Tartarus

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Underworld Of Lightly (& Logically) Moderated Discussion & Debate

+6
canterella
KiwiCrichton
relict
Diaz
superarmy
Waireka
10 posters

Miss California defends gay stance

Waireka
    Waireka
    River-God
    River-God

Miss California defends gay stance Empty Miss California defends gay stance

Post  Waireka Fri Apr 24, 2009 2:24 pm

A Miss USA contestant says God was testing her character when she was asked her views on gay marriage, and will stand by her answer - that marriage is between a man and a woman - despite being called a "dumb bitch" by the judge who asked her the question.

Miss California, Carrie Prejean, was a favourite to win the crown but said she did not regret stating her views on same-sex marriage, which was deemed to have ruined her chances.

"I wouldn't have answered it differently," she told breakfast TV in the US.

"The way I answered may have been offensive. With that question specifically, it's not about being politically correct. For me it was being biblically correct."

Prejean, 21, was asked the question on Sunday night by celebrity blogger Perez Hilton, one of five judges, after earlier completing the swimsuit and evening gown modelling rounds.

Hilton, who is openly gay, asked: "Vermont recently became the fourth state to legalise same-sex marriage. Do you think every state should follow suit. Why or why not?"

"I think it's great Americans are able to choose one or the other," Prejean answered. "We live in a land that you can choose same-sex marriage or opposite marriage.

"And you know what, in my country, in my family, I think that I believe that a marriage should be between a man and a woman.

"No offence to anybody out there, but that's how I was raised and that's how I think it should be between a man and a woman."

A storm of controversy was triggered after Hilton reacted furiously.

On a video blog, Hilton described it as "the worst answer in pageant history" and then added: "She lost not because she doesnt believe in gay marriage, she lost because she's a dumb bitch!".

He said had Prejean won, he would have stormed onto the stage and ripped off her tiara.

Prejean said Hilton's comments had upset her, but she had no regrets and had received a lot of support.

"I've gotten over 500 Facebook friend requests, hundreds of messages from people I don't know, saying how proud of me they are that I stood my ground," she told Fox News.

"That made me the real winner of the night."

Prejean eventually lost on the night of the pageant, finishing runner-up to Miss North Carolina.

She said she knew instantly after answering the question that she would not win, "because I had spoken from my heart, from my beliefs and for my God".

Hilton said she lost "because it was a bad answer" and that Miss USA ought to be more diplomatic and "inclusive".

Hilton has continued to criticise Prejean and argue in favour of gay marriage on his Twitter account.

"I stand by calling her a dumb bitch, just like she's standing by her words from yesterday too," he wrote.

He also joked: "How long until Miss California gets a job working as an anchor for Fox News? See, I helped her!"

In recent hours, Hilton has also used Twitter to question a range of celebrities about their views on gay marriage, including Britney Spears, Mariah Carey, Martha Stewart and Sean "Diddy" Combs.

It's not the first time a US pageant contestant's answer to a question has attracted worldwide headlines.

In 2007, Miss Teen South Carolina - Lauren Caitlin Upton - received international attention for her confused, mangled response to a question about why one-fifth of Americans could not locate the US on a map.
    Waireka
    Waireka
    River-God
    River-God

Miss California defends gay stance Empty Re: Miss California defends gay stance

Post  Waireka Fri Apr 24, 2009 2:25 pm

Should she have had to answer PC, or answer with her honest personal opinion?

I support Gay marriages, but I don't support her being expected to lie.
    superarmy
    superarmy
    Nymph
    Nymph

Post  superarmy Fri Apr 24, 2009 2:26 pm

Good on her for saying what she thinks instead of pretending to care. Perez Hilton needs to die in a fire.
    Waireka
    Waireka
    River-God
    River-God

Post  Waireka Fri Apr 24, 2009 2:32 pm

superarmy wrote:Good on her for saying what she thinks instead of pretending to care. Perez Hilton needs to die in a fire.

Laughing I didn't mind him until I read that article...

Oh and for the lulz...

