression, then they will see the value of a "righteous war". To be born in to a "civilised" nation holds certain rights and responsibilities. Your rights are guaranteed by law, your responsibilities are to live by, die by, and defend the laws and principles that protect you.

You'd put people in prison who were happy to serve in a medical or similarly helpful role?

Psalter wrote:It is our responsibility as civilised people in a civilised nation to improve the lot of humanity... sometimes we have to "free the fuck" out of people to do so.

Later in the same thread you most recently quoted is the question: ... and what if you go off to war believing you will have a peace keeping [or freeing] role, then when you get there, your orders change?

Psalter wrote: Feel free to reproduce in SC if you so wish... as your own work of course.

*wonders if linking to this source would be following SC's referencing guidelines, or ignoring their advertising ones* scratch
    Psalter
    Psalter
    River-God
    River-God

Post  Psalter Sun Apr 26, 2009 3:07 pm

You'd put people in prison who were happy to serve in a medical or similarly helpful role?

No, that is a reasonable substitute... I would rather have a person behind me that wasn't a coward.

Later in the same thread you most recently quoted is the question: ... and what if you go off to war believing you will have a peace keeping [or freeing] role, then when you get there, your orders change?

That is almost an irrelevant question in NZ... our army is paid to follow orders, they joined, were fed, have been trained and paid just in case such a need arises. But hypothetically speaking... I can understand a person having an aversion to killing but sometimes peacekeeping means killing... it's not an easy one and it would be very naiive of me to say how another should act. I don't think I would have a problem, human life doesn't have too much value to me.
    Diaz
    Nymph
    Nymph

Post  Diaz Sun Apr 26, 2009 3:37 pm

Blank

Last edited by Diaz on Tue Mar 30, 2010 8:22 pm; edited 1 time in total
    relict
    relict
    River-God
    River-God

Post  relict Sun Apr 26, 2009 6:56 pm

Psalter wrote:Sometimes peacekeeping means killing.

Surely that is a given. But what if the rules change after you agree to serve, from ones you can accept, to ones that go against your conscience? Or what if you serve under a superior who expects you to act outside the rules, or for a purpose that isn't the national purpose?

Diaz wrote:I don't think right entirely depends on who wins ... I think 'right' or 'wrong' can be ... assessed against standard principles

Agreed.
    Psalter
    Psalter
    River-God
    River-God

Post  Psalter Sun Apr 26, 2009 7:35 pm

Surely that is a given. But what if the rules change after you agree to serve, from ones you can accept, to ones that go against your conscience? Or what if you serve under a superior who expects you to act outside the rules, or for a purpose that isn't the national purpose?

If we are speaking about the true abhorrent acts of war like torture and so on... well, we live in a country that has systems in place that we can use to stop such actions and so appease our conscience... if we aren't speaking about that, you will have to elaborate please.

Diaz wrote:
    I don't think right entirely depends on who wins ... I think 'right' or 'wrong' can be ... assessed against standard principles

Agreed.

"standard" principles are anything but standard. Values, morality, and ethics are societal and cultural constructions and are therefore neither static, nor universal. If Nazi Germany and Hirohito had emerged triumphant and been able to win the harder "cultural war", then we would have come to learn that Jews needed to die, that the Chinese were rats to be exterminated, that disability = death. The fact that there are still neo-nazi groups speaks for the lack of universal morality.
    relict
    relict
    River-God
    River-God

Post  relict Sun Apr 26, 2009 7:55 pm

Psalter wrote:If we are speaking about the true abhorrent acts of war like torture and so on... well, we live in a country that has systems in place that we can use to stop such actions and so appease our conscience... if we aren't speaking about that, you will have to elaborate please.

Nah, I don't really know what I'm talking about, so I can't elaborate much. Maybe I've been watching too many movies where superiors have their own agenda, or people act from misguided, uncontrolled anger rather than orders.
    Psalter
    Psalter
    River-God
    River-God

Post  Psalter Sun Apr 26, 2009 8:38 pm

relict wrote:
    Psalter wrote:If we are speaking about the true abhorrent acts of war like torture and so on... well, we live in a country that has systems in place that we can use to stop such actions and so appease our conscience... if we aren't speaking about that, you will have to elaborate please.

Nah, I don't really know what I'm talking about, so I can't elaborate much. Maybe I've been watching too many movies where superiors have their own agenda, or people act from misguided, uncontrolled anger rather than orders.

Maybe.
    canterella
    canterella
    Nymph
    Nymph

Post  canterella Tue Apr 28, 2009 7:27 am

ANZAC day is a special day at our place.
    My daughter's birthday! tongue
    Diaz
    Nymph
    Nymph

Post  Diaz Tue Apr 28, 2009 3:05 pm

Blank

Last edited by Diaz on Tue Mar 30, 2010 8:22 pm; edited 1 time in total
    Psalter
    Psalter
    River-God
    River-God

Post  Psalter Thu Apr 30, 2009 11:19 am

I think it's a bit of a trap to say effectively there is nothing objective there, it's a bit like the post-modernistic concepts that say all knowledge is equal when it clearly isn't. You could then claim that literally any action could be right, using the standard claim there is nothing objective you can use to assess this.

Well, yes all knowledge is equal if you are to consider all people to be equal. Importance is of knowledge is judged by the peruser of said information and is thus subjective. The knowledge of the nature of learning and how it is achieved and is thus more important to me than the knowledge of how light bends around a star, but that same knowledge is more important to Quantum physicists. Subjectivity is key.

