The Underworld Of Lightly (& Logically) Moderated Discussion & Debate


    Tony Veitch - the latest

    Share
    avatar
    debs
    Giant
    Giant

    Re: Tony Veitch - the latest

    Post  debs on Fri Apr 17, 2009 11:07 am

    canterella wrote:Sorry, but this just doesn't seem to go away! Veitch should just STFU now and not threaten the media, because the shit will fly back into his face...Just this morning Susan Devoy rung up Radio Live this morning and claimed that she felt that she has been misled into signing a testimonial for Tony Veitch's character which has been used as evidence in the court case - she was left to believe that her signature was needed for Tony Veitch as a reference for him to get a passport. She claimed that would she ahve known what her signature was to be used for, she wouldn't have signed.

    I think if that did happen, that really sucks, but since when has someone needed a character reference to get a passport??
    avatar
    Anjewel
    Nymph
    Nymph

    Re: Tony Veitch - the latest

    Post  Anjewel on Fri Apr 17, 2009 11:20 am

    debs wrote:
    canterella wrote:Sorry, but this just doesn't seem to go away! Veitch should just STFU now and not threaten the media, because the shit will fly back into his face...Just this morning Susan Devoy rung up Radio Live this morning and claimed that she felt that she has been misled into signing a testimonial for Tony Veitch's character which has been used as evidence in the court case - she was left to believe that her signature was needed for Tony Veitch as a reference for him to get a passport. She claimed that would she ahve known what her signature was to be used for, she wouldn't have signed.

    I think if that did happen, that really sucks, but since when has someone needed a character reference to get a passport??

    So true Debs...it is amazing once a case is over how all the BS comes forward from others instead of 'at the time', and also, I could ring Radio Live and pretend Im someone else and make BS statements as well...
    avatar
    canterella
    Nymph
    Nymph

    Re: Tony Veitch - the latest

    Post  canterella on Fri Apr 17, 2009 11:33 am

    Anjewel wrote:
    debs wrote:
    canterella wrote:Sorry, but this just doesn't seem to go away! Veitch should just STFU now and not threaten the media, because the shit will fly back into his face...Just this morning Susan Devoy rung up Radio Live this morning and claimed that she felt that she has been misled into signing a testimonial for Tony Veitch's character which has been used as evidence in the court case - she was left to believe that her signature was needed for Tony Veitch as a reference for him to get a passport. She claimed that would she ahve known what her signature was to be used for, she wouldn't have signed.

    I think if that did happen, that really sucks, but since when has someone needed a character reference to get a passport??

    So true Debs...it is amazing once a case is over how all the BS comes forward from others instead of 'at the time', and also, I could ring Radio Live and pretend Im someone else and make BS statements as well...

    It is obvious that when you're blind with adoration for Tony Veitch you could be inclined to think that everyone else lies.
    So far for it being BS:

    http://www.stuff.co.nz/national/2341906/Devoy-feels-misled-over-Veitch-testimonial
    avatar
    Anjewel
    Nymph
    Nymph

    Re: Tony Veitch - the latest

    Post  Anjewel on Fri Apr 17, 2009 11:38 am

    I dont have admiration for him, I believe he has paid his dues, and should be allowed to put it behind him and move on and not have to have it rammed down his throat everytime...He knows what he did was wrong, he has paid the price already...
    avatar
    canterella
    Nymph
    Nymph

    Re: Tony Veitch - the latest

    Post  canterella on Fri Apr 17, 2009 11:53 am

    Anjewel wrote:I dont have admiration for him, I believe he has paid his dues, and should be allowed to put it behind him and move on and not have to have it rammed down his throat everytime...He knows what he did was wrong, he has paid the price already...

    I agree , but it doesn't seem that HE wants to move on - or he would not have threaten the media with a lawsuit as soon as he got out of the courtroom.
    avatar
    Anjewel
    Nymph
    Nymph

    Re: Tony Veitch - the latest

    Post  Anjewel on Fri Apr 17, 2009 12:04 pm

    canterella wrote:
    Anjewel wrote:I dont have admiration for him, I believe he has paid his dues, and should be allowed to put it behind him and move on and not have to have it rammed down his throat everytime...He knows what he did was wrong, he has paid the price already...