I love her.
    superarmy
    superarmy
    Nymph
    Nymph

Post  superarmy Fri Apr 24, 2009 2:38 pm

Waireka wrote:
    superarmy wrote:Good on her for saying what she thinks instead of pretending to care. Perez Hilton needs to die in a fire.

Laughing I didn't mind him until I read that article...

Oh and for the lulz...

I love her.

Wow she's the whole package, why can't Americans be more like her?
    Waireka
    Waireka
    River-God
    River-God

Post  Waireka Fri Apr 24, 2009 2:49 pm

She's from Barbados.
    superarmy
    superarmy
    Nymph
    Nymph

Post  superarmy Fri Apr 24, 2009 2:51 pm

I knew something seemed off. Americans aren't THAT smart.
    Diaz
    Nymph
    Nymph

Post  Diaz Fri Apr 24, 2009 3:47 pm

Blank

Last edited by Diaz on Tue Mar 30, 2010 8:20 pm; edited 1 time in total
    relict
    relict
    River-God
    River-God

Post  relict Fri Apr 24, 2009 6:45 pm

Waireka wrote:"The way I answered may have been offensive. ...

"I think it's great Americans are able to choose one or the other," Prejean answered. "We live in a land that you can choose same-sex marriage or opposite marriage.

"And you know what, in my country, in my family, I think that I believe that a marriage should be between a man and a woman.

"No offence to anybody out there, but that's how I was raised and that's how I think it should be between a man and a woman."

On a video blog, Hilton described it as "the worst answer in pageant history" and then added: "She lost not because she doesnt believe in gay marriage, she lost because she's a dumb bitch!".

He said had Prejean won, he would have stormed onto the stage and ripped off her tiara.

On the one hand, one could see 'marriage' as being just a word, and if one gets the same rights and benefits from a 'civil union', then who cares if gay people have to use a different word to get the same rights. If a civil union is not available, or doesn't give the same rights, then that is clearly discrimination.

On the other hand, the arguement that 'marriage' started as a religious institution and should be 'sacred', falls down as soon as we allow secular weddings, or even religious weddings without enforcing adherence to a set of moral laws such as the ten commandments - which of course would be silly.

Ironic to me, that Hilton, in advocating for gay rights, should come across as less tolerant and accepting, than Prejean.
    KiwiCrichton
    KiwiCrichton
    Mortal
    Mortal

Post  KiwiCrichton Fri Apr 24, 2009 9:45 pm

Its a beauty contest for Gods sake, I think good on her for NOT saying what she thought the judges wanted to hear.

I personally couldnt care less what they beleive in. This world of ours is way too PC
    canterella
    canterella
    Nymph
    Nymph

Post  canterella Mon May 11, 2009 9:08 am

Yet her Christian beliefs didn't stop her posing for seminude photos baring her surgically enhanced breasts - oh the irony Laughing
    Waireka
    Waireka
    River-God
    River-God

Post  Waireka Mon May 11, 2009 5:28 pm

canterella wrote:Yet her Christian beliefs didn't stop her posing for seminude photos baring her surgically enhanced breasts - oh the irony Laughing

Funny, but regardless, she has the right to be honest (along with the right to be a hypocrite).
    superarmy
    superarmy
    Nymph
    Nymph

Post  superarmy Mon May 11, 2009 5:39 pm

Waireka wrote:
    canterella wrote:Yet her Christian beliefs didn't stop her posing for seminude photos baring her surgically enhanced breasts - oh the irony Laughing

Funny, but regardless, she has the right to be honest (along with the right to be a hypocrite).

Somewhat unfair, as a part of the incredibly biased news coverage in the states, these photos have been shown all over the news, fuck swine flu and the depression ay?

Calling them topless pictures is indeed a stretch, she was posing for lingerie, facing away from the camera without a bra on.
    master5o1
    master5o1
    Cyclopes
    Cyclopes

Post  master5o1 Mon May 11, 2009 7:18 pm

superarmy wrote:
    Waireka wrote:

Somewhat unfair, as a part of the incredibly biased news coverage in the states, these photos have been shown all over the news, fuck swine flu and the depression ay?

