Tartarus

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Underworld Of Lightly (& Logically) Moderated Discussion & Debate

+2
Janny
relict
6 posters

Turia condemns bus firm's English policy

relict
    relict
    River-God
    River-God

Turia condemns bus firm's English policy Empty Turia condemns bus firm's English policy

Post  relict Sat Apr 18, 2009 2:36 pm

Maori Party co-leader Tariana Turia says a Wellington bus company that is asking its workers to speak only English needs a reality check.

Mana Coach Services' company handbook asks its drivers to use only English, even in the staffroom.

Chief executive officer Geoff Norman wrote to the Tramways Union saying "the use of a language in front of others who do not understand what is being said, we consider to be the height of bad manners".

The rule was to prevent staff feeling left out, or that they were being talked about, "critically or otherwise", he said.

(First third of article from The Dominion Post quoted unchanged.)

A good example of a Maori politician advocating for non-Maori, which happens often, and often without recognition.

Speaking of Maori, there was no mention of te reo Maori being spoken in the whole article. Being an official language of NZ, how does one forbid it (regarding general chat and disregarding important messages such as safety ones)?

Edited for link colour.

Last edited by relict on Sat Apr 18, 2009 8:36 pm; edited 1 time in total
    Janny
    Janny
    Mortal
    Mortal

Turia condemns bus firm's English policy Empty Re: Turia condemns bus firm's English policy

Post  Janny Sat Apr 18, 2009 3:19 pm

I agree with it to a certain extent, they CANT forbid anyone from speaking their language in their own (non company) time (lunch, morning tea etc), but if it is in front of clients/customers then I do agree with it.

I dont know about you, but i hate going into shops etc where others are speaking another language, you have no idea what they are saying and I find it quite rude when they have conversations between themselves when others are within hearing distance.
    relict
    relict
    River-God
    River-God

Turia condemns bus firm's English policy Empty Re: Turia condemns bus firm's English policy

Post  relict Sat Apr 18, 2009 4:17 pm

Janny wrote:if it is in front of clients/customers then I do agree with it.

Sure, there is a time and a place where it is appropriate to speak English, or avoid other languages, but explaining this to your staff if necessary, then trusting they can judge well, promotes good relationships. If someone fails to use their good judgment and speaks another language in an unprofessional manner (for example, to gossip about a person who is within earshot), surely they can be dealt with individually, rather than creating a policy. Remember, speaking English can also be offensive, depending on the content and context!

Janny wrote:I find it quite rude when they have conversations between themselves when others are within hearing distance.

I don't mind it, personally, so long as they are not meaning to be disrespectful, and still acknowledge my presence in English if it is appropriate to do so. I see it as an opportunity to become more familiar with the sound of their language, and maybe even pick up a word or two.
    Linno
    Linno
    Giant
    Giant

Post  Linno Sat Apr 18, 2009 4:36 pm

Janny wrote:

I dont know about you, but i hate going into shops etc where others are speaking another language, you have no idea what they are saying and I find it quite rude when they have conversations between themselves when others are within hearing distance.

I have no problem with it whatsoever. So what if you don't know what they are saying, if they are talking amongst themselves then how does it even concern you? It doesn't. unless you happen to be paranoid, self-important, and nosey. Which then makes it your problem, not theirs.

And I completely agree with everything relict has said.
    the distant one
    the distant one
    Nymph
    Nymph

Post  the distant one Sat Apr 18, 2009 5:06 pm

Janny wrote:I agree with it to a certain extent, they CANT forbid anyone from speaking their language in their own (non company) time (lunch, morning tea etc), but if it is in front of clients/customers then I do agree with it.

have you been to non-english speaking country?

if so i doubt you spoke to your other englsh speaking friends/companions in the native language of the place you were visiting. same thing.
    master5o1
    master5o1
    Cyclopes
    Cyclopes

Post  master5o1 Sat Apr 18, 2009 8:21 pm

get rid of turia...the maori party only needs sharples Very Happy
    Waireka
    Waireka
    River-God
    River-God

Post  Waireka Mon Apr 20, 2009 7:38 pm

master5o1 wrote:get rid of turia...the maori party only needs sharples Very Happy

Laughing I agree...

Also how do you ban someone from speaking their first language?

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Mar 29, 2024 5:56 am