    I agree , but it doesn't seem that HE wants to move on - or he would not have threaten the media with a lawsuit as soon as he got out of the courtroom.

    I think good on him taking on the Media...They need to learn a lesson or two...
    avatar
    debs
    Giant
    Giant

    Re: Tony Veitch - the latest

    Post  debs on Fri Apr 17, 2009 12:17 pm

    canterella wrote:
    Anjewel wrote:I dont have admiration for him, I believe he has paid his dues, and should be allowed to put it behind him and move on and not have to have it rammed down his throat everytime...He knows what he did was wrong, he has paid the price already...

    I agree , but it doesn't seem that HE wants to move on - or he would not have threaten the media with a lawsuit as soon as he got out of the courtroom.

    Sorry I don't have blind admiration for him.

    I just have always been in two minds about this whole affair.

    So therefore I probably argue both sides of it...

    And sorry, but I struggle to believe someone who has traveled as extensively as Susan Devoy would not know that you don't need character references to get a passport.....

    I remain happy with yesterdays outcome based on what appears to be the current standard in New Zealand for this sort of crime, his punishment and sentencing is in line with what is the norm in this country. Personally I think we need to look at that norm. But that is a whole different discussion.

    And its not going to go away as long as the media and the public discuss it, and quite frankly if I was him based on a lot of what was reported and said about him by a few, its not surprising that he feels that he needs to take on the media, the media's role in this whole circus was unbelievable.
    avatar
    canterella
    Nymph
    Nymph

    Re: Tony Veitch - the latest

    Post  canterella on Fri Apr 17, 2009 1:25 pm

    I'm sorry but I fail to see that Veitch has been somehow 'wronged' by the media. He is a celebrity and with that status comes the good as well as the bad and ugly. Tough.
    Secondly, have you applied for the passport lately? Among other conditions, it is required from the applicant to:

    Proof of Identity
    You will require an identity witness to formally identify you on the application form and certify one of your photographs.

    A witness must not:

    * Be a relative;
    * Be your partner; or
    * Live at the same address as you.

    A witness must:

    * Be aged 16 years or over;
    * Be the holder of a valid New Zealand passport;
    * Have known the person applying for the passport for more than 12 months (or since birth for a child under 12 months);
    * Have a daytime contact telephone number;
    * Be contactable during normal business hours; and
    * Be willing to provide the required personal details such as their date of birth and home address.

    A witness will:

    * Fill in the Proof of Identity page in their own handwriting; and
    * Write the full name of the person applying for the passport on the back of one of the photos, write the date and sign their own name on the back of the same photo.


    http://www.dia.govt.nz/diawebsite.nsf/wpg_URL/Services-Passports-How-to-Apply-for-a-New-Zealand-Passport?OpenDocument#five
    avatar
    Psalter
    River-God
    River-God

    Re: Tony Veitch - the latest

    Post  Psalter on Fri Apr 17, 2009 1:44 pm

    canterella wrote:I'm sorry but I fail to see that Veitch has been somehow 'wronged' by the media. He is a celebrity and with that status comes the good as well as the bad and ugly. Tough.
    Secondly, have you applied for the passport lately? Among other conditions, it is required from the applicant to:

    Proof of Identity
    You will require an identity witness to formally identify you on the application form and certify one of your photographs.

    A witness must not:

    * Be a relative;
    * Be your partner; or
    * Live at the same address as you.

    A witness must:

    * Be aged 16 years or over;
    * Be the holder of a valid New Zealand passport;
    * Have known the person applying for the passport for more than 12 months (or since birth for a child under 12 months);
    * Have a daytime contact telephone number;
    * Be contactable during normal business hours; and
    * Be willing to provide the required personal details such as their date of birth and home address.