Calling them topless pictures is indeed a stretch, she was posing for lingerie, facing away from the camera without a bra on.

The right to be stupid and the right to religious beliefs.
    Waireka
    Waireka
    River-God
    River-God

Post  Waireka Mon May 11, 2009 8:13 pm

master5o1 wrote:
    superarmy wrote:
    Waireka wrote:

The hypocrite in me says 'surely those rights are the same thing?' Laughing
    Donkeycheese
    Donkeycheese
    Nymph
    Nymph

Post  Donkeycheese Tue May 12, 2009 10:09 am

if she had said that she hates niggers, or objects to equal rights for females, would we be as caring of her rights to express her opinions?

I think not - we would have said "she's a dumb bitch"

The comments made about religion and marriage also fall down because marriage has been around a lot longer than the Christian faith.
    master5o1
    master5o1
    Cyclopes
    Cyclopes

Post  master5o1 Tue May 12, 2009 12:15 pm

Waireka wrote:
    master5o1 wrote:
    superarmy wrote:
    Waireka wrote:

The hypocrite in me says 'surely those rights are the same thing?' Laughing

I was pondering whether I should explicitly state that they may not be the same thing, but decided against force-feeding the idea.
    canterella
    canterella
    Nymph
    Nymph

Post  canterella Tue May 12, 2009 1:19 pm

superarmy wrote:
    Waireka wrote:

ah but if you are religious, there's no way you can pick and choose from it what suits you personally. Or can you? Whatever. The ignorant convictions of a stupid bimbo are hardly worth any admiration Laughing
    Waireka
    Waireka
    River-God
    River-God

Post  Waireka Tue May 12, 2009 8:09 pm

Donkeycheese wrote:if she had said that she hates niggers, or objects to equal rights for females, would we be as caring of her rights to express her opinions?

The comments made about religion and marriage also fall down because marriage has been around a lot longer than the Christian faith.

Of course it does, I still think she's a dumb bitch. But I still don't think that she should have to give a false answer.
    superarmy
    superarmy
    Nymph
    Nymph

Post  superarmy Tue May 12, 2009 8:16 pm

Waireka wrote:
    Donkeycheese wrote:if she had said that she hates niggers, or objects to equal rights for females, would we be as caring of her rights to express her opinions?

Of course it does, I still think she's a dumb bitch. But I still don't think that she should have to give a false answer.

Hey give her a break, she's hot.

*is reason why hes defending her*
    debs
    debs
    Giant
    Giant

Post  debs Tue May 12, 2009 8:17 pm

I actually find myself with an ounce of admiration for her, for answering the question as honestly as she could and saying what she appeared to believe and not what she must of known they wanted to hear.

I disagree with her, but respect that she didn't adhere to the rote response and answered it honestly.
    master5o1
    master5o1
    Cyclopes
    Cyclopes

Post  master5o1 Wed May 13, 2009 9:04 am

debs wrote:I actually find myself with an ounce of admiration for her, for answering the question as honestly as she could and saying what she appeared to believe and not what she must of known they wanted to hear.

I disagree with her, but respect that she didn't adhere to the rote response and answered it honestly.

Agree. I don't care what the answer is, just glad it was an honest response.

...she did not regret stating her views on same-sex marriage...
    Lynz
    Lynz
    Nymph
    Nymph

Post  Lynz Wed May 13, 2009 11:33 am

I admire her for her honesty. She did not say anything offensive.

But I do not agree with her in so far as marriage being a legal relationship between consenting adults.

Traditionally, of course it was a religious relationship as well. The two were intertwined. And I am not aware of any Society, in any time, that permitted queers to engage in it. As for the practice of carpet munching, while no doubt it was not unknown, any concept of it being widespread is ridiculous. Even public homosexual relationships were rare. In fact the only Society, offhand, that I'm aware of, that endorsed it as normal, were the Spartans.

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Apr 19, 2024 4:48 pm