Universal principles of right and wrong? Using the Nazi example is an interesting way to go... it is often implied that WW2 was about right and wrong... simply because (IMO) Nazi Germany is retrospectively seen as evil... this is not the case, it was a war over borders and a war for survival. Good and Evil, right and wrong had nothing to do with it.

The Geneva convention addresses right and wrong by applying rules to war and what manner of deception you may use to achieve your aims (killing the other guy). Sir Charles Upham is lauded as a hero, he broke the Geneva convention when he earnt his first (I think) VC... you are not allowed to dress in enemy uniform... it's "wrong".
    Diaz
    Nymph
    Nymph

Post  Diaz Thu Apr 30, 2009 11:18 pm

Blank

Last edited by Diaz on Tue Mar 30, 2010 8:23 pm; edited 1 time in total
    Psalter
    Psalter
    River-God
    River-God

Post  Psalter Sat May 02, 2009 1:48 pm

t's a mere technicality but under the Hague Convention of 1907 the use of the uniform of the enemy is not a violation of the law of war if it is used to penetrate the enemy lines but the uniform must be discarded prior to initiation of actual combat and it's also permissible to use enemy uniform in order to spy on the enemy. The one absolute no-no is using the uniform or emblem of a neutral party or one not party to the conflict.

Thanks for the responses first off, interesting person... be more interesting to know who you are in SC. I have ideas, not cemented though.

So I looked up the Hague convention and found that under article 39 of the Hague convention, the use of all enemy insignia, uniform and emblems are delegitimised not only during military operations, but in all preparatory aspects of military operations.

Dinstein, Y. (2004). The conduct of hostilities under the law of international armed conflict. Cambridge university press.

So, wouldn't that place Upham in the wrong?

I'd dispute that Nazi Germany actions were only retrospectively decided to be evil, the world knew of their actions prior to the war. Even though there were groups that espoused eugenics and other principles it never held sway to the extent seen in Nazi Germany where Hitler literally saw society as a living organism that must master the disease, Jews were the invaders undermining the integrity of organism and had to be cut out like a tumour or lanced like an abscess to expel the bacteria. Even arguing border issues are morally neutral is dodgy, because issues of right/wrong do come into it - and I'd say the prevailing view is that it's wrong to invade another sovereign country. It's like stealing, something else we generally consider morally wrong. I don't think being relativistic addresses this.

Dispute away chum, the allies only became allies (involved in the war) out of mutual defence treaties. Sure, I acknowledge that there were people that saw the super-eugenics of Germany as wrong, but still others that saw it as right. This just proves my point.

Will continue... mrs just called me for lunch.
    Diaz
    Nymph
    Nymph

Post  Diaz Sat May 02, 2009 6:40 pm

Blank

Last edited by Diaz on Tue Mar 30, 2010 8:23 pm; edited 1 time in total
    Lynz
    Lynz
    Nymph
    Nymph

Post  Lynz Sun May 03, 2009 2:12 pm

Hulme's wearing of a German Paratrooper's smock during the Crete campaign, when he shot 4 German snipers, was definitely contrary to the Laws of War. Had he been caught the Germans would have legally entitled to shoot him out of hand. His VC was not awarded for those actions but for his courageous behaviour throughout the battle. And the fact he disguised himself to kill the snipers - who were doing a good job of pinning the Kiwis down - is mitigated by the bleeding obvious. He got away with it.
    Diaz
    Nymph
    Nymph

Post  Diaz Sun May 03, 2009 10:46 pm

Blank

Last edited by Diaz on Tue Mar 30, 2010 8:24 pm; edited 1 time in total
    Psalter
    Psalter
    River-God
    River-God

Post  Psalter Mon May 04, 2009 4:40 pm

Well, there you go, I was fairly certain you were michellen but thought you could be a non-SCite (of which we need more). Every perosn that can write with your depth and clarity is registered under their regular nom de plum.

As to Upham and Hulme... Embarassed I guess I should have checked my "facts" and/or memory of past conversations before posting.

What then was their MOTIVATION for one alliance over another, or to stay neutral? Why did Britain, after following a policy of appeasement then enter the war against Germany instead of allying with them against Poland, who they had invaded? Similarly why did Mussolini side with Hitler? Otherwise, there is no reasonable justification for acting one way or another.

One word: Expediency.

Even arguing border issues are morally neutral is dodgy, because issues of right/wrong do come into it - and I'd say the prevailing view is that it's wrong to invade another sovereign country. It's like stealing, something else we generally consider morally wrong. I don't think being relativistic addresses this.

Theft, wrong? This is my point exactly. Theft is not necessarily wrong, it is subjective. Most would agree that a person that steals from another is wrong, add "to feed his family" to the equation and it becomes right... or at least "less wrong". To me, this is proof that the concepts of right and wrong are subjective.

The invasion of Austria was seen by many to be wrong... yet Germans held the view that Austria was stolen from them in the first place. The right of it depends on where you sit. The moral shift that has, over 5 centuries, shaped a world with very few slaves is more evidence of moral relativity.
    superarmy
    superarmy
    Nymph
    Nymph

Post  superarmy Mon May 04, 2009 5:19 pm

The invasion of Austria was seen by many to be wrong... yet Germans held the view that Austria was stolen from them in the first place. The right of it depends on where you sit. The moral shift that has, over 5 centuries, shaped a world with very few slaves is more evidence of moral relativity.

Somewhat of a bad example. Austria was annexed with very little issues. The Czechoslovakian issue of the Sudetenland would be a better example.

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Apr 19, 2024 4:39 pm