    A witness will:

    * Fill in the Proof of Identity page in their own handwriting; and
    * Write the full name of the person applying for the passport on the back of one of the photos, write the date and sign their own name on the back of the same photo.


    http://www.dia.govt.nz/diawebsite.nsf/wpg_URL/Services-Passports-How-to-Apply-for-a-New-Zealand-Passport?OpenDocument#five

    So, you are implying that Tony Vietch fooled Dame Susan Devoy into signing a character reference by getting her to sign a back of a photograph and then filling out the Character reference part after she signed it? Or maybe she didn't notice all the writing on the back of this incredibly large passport photo?

    Bit of a stretch isn't it?
    avatar
    debs
    Giant
    Giant

    Re: Tony Veitch - the latest

    Post  debs on Fri Apr 17, 2009 1:57 pm

    canterella wrote:
    Secondly, have you applied for the passport lately? Among other conditions, it is required from the applicant to:



    A witness will:

    * Fill in the Proof of Identity page in their own handwriting; and
    * Write the full name of the person applying for the passport on the back of one of the photos, write the date and sign their own name on the back of the same photo.



    Yes I have actually, all your witness or referree has to do is write the applicants full name on the back of a photo, date it and write their own name.

    They certainly do NOT have to say

    Dame Susan Devoy:

    "As a passionate New Zealander I was totally dismayed and appalled at the manner with which Tony was treated ... Tony deserves a chance to get his life back and to be able to have the opportunity to work again. Are we not a society who believes in forgiveness, a society that allows people to put the past behind them and move forward? A society that realises we all make mistakes but shouldn't have to spend our whole lives paying for them."


    A nice glowing reference to allow travel wouldn't you say??

    I do not buy that she was fooled into writing a passport reference, she doesn't appear to be THAT naive.

    And I accept that you don't believe him to have been wronged in anyway, and I accept that as your right. But frankly its also my right to see differently without being thought of as someone that condones his actions, I am able to separate his actions, from that actions of those others who gleefully misreported and misrepresented the situation to build their own hype and draw an audience.
    avatar
    Anjewel
    Nymph
    Nymph

    Re: Tony Veitch - the latest

    Post  Anjewel on Fri Apr 17, 2009 1:57 pm

    If it were a Passport clarification ID thing, it would be filled out and signed on a Passport Application Form by Susan Devoy, that clearly states it is a Passport App. Form... So she would have known it was for a Passport...The Media, as they do, have probably reported what she said and taken it all out of context to make it look sinister...
    avatar
    canterella
    Nymph
    Nymph

    Re: Tony Veitch - the latest

    Post  canterella on Fri Apr 17, 2009 2:05 pm

    debs wrote:
    canterella wrote:
    Secondly, have you applied for the passport lately? Among other conditions, it is required from the applicant to:



    A witness will:

    * Fill in the Proof of Identity page in their own handwriting; and
    * Write the full name of the person applying for the passport on the back of one of the photos, write the date and sign their own name on the back of the same photo.



    Yes I have actually, all your witness or referree has to do is write the applicants full name on the back of a photo, date it and write their own name.

    They certainly do NOT have to say

    Dame Susan Devoy:

    "As a passionate New Zealander I was totally dismayed and appalled at the manner with which Tony was treated ... Tony deserves a chance to get his life back and to be able to have the opportunity to work again. Are we not a society who believes in forgiveness, a society that allows people to put the past behind them and move forward? A society that realises we all make mistakes but shouldn't have to spend our whole lives paying for them."


    A nice glowing reference to allow travel wouldn't you say??

    I do not buy that she was fooled into writing a passport reference, she doesn't appear to be THAT naive.

    And I accept that you don't believe him to have been wronged in anyway, and I accept that as your right. But frankly its also my right to see differently without being thought of as someone that condones his actions, I am able to separate his actions, from that actions of those others who gleefully misreported and misrepresented the situation to build their own hype and draw an audience.

    OK my mistake, but she wrote these references when it wasn't known that he will plead guilty.
    I accept that you think Tony Veitch has been wronged, and my opinion is that Kristen Dunne Powell has been wronged even more and portrayed as a person who had deserved the bash.
    avatar
    debs
    Giant
    Giant

    Re: Tony Veitch - the latest

    Post  debs on Fri Apr 17, 2009 2:12 pm

    I absolutely and categorically do NOT believe that Tony was right to do what he did,

    Kirsten absolutely did NOT deserve what he did to her, in NO WAY was what he did OK or justifiable in any way.

    I am not sure about the way she handled herself afterwards though, BUT no doubt what was done to her messed with her emotionally as well as physically.

    But in that respect, 2 wrongs don't make it right. The media played a huge role in this whole affair and will continue too. The leaked rubbish about both her and him was appalling and ultimately could have had the potential of being quite damaging for both Kirsten's and Tony's right for this to have been dealt with through the courts in a fair and unbiased manner.
    avatar
    the distant one
    Nymph
    Nymph

    Re: Tony Veitch - the latest

    Post  the distant one on Fri Apr 17, 2009 2:12 pm

    but it wasnt a reference for a passport.

    vietch wouldnt hagve been able to travel due to his bail conditions, she was appealing the conditions thats all. it wasn't for a new passport. it was for the court to give back his current passport and allow him to travel. so the passport process is irrelevant,.


    cosndering it was vietch;s mate who went to the dom post i dont really see why there is a feeling of pityt towards the guy. sure he is being trailled by the media but if he was my mate and hed pushed his missus down the stairs and broke her back i would be vilifying him just as much
    avatar
    canterella
    Nymph
    Nymph

    Re: Tony Veitch - the latest

    Post  canterella on Fri Apr 17, 2009 2:33 pm

    debs wrote:I absolutely and categorically do NOT believe that Tony was right to do what he did,

    Kirsten absolutely did NOT deserve what he did to her, in NO WAY was what he did OK or justifiable in any way.

    I am not sure about the way she handled herself afterwards though, BUT no doubt what was done to her messed with her emotionally as well as physically.

    But in that respect, 2 wrongs don't make it right. The media played a huge role in this whole affair and will continue too. The leaked rubbish about both her and him was appalling and ultimately could have had the potential of being quite damaging for both Kirsten's and Tony's right for this to have been dealt with through the courts in a fair and unbiased manner.

    Are we forgetting here that they are 'celebrities' of sorts? (very minor if you compare it to world standards, but still) They can expect their private life to be dissected, it comes with a job, same as getting lovely stories and airbrushed pictures from women magazines when things are OK. You can't have fame and privacy. You have to live with that. Or you choose to do a low profile job which doesn't pay as much.
    avatar
    debs
    Giant
    Giant

    Re: Tony Veitch - the latest

    Post  debs on Fri Apr 17, 2009 3:48 pm

    So being a celebrity gives people Carte Blanche to treat people with no sense of respect or decency??

    I don't accept that, I do believe that they do sacrifice an element of privacy when you live in the public eye, but no job should require a person to sacrifice basic common rights. The right to a fair trial being one of those rights

    He is taking the stand he is because he (I assume) believes people took things too far and because of certain statements said about him in the media by certain personalities he (I assume) believes that his right to a fair and unbiased trial was jeopardised.

    Or do you believe that because of his "celebrity" he isn't entitled to a fair hearing??

    Oh and she wasn't a celebrity at all.

    Oh and TDO you make a fair point, but based on that Dame Susan Devoy thought she was writing a character reference to have his bail conditions reviewed to allow travel for work etc... Wouldn't that then imply that she knew the reference was going to be at least used in a bail hearing, so therefore in the court? It just reeks a little of buyers remorse to me.....

    I mean if her reference was for him to "he has to move on and work again " I can't see why she is so upset about it unless her feeling this way was more as a result of a "barrage" of emails and phone calls questioning her character supporting someone who had pleaded guilty of violence abuse.

    She also said she would not necessarily have refused to provide a testimonial for his sentencing.

    I say that if people loathe him and feel strongly he should suffer more, don't watch him, turn him off, turn off the news when his items are being reported. Hell write a letter.......whatever.

    I do not pity him, not at all. BUT I believe based on our current sentencing standards he has been treated appropriately by the courts and his victim has received much more compensation than yours/or my neighbour would.

    I think if our goal is reperation and rehabilitation, then was has happened is the right start, of course we wont know if he wont do it ever again for sometime. But its the appropriate start in my view based on NZ's current standards.


    Last edited by debs on Fri Apr 17, 2009 4:24 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : I can't spell for shit)
    avatar
    Anjewel
    Nymph
    Nymph

    Re: Tony Veitch - the latest

    Post  Anjewel on Fri Apr 17, 2009 4:04 pm

    by debs on Fri Apr 17, 2009 3:48 am

    So being a celebrity gives people Carte Blanche to treat people with no sense of respect or decency??

    I don't accept that, I do believe that they do sacrifice an element of privacy when you live in the public eye, but no job should require a person to sacrifice basic common rights. The right to a fair trial being one of those rights

    He is taking the stand he is because he (I assume) believes people took things too far and because of certain statements said about him in the media by certain personalities he (I assume) believes that his right to a fair and unbiased trial was jeopardised.

    Or do you believe that because of his "celebrity" he isn't entitled to a fair hearing??

    Oh and she wasn't a celebrity at all.

    Oh and TDO you make a fair point, but based on that Dame Susan Devoy thought she was righting a character reference to have his bail conditions reviewed to allow travel for work etc... Wouldn't that then imply that she knew the reference was going to be at least used in a bail hearing, so therefore in the court? It just reeks a little of buyers remorse to me.....

    I mean if her reference was for him to "he has to move on and work again " I can't see why she is so upset about it unless her feeling this way was more as a result of a "barrage" of emails and phone calls questioning her character supporting someone who had pleaded guilty of violence abuse.

    She also said she would not necessarily have refused to provide a testimonial for his sentencing.

    I say that if people loathe him and feel strongly he should suffer more, don't watch him, turn him off, turn off the news when his items are being reported. Hell write a letter.......whatever.

    I do not pity him, not at all. BUT I believe based on our current sentencing standards he has been treated appropriately by the courts and his victim has received much more compensation than yours/or my neighbour would.

    I think if our goal is reperation and rehabilitation, then was has happened is the right start, of course we wont know if he wont do it ever again for sometime. But its the appropriate start in my view based on NZ's current standards.

    Agreed..
    avatar
    canterella
    Nymph
    Nymph

    Re: Tony Veitch - the latest

    Post  canterella on Fri Apr 17, 2009 5:12 pm

    Or do you believe that because of his "celebrity" he isn't entitled to a fair hearing??


    Now where did I say that? You're assumptions are wrong. I hope that you know that there is a difference between a court trial and public opinion. People who are sitting as jurors don't necessarily know anything about Tony Veitch from the media or otherwise.
    avatar
    canterella
    Nymph
    Nymph

    Re: Tony Veitch - the latest

    Post  canterella on Fri Apr 17, 2009 5:13 pm


    I say that if people loathe him and feel strongly he should suffer more, don't watch him, turn him off, turn off the news when his items are being reported. Hell write a letter.......whatever.


    Again, you're assuming wrong. I tend to look at this case from a less heated point of view.
    avatar
    debs
    Giant
    Giant

    Re: Tony Veitch - the latest

    Post  debs on Fri Apr 17, 2009 5:54 pm

    canterella wrote:Or do you believe that because of his "celebrity" he isn't entitled to a fair hearing??


    Now where did I say that? You're assumptions are wrong. I hope that you know that there is a difference between a court trial and public opinion. People who are sitting as jurors don't necessarily know anything about Tony Veitch from the media or otherwise.


    I wasn't saying you said that, but you have constantly implied that the media attention was just, so 'tough". The fact is, if that media attention is untruthful, biased and outright wrong, that would of course in some cases influence a jury.

    Publicity is to be expected, persecution shouldn't be, I assume that is what he is fighting against.

    They may not know anything that is true, but when before the trial people in the media are spouting off untruths and declaring certain things as fact that aren't, it certainly can wrongly influence public opinion, and its naive to assume that members of a jury wont hear that and let that influence them. You would hope that they wouldn't, but history has proven that to be not always be the case.

    I am sorry if I have misunderstood the level of "heat" in your posts Embarassed
    avatar
    Lynz
    Nymph
    Nymph

    Re: Tony Veitch - the latest

    Post  Lynz on Sat Apr 18, 2009 1:15 pm

    There is undoubtedly an element of hysteria in this case. As I have said elsewhere, neither of them, to my mind, have come out of this with any credit. He is dickhead, she a self-centred bimbo. Who, in my opinion, engineered the resultant Court case in an attempt to destroy his marriage. She wanted revenge, simple as that.

    Tony of course, has proved a less than edifying spectacle. In the first place, by not being able to control himself. Subsequently, by casting g himself as a victim; the only real remorse he feels is for himself. Tryin to blame the media for the circus, when he in the past supped at their table, is more than a little precious.

    Then there are the latest round of idiots saying, 'I didn't mean it that way, or for that purpose.' Those people who offered references for Tony, and now it has come to light, uttering weasel words in 'atonement.' Who has ever given a reference to someone with an implied qualification as to how it is to be used? Simple; if you think someone worthy of a character reference; then ipso facto, they are worthy of it. And can use it for any purpose. Or don't fucking do it!

    Finally, if we needed it, we have had a lesson in ethics from the media exceeding anything a school of sharks has ever done. Talk about turning on your own at the hint of a sniff of blood.
    avatar
    the distant one
    Nymph
    Nymph

    Re: Tony Veitch - the latest

    Post  the distant one on Sat Apr 18, 2009 5:10 pm

    Lynz wrote:There is undoubtedly an element of hysteria in this case. As I have said elsewhere, neither of them, to my mind, have come out of this with any credit. He is dickhead, she a self-centred bimbo. Who, in my opinion, engineered the resultant Court case in an attempt to destroy his marriage. She wanted revenge, simple as that.

    Tony of course, has proved a less than edifying spectacle. In the first place, by not being able to control himself. Subsequently, by casting g himself as a victim; the only real remorse he feels is for himself. Tryin to blame the media for the circus, when he in the past supped at their table, is more than a little precious.

    Then there are the latest round of idiots saying, 'I didn't mean it that way, or for that purpose.' Those people who offered references for Tony, and now it has come to light, uttering weasel words in 'atonement.' Who has ever given a reference to someone with an implied qualification as to how it is to be used? Simple; if you think someone worthy of a character reference; then ipso facto, they are worthy of it. And can use it for any purpose. Or don't fucking do it!

    Finally, if we needed it, we have had a lesson in ethics from the media exceeding anything a school of sharks has ever done. Talk about turning on your own at the hint of a sniff of blood.

    how did she engineer anything? his mate went to the papers not her.
    avatar
    Tikva
    Nymph
    Nymph

    Re: Tony Veitch - the latest

    Post  Tikva on Sat Apr 18, 2009 11:06 pm

    Lynz wrote:There is undoubtedly an element of hysteria in this case. As I have said elsewhere, neither of them, to my mind, have come out of this with any credit. He is dickhead, she a self-centred bimbo. Who, in my opinion, engineered the resultant Court case in an attempt to destroy his marriage. She wanted revenge, simple as that.

    Tony of course, has proved a less than edifying spectacle. In the first place, by not being able to control himself. Subsequently, by casting g himself as a victim; the only real remorse he feels is for himself. Tryin to blame the media for the circus, when he in the past supped at their table, is more than a little precious.

    Then there are the latest round of idiots saying, 'I didn't mean it that way, or for that purpose.' Those people who offered references for Tony, and now it has come to light, uttering weasel words in 'atonement.' Who has ever given a reference to someone with an implied qualification as to how it is to be used? Simple; if you think someone worthy of a character reference; then ipso facto, they are worthy of it. And can use it for any purpose. Or don't fucking do it!

    Finally, if we needed it, we have had a lesson in ethics from the media exceeding anything a school of sharks has ever done. Talk about turning on your own at the hint of a sniff of blood.

    Well said, Lynz! I don't think I would have even known that Susan Devoy was one of those that gave Tony a reference if she hadn't been on the news complaining about how her reference had been used, and threatening legal action!
    avatar
    canterella
    Nymph
    Nymph

    Re: Tony Veitch - the latest

    Post  canterella on Sun Apr 19, 2009 10:54 am

    I don't like Michael Laws at the best of times, but I completely agree with what he wrote about this whole sorry affair:

    TONY VEITCH is right. The media are like Saturn they devour their own children.

    It is the nature of the beast that birthed him. A circular existence of manufactured celebrity and faux glamour, where there is no grander spectacle than attesting to the villainy of a colleague gone bad.

    Of course, it may be the ultimate hypocrisy for the media to fashion morality to fit their teeth. They judge and condemn, or excuse and condone, according to no greater moral code than the immediacy of the front page or the lead item. And their bottom line is always profit.

    But Veitch was an active part of that world. As a breakfast host for Radio Sport, he enjoyed playing judge, jury and executioner to any number of errant sporting personalities. As a talking head for TVNZ, or an entertainer for Touchdown, he parlayed his perky personality for profit. Life was good and along with the status came a collective salary of $500,000 a year.

    And then that fateful night, at the end of a toxic relationship. Thursday's district court confession was the inevitable consequence.

    I wrote a little less than a year ago that I empathised with Veitch because my resignation from parliament 13 years ago had similar trappings of over-reaching ego and rampant denial. But I also noted that his "mea culpa" of the time was crafted and insincere a ruse to shift responsibility.

    I'm not convinced that anything has changed, particularly given his post-sentencing performance on the steps of the Auckland District Court. This was an act of anger, not some concession of contrition. Because the former broadcasting star wanted to make two points, and he did.

    First, that he had plea-bargained only because the trial was so far away. His argument seemed to be that if the trial had been tomorrow, then his original "not guilty" plea would have been vindicated.

    Second, elements of the media were even bigger bastards than him, and that he was now coming for them.

    There will be those who welcomed such defiance. And yet it is a hollow anger, scooped of its sanctity by the realisation that things got so bad for the feisty broadcaster that he tried to take his life. Three times.

    When questioned as to why, Veitch said that it was because he wanted to make things better, especially for those who loved him. Although that logic might appear cock-eyed this Sunday morning, it was the one act of nobility that one can ascribe to the man. Sometimes suicide is selfless an act of love rather than selfish escape.

    Yet Tony Veitch is not a bad man. He is not beyond redemption nor rescue. And the nature of justice is that one's sentence is society's satisfaction. Once it is concluded, then our interest should and must end.

    I have little doubt that TRN's general manager, Bill Francis, will re-employ Veitch, and sooner rather than later. That is his commercial decision and there is no right or wrong either way. TRN is a privately owned radio network answerable only to its shareholders.

    Similarly, Television New Zealand will restrain itself from re-employing Veitch. TVNZ is a publicly owned corporation with its own peculiar and political sensibilities.

    It is still embarrassed by its initial reaction to the Veitch affair and by its adoption of the Kim Il Sung school of ethics.

    But Veitch does need to be counselled by both his media adviser, Glenda Hughes, and by his legal counsel about going after the media in the belief that this will somehow restore his reputation.

    How? He is a convicted spousal abuser. He kicked a woman when she was down and broke bones in her back. He admits such. He escaped other counts of assault only because of a plea bargain. He was, as Judge Jan Doogue noted, "the author of his own misfortune". He has a criminal conviction for injury with reckless intent.

    What did any media commentator say, write or broadcast that was worse than that? Sure, talkback boofheads like Willie Jackson have characterised him as a base mongrel but fair comment, surely. That's not defamation it's honest opinion. An opinion based upon the facts.

    At the moment, New Zealand is running roughly 50/50 on Tony Veitch. Fifty percent think that he's been punished enough and that this should be the end of it. And the rest think that he should never play any public role, ever again. Despite misgivings, I tend to be in the first queue.

    He is not a paedophile, he is not a rapist, he is not a murderer. He has not defrauded the vulnerable of their life savings. These are crimes that should carry a lifelong stigma. And I generally believe in the doctrine of the second chance. And even the third if the proprieties of acceptance, apology and atonement are observed.

    Thursday's act of bravado will test that public slack. The best route to Tony's rehabilitation is for him to keep his counsel, do his community work, and accept a role as an unpaid advocate against spousal violence. And then the majority of the public of this country will forgive him. Maybe, even forget.

    And for those of the media who were unfair, overly critical and just plain nasty there is a simple revenge. Live a good life. Slowly succeed. If there is one thing that all critics hate it is being ignored. And that you win despite them.


    http://www.stuff.co.nz/sunday-star-times/opinion/2344631/Michael-Laws-Penance-and-success-will-shut-up-the-critics
    avatar
    Tikva
    Nymph
    Nymph

    Re: Tony Veitch - the latest

    Post  Tikva on Sun Apr 19, 2009 12:04 pm

    There is one question about this whole sorry affair that I suspect I already know the answer to, but quite frankly, don't like that answer, and that is simply:

    Why did the Police decide to prosecute this case (take it to court)?

    IMHO, the answer is simple ~ it had come to the attention of the Media. The following is a timeline of Events for this saga:

    Timeline of events surrounding broadcaster Tony Veitch's legal battle:

    July 7, 2008 - Media reports say Veitch assaulted his former partner, Kristin Dunne-Powell, and paid her to keep quiet.

    July 8, 2008 - Veitch takes leave from his Radio Sport morning show and his TV One News sports presenting position.

    July 9, 2008 - In a press conference, Veitch admits he "lashed out in anger" at his Dunne-Powell at his Auckland home in early 2006 and paid her money for loss of income and distress.

    July 10, 2008 - Police announce investigation into allegations; Veitch suspended from Radio Sport.

    July 11, 2008 - Veitch dumped from TVNZ Beijing Olympics reporting team.

    July 12, 2008 - Executives from TVNZ and The Radio Network (TRN) admit they knew of problems between Veitch and Dunne-Powell.

    July 17, 2008 - Veitch resigns from TVNZ and TRN jobs; Dunne-Powell lodges formal complaint with police against Veitch.

    August 18, 2008 - Police charge Veitch with six counts of male assaults female and one count of injuring with reckless disregard; he appears in Auckland District Court and is remanded on bail.

    September 5, 2008 - Veitch is reportedly rushed to Auckland Hospital for the night after disappearing from his home and being found in a remote Northland area.

    January 2, 2009 - Veitch taken to Thames Hospital overnight after reportedly being found by police and ambulance staff in a distressed state on a Coromandel beach.

    April 16, 2009 - Veitch pleads guilty to one charge of injuring his former girlfriend with reckless disregard. Six assault charges were dropped.

    You will no doubt notice that the Police decided to investigate the allegations before Dunne-Powell lodged any formal complaint against him with them. I personally find that a bit odd, but am aware that the Police are well within their rights to do so.

    My problem is that they appear to pick and choose the crimes they investigate and prosecute based NOT upon the crime itself, but upon whether or not the Media know about it. Three times in the past 2 years I have been to the Police, to lay 3 complaints of "Male Assaults Female" against my ex husband, and still, nothing, nada, not interested (yet). Although my Ex assaulted me far more than 3 times during our relationship, there are only 3 occasions for which I have any evidence, and which also occurred in the last 10 years (kinda like the statute of limitations for this particular offence), hence the low number of complaints.

    I am left to wonder ~ if my ex was someone who was in the public eye, as Tony Veitch was, would the outcome up to this point have been different to what I have experienced?

    Don't have to wonder for long though ~ the answer is glaringly obvious.

    Sponsored content

    Re: Tony Veitch - the latest

    Post  Sponsored content


      Current date/time is Fri Aug 18, 2017 10:39 pm